Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!) (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/590650-the-ims-discussion-thread-read-this-first.html)

5CHN3LL 07-03-2014 11:27 AM

<Opinion>
Since that precedent of excluding cars that had been in service for more than 10 years was set in the existing settlement, I think it's unlikely to see any additional suit addressing the older cars (primarily because the attorneys will figure that the money has been made off of this topic and will move on to greener pastures).
</Opinion>

Originally Posted by 487 (Post 11482578)
does anyone know of a class action suit covering earlier 996s regarding IMS, I have a 99 with as yet no problems

pantdino 07-05-2014 06:02 PM

What percent of 2000 MY cars had the double row IMS bearing?

I understand no one knows exactly, but is there a general feeling that half or 2/3 or whatever of the 2000 cars still had the double row?

D6lc 09-05-2014 10:29 AM

So this winter I am going to drop my tranny and check/replace my clutch. It pisses me off to say this but whilst doing it I will do the IMS, I don’t for one second think it needs it, but when I come to sell the car anyone with an ounce of intelligence will do an internet search and read the hype.

So I don’t want to pay LN for all their marketing hype and fork out $600 for the kit, I like the look of the Pelican kit, but wondered if anyone has purchased their own ceramic bearing to put in the pelican kit?

D6lc 09-05-2014 10:35 AM

scrap my question, I just watched Pedro's youtube showing a brand new ceramic vs a ceramic with 45k on, no way I am fitting one of those to my engine. I'll go with the full Pelican kit

DTMiller 10-09-2014 09:48 PM

I just want to post in the four year old thread which no one reads even though the title says to read it first.

santana86 10-24-2014 11:48 PM

I just had my IMSB replaced with a LN engineering bearing. I had it done along with the clutch, flywheel, aos, water pump, thermostat, fluids, etc...

Eurotech Motorsports in Natick, Ma did the work, great experience, no issues at all. I've been taking my cars to Farley (head mechanic and owner) for years now, great guy, very honest and reasonable. I recommend Eurotech to anyone who needs any work done on their Porsche (Farley is a former 996 owner).

Eurotech Motorsports
15A Cochituate
Natick, Massachusetts 01760
Phone (508) 647-3799
Email eurotechnatick@yahoo.com

tlisotta 11-02-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by santana86 (Post 11750644)
I just had my IMSB replaced with a LN engineering bearing. I had it done along with the clutch, flywheel, aos, water pump, thermostat, fluids, etc...

Eurotech Motorsports in Natick, Ma did the work, great experience, no issues at all. I've been taking my cars to Farley (head mechanic and owner) for years now, great guy, very honest and reasonable. I recommend Eurotech to anyone who needs any work done on their Porsche (Farley is a former 996 owner).

Eurotech Motorsports
15A Cochituate
Natick, Massachusetts 01760
Phone (508) 647-3799
Email eurotechnatick@yahoo.com

What did that run cost wise? I am in the market for a 996 and want to budget for this when looking

santana86 11-02-2014 09:15 PM

The total in parts was about 3000, and the labor was less then 2000; I did do more than what was required, but I had built in 5k into my budget when I was looking for my car, so I maxed that..., but I am now very confident when I drive my car that I will not have any major issues in the near future.

Good luck with your search.

tlisotta 11-03-2014 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by santana86 (Post 11773100)
The total in parts was about 3000, and the labor was less then 2000; I did do more than what was required, but I had built in 5k into my budget when I was looking for my car, so I maxed that..., but I am now very confident when I drive my car that I will not have any major issues in the near future.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you!

vargas 11-08-2014 03:58 AM

Hello everyone,

first post here...

I've always been an air cooled 911 owner but have now recently purchased an '02 C4S that was once a CPO. This 996 has 38k miles and in the service history, it shows a RMS replacement back at about 11k miles done by Porsche. I called the dealer to inquire if they serviced the IMS but they could not verify. How can I look further into this? I have called Porsche and they are unable to help. I've driven this 996 @ relatively high RPM's prior to inspection and after. Runs solid...should I be concerned?

Thank you in advances to all responses!

Hardback 11-12-2014 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by vargas (Post 11787709)
Hello everyone,

first post here...

I've always been an air cooled 911 owner but have now recently purchased an '02 C4S that was once a CPO. This 996 has 38k miles and in the service history, it shows a RMS replacement back at about 11k miles done by Porsche. I called the dealer to inquire if they serviced the IMS but they could not verify. How can I look further into this? I have called Porsche and they are unable to help. I've driven this 996 @ relatively high RPM's prior to inspection and after. Runs solid...should I be concerned?

Thank you in advances to all responses!

I would just drive the car and enjoy it for now. You can install a magnetic drain plug to catch any metals floating in oil, cheap mod. A lot of members will tell you that if IMS bearing is concerning you then replace at time of new clutch for peace of mind. Good luck with your new 4S! :rockon: And thanks for using this thread to post your question.

aggravation 11-17-2014 06:14 PM

Is there a range of model years that the service of, or similar to, the IMSB is easier to do?
I think I read some mention of a range of years where the engine had to be opened up to retrofit or replace the IMSB. Other threads seem to imply you just drop the transmission.

Am I confusing some other component with the IMSB? Maybe it was early 997's?

And I put this question here primarily because I don't want to piss people off who are sick of the IMSB topics but the real crux of my curiosity is to identify which engines are more or less friendly to important service...be it IMSB or other components that require service.

Thanks!

Ahsai 11-17-2014 07:50 PM

Thanks for using this thread for IMSB. Only 997s need engine opened up to address the IMSB (except some earlier 997.1). All 996 IMSB can be addressed with just the transmission drop and not opening up the engine.

JMLavoie 11-18-2014 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by pantdino (Post 11488108)
What percent of 2000 MY cars had the double row IMS bearing?

I understand no one knows exactly, but is there a general feeling that half or 2/3 or whatever of the 2000 cars still had the double row?

I have a '00 C2 as well.
Mine is an early build: Last 4 numbers of VIN are ...0220 and it was assembled in Aug 99. So I should be 99% sure I have a dual row.
My take on this is if your car was assembled closer to May 01, there is a slight chance it could feature a single row bearing but again much more likely it will have a dual-row.
Porsche's configuration control appears to be in the realm of a crapshoot when it comes to IMS bearings in 99Sixes.
My 2 CDN cents!

JD ARTHUR 11-20-2014 10:51 PM

Mine ends in 3075. How do you know when it was built? Mine had the double row bearing.