The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!) - Page 23 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Forum
Reload this Page >

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Old 12-03-2017, 08:13 PM
AzDropTop
User

Originally Posted by professorman View Post
sorry, edited my post for clarity. I am replacing it now, but I will not replace it a second time in the future.
No worries at all, I was just confused. Which is not hard to do. LOL I thought about the same scenario for my car down the road when I need a new clutch...Will I change the bearing again or not? I guess we shall see if I own it that long. Cheers brother.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:14 PM
sheatley
User

I have been debating for the last year on a new 911. For the price difference in a 997.2 (no IMS issue), I cannot see anything that I want above what my 2003 Carrara cab has. I truly love this car and still frequently sit in my garage, gazing at it. 5 years and 75,000 miles.
I decided it could be my last car, so I wanted to get as many potential problems fixed. I just took it in for first big service that I could not do myself with IMS single row retrofit dual row pro, new clutch (10% left), flywheel, AOS, coolant tank, water pump, thermostat, and tires. $6800 but way less than any 997.2 would have cost had I sold my 996 as a down payment. Only $750 for the IMS which is good for 75k miles. I can do that twice for cost of the Solution. The next IMS will likely be needed exactly when the clutch needs to be done again.
Driving off from the Indy, I had my usual huge smile. Just a bit more smile this time, as the clutch was feathery light. The car is still fantastic to drive.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM
CarstenW
New User

I am close to buying a 996.1, and have been reading as much as I can on the RMS and IMS issues, since these appear to the the only major, recurring issues that might cost serious money after the purchase.

One thing which is not so clear to me is the failure rate after the IMS bearing has been replaced. One vehicle I am looking at had an IMS failure, and had the engine swapped out by Porsche. If I am reading this thread correctly, then there is a good chance that the replacement engine has a single-row bearing, and is just as likely to fail as any other MY2000+ single-row engine.

Is this the case, or do the replacement engines have less chance of failing?

Are the any licensed installers of the IMS Solutions plain bearing in Germany, or how do German owners handle this problem out of warranty?
Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 PM
808Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarstenW View Post
I am close to buying a 996.1, and have been reading as much as I can on the RMS and IMS issues, since these appear to the the only major, recurring issues that might cost serious money after the purchase.

One thing which is not so clear to me is the failure rate after the IMS bearing has been replaced. One vehicle I am looking at had an IMS failure, and had the engine swapped out by Porsche. If I am reading this thread correctly, then there is a good chance that the replacement engine has a single-row bearing, and is just as likely to fail as any other MY2000+ single-row engine.

Are the any licensed installers of the IMS Solutions plain bearing in Germany, or how do German owners handle this problem out of warranty?
Depends on when (what year) the engine was replaced. Go to the PCA website and watch the videos by Jake Raby for more information.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Charles Navarro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check with Custom Concepts. They have shops throughout the EU that he supplies Solutions to. Alexander will be able to help you out:

http://lnengineering.eu/
Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM
CarstenW
New User

Thanks, I will ask the guy what year the engine was swapped, and in case relevant, find the shop which can replace it.

Was any survey done on repeated IMS failure rates?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:31 PM
AdamIsAdam
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I will ask the guy what year the engine was swapped, and in case relevant, find the shop which can replace it.

Was any survey done on repeated IMS failure rates?
Having done a lot of this research/education recently, what I will say is that you cannot be sure of what you have inside the engine without opening it and looking. Do not think that the date of service will determine anything. It's also mentioned in the aforementioned videos now up on YouTube/PCA. The reason is, many older parts were installed under warranty, and of course newer parts were put in as they were introduced.

As for failures after a swap was done, that depends on which IMS was installed. Most are just service items with a lifespan. So for example, I have an early dual row IMS recently replaced. It's good for 6 years/60,000 miles as I recall. I figure in 6 years, I'll just replace it and put in a new clutch at the time. $3k service every 6 years is not a big deal. Read the info out there and get much more knowledge that I have ;-)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM
phease
User

As a data point, I recently purchased a 2001 cab with 57800 miles. The clutch needed to be replaced, so I also had a L&N IMSB installed and the RMS replaced. $3700 in the Atlanta area. Upon inspection, the single row IMSB looked great, but now my peace of mind is in a better place. Cheers.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:41 AM
CarstenW
New User

Which bearing did you go for, the ceramic bearing (IMS Retrofit) or the plain bearing (IMS Solution)? I presume you have direct oil feed now?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:02 AM
phease
User

Hello Carsten,

I had the ceramic bearing installed. My Indy recommended it and uses this bearing in the racing Porsches they build and maintain.

Pat
Old 03-19-2018, 02:34 PM
efd914
User

New to the forum. Looking to purchase a 996. I learned to drive in a 914, This recommendation sounds like my Dad telling me to keep the rpm's above 3k to help keep the engine cool. Could it be that this engine is the first since the air cooled versions?
Old 03-19-2018, 02:41 PM
Charles Navarro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by efd914 View Post
New to the forum. Looking to purchase a 996. I learned to drive in a 914, This recommendation sounds like my Dad telling me to keep the rpm's above 3k to help keep the engine cool. Could it be that this engine is the first since the air cooled versions?
I too have always believed those owners who came from aircooled Porsches drive their cars differently and keep the rpms up, which is good for the IMS bearing.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:29 AM
Hotspur '91
New User

Default CarFax Decoded

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of vetting an '04 996 and when pulling a CarFax report on the vehicle, the below entry appears:

This entry occurred in 2009 when the car had roughly 30K miles on the clock. As it sits now, the car has about 60K miles and has no other worrisome items on the CarFax. The above entry seems to indicate that there was extensive work done on the engine, a thought that was echoed by the current owner's mechanic when he performed a PPI in 2014. The mechanic noted that the engine looked as if it was a factory replacement. From your experience, does the above blurb point to an IMS failure earlier in the vehicles life?

Thanks for your time!
Old 03-27-2018, 08:45 AM
jhbrennan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hotspur '91 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of vetting an '04 996 and when pulling a CarFax report on the vehicle, the below entry appears:

This entry occurred in 2009 when the car had roughly 30K miles on the clock. As it sits now, the car has about 60K miles and has no other worrisome items on the CarFax. The above entry seems to indicate that there was extensive work done on the engine, a thought that was echoed by the current owner's mechanic when he performed a PPI in 2014. The mechanic noted that the engine looked as if it was a factory replacement. From your experience, does the above blurb point to an IMS failure earlier in the vehicles life?

Thanks for your time!
Hard to tell from that info. An IMS bearing failure would have been a more catastrophic event. Engine serial number would indicate if it were a factory replacement. Ask the mechanic of rat engine number.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:54 PM
wthensler
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by efd914 View Post
These cars love and need to be driven in a more spirited fashion. Does it no good to sit as a garage queen. I have a '99 996 (original owner, 64k Mi) that I'm probably going to part with, as I just ordered a 2018 cab. PM me if interested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: