The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!) - Page 23 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 996 Forum
Reload this Page > The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)
Notices
996 Forum
Sponsored by: LN Engineering
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Old 12-03-2017, 09:13 PM
AzDropTop
User

Originally Posted by professorman View Post
sorry, edited my post for clarity. I am replacing it now, but I will not replace it a second time in the future.
No worries at all, I was just confused. Which is not hard to do. LOL I thought about the same scenario for my car down the road when I need a new clutch...Will I change the bearing again or not? I guess we shall see if I own it that long. Cheers brother.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:14 PM
sheatley
User

I have been debating for the last year on a new 911. For the price difference in a 997.2 (no IMS issue), I cannot see anything that I want above what my 2003 Carrara cab has. I truly love this car and still frequently sit in my garage, gazing at it. 5 years and 75,000 miles.
I decided it could be my last car, so I wanted to get as many potential problems fixed. I just took it in for first big service that I could not do myself with IMS single row retrofit dual row pro, new clutch (10% left), flywheel, AOS, coolant tank, water pump, thermostat, and tires. $6800 but way less than any 997.2 would have cost had I sold my 996 as a down payment. Only $750 for the IMS which is good for 75k miles. I can do that twice for cost of the Solution. The next IMS will likely be needed exactly when the clutch needs to be done again.
Driving off from the Indy, I had my usual huge smile. Just a bit more smile this time, as the clutch was feathery light. The car is still fantastic to drive.