Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Sounds like fluid running (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/587687-sounds-like-fluid-running.html)

d11w 08-27-2010 02:09 AM

Sounds like fluid running

I've recently noticed (again) that when the car is running, driving, idleing, etc. there seems to be a sound like fluid that is driping fromthe front passenger section of the car, basically in front of the airbag. When I shut the tempurature OFf, the sound disappears, only to come back when auto mode is pressed again. Is this normal, or shold I let the dealership have a look at it?

Dervish 08-27-2010 04:43 AM

The aircon condensation reservoir is right there. Just check that the overflow pipe is still routed so drips go outside the car.

Lift up the carpet, there's an overflow tube coming from the condensation reservoir which sits just under the dash, above your feet area. It snakes around the central console area a bit but easy to find. Check the tube is attached securely and that it flows to a rubber grommet in the footwell floor. This then flows directly out the bottom of the car.

Dharn55 08-27-2010 04:53 AM

If there is no evidence of leakage/moisture it may not be the condensation reservoir. It may be the freon moving under pressure through the tubes and the evaporator coil in the dash. I think this is the more likely source of the noise. And if the system is low in freon or has air in the system this will make more noise.

Dervish 08-27-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dharn55 (Post 7849436)
If there is no evidence of leakage/moisture it may not be the condensation reservoir. It may be the freon moving under pressure through the tubes and the evaporator coil in the dash. I think this is the more likely source of the noise. And if the system is low in freon or has air in the system this will make more noise.

I bow to your better knowledge... :thumbsup:

d11w 08-27-2010 11:59 PM

There doesn't seem to be any condensation evidence where the carpets are. This could be the freon I suppose, but is this amount of noise normal or should it be worth making a trip to get it looked at?

Dharn55 08-28-2010 05:28 AM

On some cars there is a sight glass on the receiver/dryer that you can look at to see if bubbles are passing through. Not sure if there is one on our cars, don't think there is. Still if it goes on and off with the HVAC I think this may be the source of the noise. You and always have the system checked for leaks and recharged if the noise bothers you too much. Does the AC still blow cold?

d11w 08-28-2010 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dharn55 (Post 7851813)
On some cars there is a sight glass on the receiver/dryer that you can look at to see if bubbles are passing through. Not sure if there is one on our cars, don't think there is. Still if it goes on and off with the HVAC I think this may be the source of the noise. You and always have the system checked for leaks and recharged if the noise bothers you too much. Does the AC still blow cold?

Yeah it still blows cold and that's why I did not immediately think of the freon. The temp seems to operate normally also, so I'm not entirely sure what to do. And by the way, there doesn't seem to be any sight glass either. The funny thing is; if I shut off the temperature completely for a minute or so and then bring it back to normal tempuratures, the noise seems to dissipate?