Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

M96 3.6 Motor Blown

Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Weissach
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

993 engine's are easily rebuilt, and there are sooo many sources to choose parts from. That being said, they easily go over 200k without a rebuild..
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by d11w
I was told by the dealer to break the motor in. I have a new engine number which is now attached to this car. I was informed to keep revs below 4200 rpm NOT for the tranny but for the engine. Also to make sure not to lug the engine and try replacing the oil after ~1000 miles. Later, after ~2000 miles to then increase rev range and bring it up to 6-6500 rpms as the amount of driving with this engine increases.
Take what he said as the truth. Bearings need to be seasoned. No matter what guru's that say rev the frick out of the engine say to seat the rings is the way. Here's why. You can set the piston rings any time you want to. Seasoning the bearings on the cranks and piston connectors has to be done before higher revs. The bearing start out soft. After many heat cycles the bearings harden. You can do the mileage requirement and say the engine is broken in but the best way is to do moderate lengths of drives to assure heat cycles are applied. The reason for not lugging the engine I hope is evident with the fact of the bearings being softer when new. Lugging can deform them when soft giving rise to failures at a sooner date than if broken in properly.

When you are allowed to go to higher revs its good to do so since the higher the revs the higher the piston will travel to clean up the cyclinder walls. Not by much but the travel is a little higher. Best to break the cyclinder walls in.

The fast hard driving break in is good for race engines since they get torn down to check for wear and damage. Race teams replace rings and bearing to help prevent problems. Engine going boom no worky good joe.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

All engines are easily rebuilt, all you need is money.

Not every 993 makes it over 200k, doing a nationwide price agnostic search of the 993 on autotrader.com I see just seven cars over 100k miles, only two with more than 111k, out of hundreds of cars listed. Same search returns twenty-four 996s, with the majority of them well over 110k miles, out of a pool of roughly 3.5x the size of total advertised cars. To me, despite everything posted here and elsewhere online, the numbers compare quite naturally, even overlooking the fact that the 993 has had an extra half decade or so to accumulate the miles, but then the owners didn't drive them as much I suppose.

6 in one basket, half a dozen in the other. I like them both, and think a lot of the differences in durability may lie in people's minds... The older cars do feel like they're buttoned together better... using more buttons, because they were. The 996 is lighter, stiffer, faster, has better A/C, etc. but has frameless windows with a remote trunk release, and if you want to rebuild the engine, much like the 944/928, you may need to get creative with the block/bottom end more than anything.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:08 AM
greenbe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d11w
I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your car. The same thing happened to me here just a little while back (see Not another IMS issue again). My light only came on to tell me that my oil pressure was low. Sure enough, it was. I was looking at ~1-2 bar pressure level when normally it should be around 4-5 bar. Had the car towed 200 miles to the dealer and got a call from them a couple of days later saying my shaft bearing seized and I would need a new engine! And I was ~ 1 1/2 - 2 months out of warranty. After a week the dealer called back and said Porsche would replace the engine for me if I paid for labour. Hm, does this sound like a good deal? YES!!!!!!!!

Keep us informed!
I checked your post and you have an 04 with about 31K miles. It must be about 2years out of warranty ... was it dealer serviced all along? Did you get your hands on the broken IMS, if so please contact me by email.

My understanding from P is they take these factors into account when deciding to give you "goodwill" .... consider yourself lucky.

The latest chapter of this saga is that my indy guy now has 4 watercools lined up for IMS replacement, in response to the Excellence magazine article. That has really touched off storm. Just today he got a shipment of LN Engineering parts and the tool. I will keep you updated on how he likes them after installation.

By the way, one thing I learned is that sudden loss of large amounts of oil is either the seal going or the bearing fit getting loose in the race through one of several mechanisms. I think it is the "better" way to fail because you notice it quickly and most people will not try to drive with low oil pressure. You will never know if it was rebuildable, only the big P has that secret.... (Still no ill will to P :-)
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 AM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnsjmc
Unfortunatly they are more than twice that now
Yes all P engines have gone up a lot recently. They charge a little less for 3.4 but for 3.6 it is up to 18K or so.

As for reman being better, all the M96 (through first half 05 production) have bad IMS, although the later ones are less bad. I don't know about M97 but eventually I believe after a few years of M97 the IMS was designed out.

If I were to get a P reman I would _definitely_ put in a new IMS one month before the P warranty expires. IMHO
Old 08-25-2010, 02:22 AM
greenbe
Advanced

I just got a quote for the total reman 3.6 installed, tested and 2 yr unlimited miles warranty. I believe the part alone is 16-18K now, although I have been advised to call around so I will post some recent prices once I have checked. My indy guy says they have gone up a lot. I also heard P will stop selling them by year end.

Does anyone have direct rebuilt experience with MP Parts out of Rancho Cordova, California (about 30 miles east of Sacramento on i80)?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 AM
mikes_996
Instructor

Wow $18k for a reman... At that price you could get a used 996 and have the ims changed for another $2k and then sell ur car as a roller for $12k that way you'd be out $8k rather than $18k... Hope it works out..
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes_996
Wow $18k for a reman... At that price you could get a used 996 and have the ims changed for another $2k and then sell ur car as a roller for $12k that way you'd be out $8k rather than $18k... Hope it works out..
HAHA...

Yeah, this story just keeps getting more and more ridiculous...
Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Weissach
Burning Brakes

Don't know much about the seller, but this looks like a WAY less expensive option..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...ts_Accessories

and

Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by greenbe
Yes all P engines have gone up a lot recently. They charge a little less for 3.4 but for 3.6 it is up to 18K or so.

As for reman being better, all the M96 (through first half 05 production) have bad IMS, although the later ones are less bad. I don't know about M97 but eventually I believe after a few years of M97 the IMS was designed out.

If I were to get a P reman I would _definitely_ put in a new IMS one month before the P warranty expires. IMHO
For your clarification, the 911/boxster had an intermediate shaft until the new
9A1 engine design was released for the 2009 direct injection engines.

So there are a lot of P cars out there with intermediate shafts and bearings.

Also, many folks have CPO warranties on these newer 996s so Porsche will need to supply engines for quite some time to come.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Doink
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ahmet
The 996 .... has frameless windows with a remote trunk release.
My 993 has a remote trunk release, it's called a "handle" ?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:36 AM
P7
Advanced

Originally Posted by greenbe
I just got a quote for the total reman 3.6 installed, tested and 2 yr unlimited miles warranty. I believe the part alone is 16-18K now, although I have been advised to call around so I will post some recent prices once I have checked. My indy guy says they have gone up a lot. I also heard P will stop selling them by year end.

Does anyone have direct rebuilt experience with MP Parts out of Rancho Cordova, California (about 30 miles east of Sacramento on i80)?

Did you find out why your engine exploded? Was it the IMS or something else?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I think 3.4's remans are up to $14K-$16K. The 3.6 is significantly less, more in the $8K-$12K range. And Jake Raby can do a 4.0 build out of a M96 for abut $21K. All of which is still a lot less than a total rebuild of a 993 engine.
As stated, I am not familiar with the current cost of an M96 replacement.

However, if someone has told you that $21,000 for a 4.0L M96 build "is still a lot less than a total rebuild of a 993 engine," I might suggest a second opinion.

If one is spending "a lot more" than $21,000 to rebuild an M64-based motor, that motor's lifespan is measured in hours, not miles, the fan housing has been tastefully painted with "RSR" script - or both.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:51 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by Weissach
Don't know much about the seller, but this looks like a WAY less expensive option..

and

Yes I've looked at this. They don't actually have an engine for sale. (There is a shortage of M96 engines for obvious reasons). You have to send them your car and have them rebuild it .... wait in a long line.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 PM
greenbe
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikes_996
Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
HAHA...

Yeah, this story just keeps getting more and more ridiculous...
The story is rediculous in some ways, but 100% true. I've checked several sources already, the remans recently went up in price severely. Any suggestions for quality rebuilders, especially on the west coast, please let me know (I've already spoken to flat6)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: M96 3.6 Motor Blown