Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Replacing wheel speed sensor (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/585004-replacing-wheel-speed-sensor.html)

Van 08-13-2010 11:44 AM

Replacing wheel speed sensor

For a few weeks I've been dealing with the ABS coming on at very slow speeds (under 11 MPH). I've mentioned it in other threads, and diagnosed it as a left rear wheel speed sensor with the Durametric tool.

I replaced it last night, and it solved my problem!

I just thought I'd share the fix (and also the pain of doing it) with everyone. I figured it would be about a 30 minute job... I have another car on the lift, so did this on the floor. Jack it up, remove the wheel, unplug the sensor - this all went smoothly, then it went down hill... the head of the sensor bolt sheared off. The sensor itself was corroded to the suspension carrier (I didn't know aluminum corrosion would bond to plastic, but it does!) - so I had to break the sensor apart and pull/drill it out in bits.

Eventually, I got all the bits of the old sensor out, and cleaned all of the corrosion out of the hole. Then I had to deal with removing the broken bolt. I used my welding technique (which I'll post a video of later) and was finally ready to put everything back together.

Total job was about 3 hours. :crying: But it's fixed! :D

http://www.ephotomotion.com/996/996%20ABS%20sensor.JPG

Van 08-13-2010 03:02 PM

Here's my video on how remove a broken bolt with the "welding technique".

Edgy01 08-13-2010 03:10 PM

Good information. Thanks for your posting.

Mother 08-13-2010 03:20 PM

You JinXXed it by saying it was going to be a 1/2 hr job. Great video and thanx for taking the time to produce.

C4CRNA 08-13-2010 03:52 PM

How much is a new sensor?

function12 08-13-2010 05:10 PM

Awesome video. Any worries about the the car electronics and welding? What type of welder do you have?

Sneaky Pete 08-13-2010 05:33 PM

Oh what I could do only if I had the tools..........I'd make a female robot about 3 feet tall, flat head and big ears.....sorry it's been a long week!

Nice job Van!

Van 08-13-2010 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by C4CRNA (Post 7813055)
How much is a new sensor?

$87 from Pelican (rear sensor p/n 996.606.406.00)

Originally Posted by function12 (Post 7813265)
Awesome video. Any worries about the the car electronics and welding? What type of welder do you have?

It is best if you disconnect the ground terminal from the battery before welding - I didn't this time, but usually do.

My welder is a Lincoln mig that runs on 110v - it's a great little welder that I've had for years. Don't use the "flux core" wire-feed welders - they're a little cheaper than a mig (gas) flux welder, but the results aren't nearly as good. Spend the extra $100 and get the full mig setup.

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete (Post 7813321)
Oh what I could do only if I had the tools..........I'd make a female robot about 3 feet tall, flat head and big ears.....sorry it's been a long week!

Nice job Van!

Pete, I see a bar in your immediate future... :cheers: :biggulp:

fbgh2o 08-13-2010 06:54 PM

Seriously, you must have to world's best equipped home garage....

Sneaky Pete 08-13-2010 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Van (Post 7813377)

Pete, I see a bar in your immediate future... :cheers: :biggulp:

Nah...liquor store....its time for a few Weiss Biers and a cigar on the back deck. :D

DobermanDad 05-04-2015 02:47 PM

I have access to a MIG welder. Hope I don't need it. Great idea though.

What about hitting them with a cold chisel until they loosen? Like, removing the seat bolts.

ScoobyDoo555 11-11-2015 09:13 AM

Well done!

I don't have Durametric, but still have to get the sensors out to check them over. (the beep-test fine).

What's the bolt type that retains the sensor?

Dan

Tsandfor 07-30-2020 07:13 AM

Heat the aluminum first

First of all, great video! When I try to replace my sensor, I will try adding heat to the aluminum around the bolt first since aluminum thermally expands more than steel. While hot, spray in WD40 so the capillary action will draw the lubricant into the threads. Then maybe the bolt will come out without breaking. Be sure to apply Never-seize to the new bolt before inserting. Thanks again. Tim