Sponsored by:

No longer use Mobil1 0w-40?

Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by faster horses
I'm new here, not jaded about a oil thread, it deals with the important stuff, good to revisit. I bought my '99 C2 2 1/2 years ago, the factory replacement engine had 11k (came with M1 0-40). It now has 86k. It just started using a couple of oz's between 6k oil changes, with redline 5-40. I use Jake's ceramic bearing (just had it put in with clutch and RMS leaking, why not, the bearing is better), I cannot see using his oil. Grade 5 oil is above grade 4. Grade 5 oils are a much larger percentage of base stock to additives, the thermal properties are not even comparable. Grade 5 doesn't evaporate, AOS replacement anyone? Want empirical?, go to the track and ask any racer or engine builder who races and uses it if he or she has doubts, go to an endurance event and ask the people whose rule book doesn't allow oil coolers, who are running in the front, what they use. Plastics?, my 944S2 did 3 hard seasons on the track and 110,00k miles on the road, on one cam chain tensioner, the plastic ramp still looked fine. Not all grade 5's are the same, in fact, we are seeing the beginning of expensive boutique 5's. (see Europe) On a limb, I think the engineers who designed the M96 were sold a bill of goods by the oil designers, small vents in the lifters, thermal stress, these cars will run hot (the coolant/ oil changer, this is the sleeper at LN, getting rid of that piece of crap, the oil heater, as it were, if you don't know how to properly warm up your car, get a chevy) The big P is in bed with the big M, note, they do approve Motul. A question, what is that stuff castrol makes for those BMW M engines, gr 4 or 5? How's the popcorn?
Not sure I complete understand your post but in summary do you approve of Mobil 1 0W-40 or the recommendations from LN Engineering?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by faster horses
...I cannot see using his oil...
I think he's saying the synthetic stuff made by men in labcoats locked away in rooms drawing equations on the wall is superior to the LNE/F6I options.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:38 AM
faster horses
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to be clear. Grade 5 oils are polyol ester based, the most common for us are Redline and Motul. M1 and B Penn are something else, Penn is crude based. I have no idea why Jake R would use this in his rebuilds, it should be noted that he states there is very little in his creations that are shared with a stock M96. It may be that his internals work better with heavy crude based oil. I have nothing but respect for his work and use the LN IMS bearing in my car. For many years the air cooled P car guys have loved Swepco which is the same type as Penn, it has worked very well. The M96 is a very different engine, I and many others believe that the P ester based oils run in a lighter viscosity is better for this engine design. As to lab coats, as I stated, I ran redline 20-50 in my 944S2 for 234,000 miles and 3 track seasons of very hard track days is California desert heat and the engine never broke or only got maintenance service. My 996 engine has 87K miles and gets 2300 more every month and sees track days in California heat without a third rad or X51 oil pan (that I hope to change soon), it uses so small an amount between oil changes as to be hard to measure (has varied from 5 to 9k miles). Ponder this, if your engine is using oil, where does it go? Burns or evaporates we hope, assuming you have no leaks. I'll be the Guinea pig, let's see how long my AOS lasts, that doesn't have to deal with your crude oil evaporating. If it's burning it's messing up all kinds of internals. A guy at the local track, Infineon, (hate it, but Sears Pt. is a disappearing moniker), takes his street ride, a suby with 200k and a bad head gasket in, he uses only Motul 300V, the suby mechanics absolutely refused to believe that he he didn't feed it large amounts of fuel cleaner, the head was that clean. They were indignant that he would even try to tell him that he only changed the oil every 10k. Lastly, try telling the guys at Redline that they're just guys writing equations, they are empirical engineers if ever there were. I'm not hip to this yellow dipping head and the rock wall thing, what does that mean? Being serious, not contentious, I don't get it.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:02 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tryed the 5w50 mobil 1, now using, again, castrol syntec 5w40 all year. Ambient temperatures go from -20c to 30c.

Reason to stay with the castrol, I changed the mobil oils last summer before the Ring trip.
Drove 1800km's on 2 days, and the oil level dropped from full to empty.
Had to top the oil level 3 times on the 6 day and 3600km road trip.

Castrol in the other hand, seem's to keep it's viscosity better and does not "run thru" the engine.
Oil consumption is minimal and when the oils are changed, the old oil is much thicker.

All of you that change your car's oil's your self, try the castrol or mobil. Youl see the difference in wiscosity when you change the oil's.

For the internal wear difference, I don't know. Biggest issue to me was the oil consumption.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No longer use Mobil1 0w-40?