996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Indicator bulb gone, now 'hyper-falsh'?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Indicator bulb gone, now 'hyper-falsh'?

A friend went to replace is orange front indictaors bulbs with silvered ones (2002 996). Now one of his indicators doesn't work at all. Side indicator and rear work but faster than normal, believe this is called 'hyper-flash'. We've swapped over bulbs and the bulb works fine in the other light unit, swapped over the bulb and plastic holder and that works also. Checked the connectors at the bulb and also within the fender, no bent or weird looking connections... ?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it's not working or seen it before?

Many thanks...
Old 07-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure the headlight is connected with the single male electrical plug as you slide the HL unit into the docking tray. Mine did just what you are describing...the electrical connection wasn't seated all the way.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Last time I had this problem, I assumed the bulb had burnt out and ignored it... and then lost my headlight during hard braking- damned thing just flew right out. So, yeah, check to make sure it's seated properly
Old 07-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Barn996
Be sure the headlight is connected with the single male electrical plug as you slide the HL unit into the docking tray. Mine did just what you are describing...the electrical connection wasn't seated all the way.
+1 good advice Barn!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I checked the male and female connectors at the loom end and all looked good, no bent pins. The unit locks securely and all other bulbs/lights work, just that one indicator. Slightly confused.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Barn996
Race Director

I thought mine was a bad bulb, but it wasn't. Mine locked securely as well, but apparently I had broken the flimsy rectangular plastic piece that holds the male elec.piece, so it didn't seat all the way in for a good connection, even though the HL assembly was latched properly. Hope that helps in your diagnosis.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Dervish
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I'll check again...
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dervish - I've had the same problem for a few weeks. The assembly is locked in place firmly and its not the bulb, so I'm fairly convinced the connection isn't being made properly. I hear what the other folks are saying about making sure the connection is firm but I can't understand how to do that. If you find something out of place or some way to hold the white plastic electrical fitting on the vehicle side in place, please let me know! I should try removing my light again tonight to check for something I can do to hold the connector in place. Suggestions welcome! 2003 996 with bi-Xenon lights.

LB
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Barn996
Race Director

LB- I don't have bi-xenons, but I disconnected the male plug and pulled the wire bundle to it by releasing a clip that gained an inch or so of play with the male plug. Then I was able to slide the HL assembly partially into the docking bay and slide the plug into the back of the HL snugly before pushing the HL assembly all the way in with my hands. I didn't bother securing the male plug back into the plastic piece because it was broken. That's why the HL wouldn't fully engage the plug because it would push the plug back as the HL slid into place. Hope that makes sense.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:38 PM
lbuckley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Barn996 - Thanks, that does make sense. I'll try it as soon as I can. The miserable heat and humidity in Washington this week is not conducive to working on the car!

Quick Reply: Indicator bulb gone, now 'hyper-falsh'?