Sponsored by:

When water pumps attack!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
OK, No my propeller was fine. The job was done. it took a little more than 8 min like the video shows. But the video is perfect.

BUT I think I know why plastic impeller. I may get flamed for this but I called it as I saw it...

I put the pump on and the impeller was rubbing very slightly against the block.. Ever so slight. I could turn it by hand no problem.. and it even spun a bit when I turned it fast.. Like I said ever so slight... So silly me I pull it back out... Then when I got to looking at the old vs new, I could see where the old pump had rubbed also at one point. So I think this is the way it is designed. I figured a new pump was to rub a little and it would set into place after a min or two of running... and it did. I ran the car for about 2 min. shut it down and took the belt back off and turned the pump and it was fine.... No rub at all.. took the car for 40 mile drive and it was perfect. So I know I have a really tight tollerance in there to get the best pump action possible... Am I crazy or correct.

The job took about 3 hours.. But I did it twice..... I think I could do another in less than 1.5 hrs
After reading your post I looked at a high res pic of my 02 Boxster's water pump that was replaced at 172K miles. No shaft fracture failure just noisy and a bit of a leak.

Upon looking at the tops of the impeller vanes I see signs the tops were touching the metal of the cavity into which the pump impellter fits. I had the pump replaced at the dealer so I didn't have a chance to look at the engine area where the impeller fit to see if I could spot any signs of the vanes hitting rubbing. Chances are though since it happened so long ago and we're talking plastic vanes now not diamonds any marking has long been removed by the corrosion that erodes the surface of the engine's coolant passages.

Still it is kind of interesting that the vanes would make contact. Should make for a very efficient pumping action to have such a close fit between the vanes and the opposite wall of the pump cavity.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
After reading your post I looked at a high res pic of my 02 Boxster's water pump that was replaced at 172K miles. No shaft fracture failure just noisy and a bit of a leak.

Upon looking at the tops of the impeller vanes I see signs the tops were touching the metal of the cavity into which the pump impellter fits. I had the pump replaced at the dealer so I didn't have a chance to look at the engine area where the impeller fit to see if I could spot any signs of the vanes hitting rubbing. Chances are though since it happened so long ago and we're talking plastic vanes now not diamonds any marking has long been removed by the corrosion that erodes the surface of the engine's coolant passages.

Still it is kind of interesting that the vanes would make contact. Should make for a very efficient pumping action to have such a close fit between the vanes and the opposite wall of the pump cavity.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I think this is why they are plastic. I have learned something with doing my own work on the 928 and now the 911. I have learned Porsche does almost everything for a reason. No matter how idiot it looks to us their is usually a reason behind it. I found this to also usually be a performance reason. And I am sorry. The 911 is all about the "GO", So its like a good woman.. You want one thats going to stay faithful.. get a homely one.. You want one that is gonig t run with the super models.. Be ready to pay the price. BUT my plastic impeller out lasted the pump seal. So whats the big deal? Are the plastic impellers failing becasue people are not running the correct coolent? And the american cheap stuff is breaking down the plastic? Some thoughts to ponder.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

so what is a good coolant to use ? ... aside of the oem porsche coolant ? is the color enough ?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
ivangene:
"..probably failed because it has been running below its designed tempature"

Looks like the 997s were designed to run cooler then our HOT rod 996s.
Don't be suckered in by a mere image of a 997 instrument cluster. The 997 engines run hotter than the gauge reports. They are dumbed down water temperature gauges. The coolant gauge reports water temps at 175ºF well into the the higher temperatures until it finally moves to the max. There is little warning provided.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
so what is a good coolant to use ? ... aside of the oem porsche coolant ? is the color enough ?
What's wrong with OEM coolant? Why go to the trouble to seek out something as good as OEM?

Had coolant changed once around 2006 after I busted a radiator and coolant leaked out.

Then had it changed again when water pump done year or more back. Wait: car has 232K miles now so 60K miles ago... make that 2 years or so back.

Then had some added when coolant tank replaced a few weeks ago. (Not all coolant lost. Tech just had to top up.)

I mean most people aren't going to change the stuff more than once and risking saving a few bucks on some unknown coolant just seems senseless.

Anyhow, I believe the manual calls for phosphate free anti-freeze mixed 50:50 with distilled water. No additives.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:57 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
I went OEM. Like Macster said, why try to save a couple of bucks on something so critical. It's lifetime coolant.

My dealer told me they only make the pink coolant now. I topped off my green coolant with some pink when the cap had a leak, maybe 5 oz., and no problems 5k miles later.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Im running pantosin red
Old 06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

What you guys think of 'Water Wetter' from Redline?

Quick Reply: When water pumps attack!