996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Old 08-06-2017, 05:35 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE
That is Nr. 0336 - was originally owned (leased) by earlyapex here on RL. Which 40th are you having a PPI done on? Through the work on the 40th Registry I have a ton of info on these cars and if it's info I'm at liberty to share I will be happy to do so. You can check out the Registry website and FB page via the links in my signature below. By the way, we're organizing a 40th meet-up in Chicago (Scott and Alex already know). If you get one of our cars you're certainly welcome. Likely in late Sept. Ted
I'm looking at 0768. There are a few concerns:

No service records other than what's in Carfax. No info or proof on where the IMS was done (only a sticker and the dealer claims he had Eurobahn confirm IMS was done). No luggage (not a deal breaker).

My biggest concern is that the dealer is asking crazy money when your registry says Haggerty Chevrolet had it just prior, and was listing it for about $6k cheaper. I can likely get any records the dealers and indy have regarding prior service (as indicated on Carfax), but that's not necessarily all there is. Also, only one manual. Missing several others. Oh, and no umbrella....

Even if I gen him to come down a ton I'm still into the car for over $35k with taxes and fees. That's high considering. That 40 in MA for the private seller with records and luggage looks good, but no indication of preventative. I emailed but got no response.

Almost ready to grab an '02 C2 with 70k miles for like $19k and call it a day...

Thanks, Ted.
Andray
aka @launchyourself

BTW ~ Amazing work you've done with the website, registry, and social media pages. You're building a legacy, Ted.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:46 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago6MT

No service records other than what's in Carfax. No info or proof on where the IMS was done (only a sticker and the dealer claims he had Eurobahn confirm IMS was done). No luggage (not a deal breaker).

My biggest concern is that the dealer is asking crazy money when your registry says Haggerty Chevrolet had it just prior, and was listing it for about $6k cheaper. I can likely get any records the dealers and indy have regarding prior service (as indicated on Carfax), but that's not necessarily all there is. Also, only one manual. Missing several others. Oh, and no umbrella....

Even if I gen him to come down a ton I'm still into the car for over $35k with taxes and fees. That's high considering. That 40 in MA for the private seller with records and luggage looks good, but no indication of preventative. I emailed but got no response.

Almost ready to grab an '02 C2 with 70k miles for like $19k and call it a day...

Thanks, Ted.
Andray
aka @launchyourself

BTW ~ Amazing work you've done with the website, registry, and social media pages. You're building a legacy, Ted.
Thanks for the kind words, Andray - it's great fun doing this and we've got hundreds of owners all over the world now in the group - and it keeps growing! Rather than clog up this thread if you shoot me an email at 40jahre911@gmail.com I may be able to give you some more info. Also, today I updated the "40th for sale" list that is available via the Registry website or FB page - here's the link - you may find others to consider. Ted

http://www.40jahre911.com/40-jahre-911-listed-for-sale
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I looked at 0514 today. First of I'll say this, I owned a 2002 C4S a few years ago and vowed to never buy a 996 again... The Jahre changed my mind on that.

The things I noticed/reasons I like the Jahre much better:

1. The power. It's noticeable. Not only the extra ponies, but the lighter weight. The car feels much more nimble than the widebody, AWD C4S. The car isn't a rocket, but 2nd-3rd are where it's at.

2. The suspension. It's a much flatter, less cushy ride than the C4S. Feels more what a sports car should feel like.

3. RWD is much livelier than the AWD.

4. The interior is a huge step above the standard 996. It's what a Porsche should be. The leather touches and sport seats are a nice touch.

If this was the entire story with this car I would have bought it on the spot. It's a hell of a lot of car for the price. However after a great test drive, I took a look underneath and sure enough there is a good amount of oil dripping out of the bottom of the case/onto the rear stabilizer bars. I'm not exactly sure what that means but suspect at minimum it's some the normal leaks, but could very well be IMS/RMS related. In contrast my C4S never dripped a drop so... can't assume it's anything "normal". I still am considering purchasing but proceeding with extreme caution. Also the clutch engaged a bit "high". Is this normal?

To all those who currently rock the Jahre, you guys have found a hidden gem of 911's. Maybe I will be able to join the ranks one day.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Coming from a 996tt I fully agree with you on RWD feeling better and the car overall feeling lighter. I also feel like it's more connected.

Sounds like and RMS and sounds like you can talk the seller down quite a bit as you should just plan on replacing the IMS/RMS/ clutch flywheel etc... I was able to do that when I just bought mine this past March.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Default Nr. 0514

Originally Posted by e90steve
I looked at 0514 today...
Glad to hear that you enjoyed driving the car - they are indeed a blast. Disappointed, though, in the issue with the oil that you mentioned. Doesn't sound good but it could be a simple repair. When I bought mine I had a PPI done by an indy shop familiar with 996 Porsches and they found a small leak that was in (I think) a bad oil filler tube. Bought the car, had it repaired, and haven't looked back. That car you're considering is getting a lot of attention due to the very low price. Enjoy the hunt - it's a fun process. If you don't mind, please shoot me an email and let me know what you find out about the issues with that car. I'm at 40jahre911@gmail.com. Many thanks and good luck.

Ted
Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by senordude
I flew into Charleston, SC tonight and became the proud new owner of #896. The previous owner babied this car with 37,000 miles and Sport Seats with painted hard backs.

I had European Road and Racing install a full IMS Solution along with RMS, clutch, AOS, etc. (Karl Troy at ER&R is absolutely fantastic to work with!!) I decided on the "solution" because I plan to keep the car a long, long time and my IMS research said that gently driven, low-mileage cars are at special risk.

I will attach pics later. My first 911, BTW. I am driving my new bucket list checkmark back to Kansas City this weekend. Road trip!!
Congrats.

Can you share the cost of the Solution install, RMS clutch etc...

Is shop certified?

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2017, 11:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/c...253043059.html
Old 08-08-2017, 11:44 PM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Default Nr. 0026

Nr. 0026 - used to be owned by DeadStick here on RL. Here's some cool pics he took:
/
Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TAZ40JAHRE
Glad to hear that you enjoyed driving the car - they are indeed a blast. Disappointed, though, in the issue with the oil that you mentioned. Doesn't sound good but it could be a simple repair. When I bought mine I had a PPI done by an indy shop familiar with 996 Porsches and they found a small leak that was in (I think) a bad oil filler tube. Bought the car, had it repaired, and haven't looked back. That car you're considering is getting a lot of attention due to the very low price. Enjoy the hunt - it's a fun process. If you don't mind, please shoot me an email and let me know what you find out about the issues with that car. I'm at 40jahre911@gmail.com. Many thanks and good luck.

Ted

It leaks a fair amount and also has 2 accidents on the carfax, a front/left and a rear repair. I used to detail cars and they did a good job with the repair. No evidence of any other repair issues to the undercarriage/frame. I drove it for a good 20 minutes and was fair with it and let it stretch it's legs. After the drive checked for leaks and they were a plenty.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 AM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Thanks, Ted.
Andray
aka @launchyourself

So, I convinced the dealer to let me pick up the 40 today because the PPI is scheduled for the same time the dealer opens tomorrow morning. I picked it up at 5pm and got it home about 6:30. Then Scott (RL - Fracture) and I texted and yada...yada..yada...we met up to properly test drive my potential 40. After meeting for the first time in person and getting a little gas, off we went. An hour later and several triple digit runs later, I'm sold pending a clean PPI. Thank you RL, thank you Ted and Scott for all your help and convos, and thank you Ferdinand Porsche. The 40 is amazing...

Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 AM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 172 Posts

wouldn't want you to miss out on a great car
as stated above, these are hidden gems
Old 08-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a nice set looking for a 40th home...

info@wheeldynamics.com for more info or click on the link and reply.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...h-2-499-a.html

Old 08-10-2017, 12:47 AM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

She said yes.
0768 and I are now official.

Log me in, Ted.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:48 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

She said yes.
0768 and I are now official.

Log me in, Ted.
Awesome! Congrats!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:17 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow 18k miles and even better, it has sport seats!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ