Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
What Transmission/Gear Box oil do we need and how much? I assume since it is LSD it may be something other than what every other manual C2 calls for. Anyone know what Porsche specs for the 40th AE??? thx
Anyone can help with this question? I'd like to replace this fall and may not want to use the Porsche fluid, if I even have a choice that is... someone must have done this to the 40th AE by now who can wade in on what they used/learned?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - how many miles created that rats nest? I only have 10k on my ride so not sure I need it... it looks clean from the front, but apparently that can be deceiving... is 10k too early or should I set this for a winter project? thx
Mine only had about 20K or so and looked just like that in the picture.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:48 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by yoda888
So based on reading, the 40th is suppose to have the ROW M030 suspension. But based on further reading the US 40th does NOT have the ROW M030 suspension but rather the standard US suspension (but it does have the M030 sway bars!)

Am I confused? what's the real story?
Originally Posted by MiamiC70
Yea, reading that confused me too, LOL. But the answer is "yes" in a bonehead move we get ROW M030 sways but not ROW M030 springs
Originally Posted by rossclifford
So can we fit ROW M030 springs to our shocks or is it more complex than that?
Originally Posted by p.vanderlinden
I thought we had the M030 spring rate but with longer springs or possibly just spacers added to compensate for US headlight height laws?
Springs do seem stiffer than my buddies regular Carrera but no spacer they are taller. Which is why after, much, much, much searching I finally picked up an x74 kit and soon will be 4x4 no more
I guess my FAQ wasn't entirely clear on this, so I posted a link on the FAQ that explains the difference in detail between the US M030 which we have and the ROW M030 suspension.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post7631524

We have the US M030 springs, shocks (grey dot).
We also have the M030 sways and M030 rear bump stops which are the same between US and ROW, so they might as well be called ROW.
The US M030 springs are indeed longer than ROW M030 springs, and the same "effective" length as the US stock suspension springs. so NO drop.
The US M030 springs have the same spring rate or stiffness as the ROW M030 springs which are both stiffer than stock.
The US M030 shocks are softer than ROW M030.

So you can replace the ROW M030 springs for the US M030 springs and still use the US M030 shocks, but you will probably wear out the US M030 shocks faster since they are softer and weren't designed for the lower ride height preload.

I would have got the X74 a long time ago, but SCCA stock precludes this. I replaced my US M030 shocks with koni yellows and I've been happy with the ride but not the stock height.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:27 PM
balefire
Pro

What Transmission/Gear Box oil do we need and how much? I assume since it is LSD it may be something other than what every other manual C2 calls for. Anyone know what Porsche specs for the 40th AE??? thx
Anyone can help with this question? I'd like to replace this fall and may not want to use the Porsche fluid, if I even have a choice that is... someone must have done this to the 40th AE by now who can wade in on what they used/learned?
Our tranny and gearbox LSD share a common chamber.
This car is a conundrum since friction modifiers typically used for LSDs can cause synchro mesh issues in the tranny.
Surprisingly, Porsche recommends for the 996 a 75w-90 GL5 oil (Shell Transaxle or Mobilube PTX) that probably has friction modifiers. (good for LSD, maybe bad for tranny).

I have heard of more trannies bust than LSDs, but both are possible.
In the past I've used a higher weight oil to protect the tranny since I autocross.
I switched to Redline 75W-140 NS. Non Slip = no friction modifiers. (maybe good for tranny, bad for LSD).
I've noticed that my 1st or 2nd cold shift is notchy, but after that tranny is pretty smooth. My LSD works fine at operating temp, but I've never tested it cold. Probably never will.
If shifting this winter is problematic, I may add Redline FM (friction modifier) which may be better for our LSD anyway.

If you don't autocross, I'd recommend either stock Porsche recs or Redline 75w-90 NS +/- Redline FM.
If you autocross or track your car, you may want to use my aggressive setup Redline 75w-140 NS +/- Redline FM.

That might be confusing. Oh well!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:33 AM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow - how many miles created that rats nest? I only have 10k on my ride so not sure I need it... it looks clean from the front, but apparently that can be deceiving... is 10k too early or should I set this for a winter project? thx
The car had 46k miles on it. Those pix don't do it justice. You start picking at the crap on it, and it just keeps coming. There's stuff sandwiched inbetween and behind as well.

Yes, when you look inside the bellows it doesn't look like that much crap. But when you take off the bellow and start "picking" at the cluster of crap it's a lot!

I was frankly surprised at home much crap there was myself! I know I won't be driving this thing come fall and all the leaves are all over the place. Next time I do this, I'll be putting a mesh behind the factory grills perhaps to catch this stuff.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 AM
yoda888
Racer

As I was mentioning in my previous post about cleaning out the radiator area. The real reason I had the bumper off was to do this!

Not sure if you notice, but I removed the grills and painted them black. I could not stand the silver grills on the car. Hopefully the paint is durable and doesn't chip from being sandblasted while driving!

I'll try to take some pictures in the day time for a better look!
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 AM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yoda, you read my mind I wanted to paint the intakes black as well how hard was that? What paint did you use? I was thinking of using plasticoat flat black.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
yoda888
Racer

Yoda, you read my mind I wanted to paint the intakes black as well how hard was that? What paint did you use? I was thinking of using plasticoat flat black.
I did not use Plasticoat. I thought about it when I had the car all apart. However, my understanding is that plasticoat can be "removed" simply by pealing it from whatever it was sprayed onto. Based on the way the air goes into the bellow and all the crap that was in there, I was afraid that if a rock nicked the plasticoat, and driving the wind might start "tearing" at the plasticoat and rip off and get sucked into the bellow. Not sure if it would happen or not, but just what I would imagine.

I ended up using the Krylon Fusion paint for plastic. Supposedly bonds to plastic better than regular spray paint. We'll see how it holds up! Based on reviews it looks like it's got pretty good reviews. Then again, putting it up front of the car is asking for it to be sandblasted as well.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by yoda888
The car had 46k miles on it. Those pix don't do it justice. You start picking at the crap on it, and it just keeps coming. There's stuff sandwiched inbetween and behind as well.

Yes, when you look inside the bellows it doesn't look like that much crap. But when you take off the bellow and start "picking" at the cluster of crap it's a lot!

I was frankly surprised at home much crap there was myself! I know I won't be driving this thing come fall and all the leaves are all over the place. Next time I do this, I'll be putting a mesh behind the factory grills perhaps to catch this stuff.
I plan to do it as part of my Fall maintenance (oil change, fuel treatment, other winterizing etc.) so it will be after my final driving thru the leaves and debris that Fall drops on the roads.

Seems to me the difference between the 911 set-up and other cars is the fact there is no full perimiter foam seal between radiators, so debris swirls in-between and clogs up... not sure why these are designed this way, but wonder if retrofitting with a perimiter foam seal would stop this issue? Besides being offset, not sure why this Porsche set-up precludes the seal common on all other vehicles...
Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by balefire
Our tranny and gearbox LSD share a common chamber.
This car is a conundrum since friction modifiers typically used for LSDs can cause synchro mesh issues in the tranny.
Surprisingly, Porsche recommends for the 996 a 75w-90 GL5 oil (Shell Transaxle or Mobilube PTX) that probably has friction modifiers. (good for LSD, maybe bad for tranny).

I have heard of more trannies bust than LSDs, but both are possible.
In the past I've used a higher weight oil to protect the tranny since I autocross.
I switched to Redline 75W-140 NS. Non Slip = no friction modifiers. (maybe good for tranny, bad for LSD).
I've noticed that my 1st or 2nd cold shift is notchy, but after that tranny is pretty smooth. My LSD works fine at operating temp, but I've never tested it cold. Probably never will.
If shifting this winter is problematic, I may add Redline FM (friction modifier) which may be better for our LSD anyway.

If you don't autocross, I'd recommend either stock Porsche recs or Redline 75w-90 NS +/- Redline FM.
If you autocross or track your car, you may want to use my aggressive setup Redline 75w-140 NS +/- Redline FM.

That might be confusing. Oh well!
Just what I was looking for, thanks! I am used to using Mobile 1 GL5 in that weight for my other gear boxes, not sure if it has any friction modifiers but I'll look... you did not mention that option but it meets the specs you outlined (75w-90 GL5). Where did you get those specs btw - my manual was silent on this.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
TAZ40JAHRE
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 40AE center caps

Does anyone have the Porsche part number for the center caps for the 40th anniversary wheels? I found them on the Suncoast website but they're quite pricey. I went to the parts department at my local Porsche dealer and he was found center caps in his computer system but wasn't sure that they were the right ones for those unique wheels. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Try the Porsche site. Section 6, page 4.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/
Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts
Default 40th anniversary front wheel for sale

18" X 8" special edition front wheel for sale. Mint, like new condition! $450
or trade for 18" X 9" version.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
balefire
Pro

Just what I was looking for, thanks! I am used to using Mobile 1 GL5 in that weight for my other gear boxes, not sure if it has any friction modifiers but I'll look... you did not mention that option but it meets the specs you outlined (75w-90 GL5). Where did you get those specs btw - my manual was silent on this.
This link may help since the GT3s also have an LSD...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l-for-gt3.html

Renntech also has a list of the TSBs. in 2008 Porsche released a new TSB that lists the approved oils for the transmission / gearbox and supersedes the old TSB from 2000
Old 10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
JACEK
2nd Gear

Hi there, new member, I've had a 40th anniversary 911 for almost two years now, completely touble free just a lots of fun. Daily driver / daily use, wouldn't have it any other way. Production # 843.

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ