Hard start at the gas station

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 02:44 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Hard start at the gas station

Hey all,

The other day had an odd moment when my 04' C2 RoW filled quite slowly at the pump coupled with not turning over until the 3rd try and my foot on the gas pedal. Car sounded like it had power to turn over nut wouldn't catch. Car turns over fine when cold and even when hot (started cable already replaced).

ECU hasn't recorded any errors and no check engine light either. Although there is a faint smell of gas in the front wheel well (my drivers side or US passenger side).

I dont have any supplementary air pump etc.

From what I have read this could be indicative of a bad purge valve or could it be the regeneration valve in the engine bay or the carbon canister shut off valve or filler neck vent valve? What does the regeneration valve actually do and can it be visually inspected?

Thought it might also be the cap but that wouldn't explain the slow fill (although the pump could have been coincidentally slow too). The cap rubber does have one small crack in the seal.

Just want to confirm if this could be the regeneration valve or purge valve or shut off valve (although that may have caused a error code?) or fuel vent valve/bleeder valve based on the scenario above.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:49 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My hard start after fueling was the bad regeneration valve. I had no trouble filling the tank but it was a bear to restart. The day I was going to change out the valve, the ecu finally threw a code. I don't recall what it was. I don't believe you will see any outward signs on the valve indicating a failure. It's very easy to change out and a little over a hundred bucks at Pelican Parts.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks gator, I recall reading your thread it came up in my search. That's where I got the idea it might be the regeneration valve. Going to fill up at my regular local station and see if it's still slow. If it is I think it will be the fuel bleeder valve. I'd be happy to swap it but it will cost me a bit after the exchange rate and shipping

​​​​​
Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 AM
trendy996
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Purge will cause a near impossible fill up. The other, as mentioned, a hard start.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:54 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Had a "similar" issue a few weeks ago. Based on reading past threads here, also suspected the regeneration valve. Only "weird" thing with my case, car was a NO-START (not just hard starts) and started with a boost/jump. Turned out my battery was dying.

IOW, check your battery also
Old 01-03-2017, 11:31 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've changed my regen valve and it didn't do anything for hard starts after refueling.

I am thinking the injectors are tired and old. They will be replaced this winter...
Old 01-03-2017, 03:56 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Thanks everyone

Originally Posted by kromdom
Turned out my battery was dying.

IOW, check your battery also
Had an air bag light reset (unrelated) by my dealership who also advised my battery was at 40% charge and 90% health. Although this didn't sound like a power issue as the voltage didn't drop too much
Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Filled up last night, interestingly there was no pressure released from the gas cap? I.e. there was no "hiss" like there usually is? Odd...

Anyway was fine to fill, regular speed and then fired up first turn??

I have noticed quite a few cracks in the gas cap seal? Could this be the offending part? Ill try and get a pic over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Hard start at the gas station