Sponsored by:

Let's "feel" lighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Let's "feel" lighter

Without expensive and drastic weight reductions, what can be done to make our heavy cars "feel" lighter? I have the stock suspension and I'm considering going to the ROW 030 setup.

Would that help due to better chassis stability and maybe better turn-in? I already have the lightweight carrera wheels, and I'm not willing to spend several thousand for even lighter wheels.

I came from a 2,800 lb, RX8 with 50/50 weight distribution and miss the nimbleness of that car. But that car wasn't for me...p-cars are forever in my future. Some day I'll also have a 2,500 lb air-cooled 911 to complement the 996 DD, but that's a different discussion.

This has probably been brought up 1,000 times prior, but just putting it out there for suggestions.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Optical TDI
Without expensive and drastic weight reductions, what can be done to make our heavy cars "feel" lighter? I have the stock suspension and I'm considering going to the ROW 030 setup.

Would that help due to better chassis stability and maybe better turn-in? I already have the lightweight carrera wheels, and I'm not willing to spend several thousand for even lighter wheels.
What do you mean by better turn in and chassis stability? And why do you want it [for the track?] You can get better turn in with an alignment adjusting your front toe.

As far as weight, the easiest things to try getting lighter seats (saves ~100lbs) and lighter mufflers (saves ~30 lbs). Going extreme, you can remove rear seats and sound deadening from the rear and get another 100-150 lbs out.

Also, it doesn't help to have a 150 pound glass roof messing with your center of gravity

-td
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Drive a Cayenne around the block a couple of times, and then take your 996 out for a spin. I assure you it will feel very light!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Dave!
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to the gym.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Feel lighter without removing weight?

Humm.... well you could put 17" x 7, 8 wheels on it with 215 front tires and 235 on the rear. Run with 40 and 46 PSI. I will guarantee the car will feel lighter, respond quicker to steering input, etc.

Oh... I never knew our cars felt heavy. I admit, I've never driven a Miata, and it's been years since I've had my MGs, Minis, Sunbeam, XKE, etc.

I know, funny answers to a funny question.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Just noticed you own a Targa.

I can't relate, I go topless most of the time.

Now I can just imagine, your car is like driving with a person sitting on your roof or like driving down a twisting canyon on a sport bike with a passenger standing up on the pegs.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Actual weight reduction as mentioned will lighten the feel of your Porsche, and rear seat removal is very simple to reverse if you want to actually carry anyone who might fit back there. They don't weigh much, yet they lighten in the rear of the car and that's good. Lighter wheels or any other unsprung weight reduction should contribute to 'better' handling, and I would recommend the ROW MO3O over stock.
My 1960 Bugeye Sprite that I owned for 30 yrs. felt light because it was...17??+ lbs. and a very 'twitchy' steering, almost too sensitive.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Hapich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Date thinner women
Old 04-19-2010, 12:31 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not sure I'd agree that our cars are heavy by modern standards! Typically, a lighter feel is accomplished with less rotating mass, and then less weight at the extremities. Sounds like you don't have much room to maneuver there.

But I'll say this: If you want it to feel light, find a track and drive it faster. They feel like they drop about 800 pounds above 160kph or so.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well two things you are driving the Targa, I have one too, and that glass increases the overall weight of the car quite a lot. Secondly you don't want to make the suspension too stiff as you risk the possibility of ejecting the glass from the roof. This is something I have been warned about as I was about to track out my suspension but was told of a couple of incidents where the car becomes so stiff that it will eject the glass.

I don't want the poor sod behind me getting the scare of his life thinking my targa has an ejection seat, and secondly I don't fancy paying for a new roof......
Old 04-19-2010, 12:54 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Get a Miata!
Old 04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

There is only so much you can do to lighten your car before it becomes a track car! I would think lighter rims would save 5-10lbs per wheel (without going $insane$ on rims) over OEM, lighter battery, lighter exhaust cans are the easy items. Then things get expensive, such as carbon front hoods, lighter body work, lighter rotors, OEM wing changed to aftermarket and OEM suspension pieces changed out for high buck aftermarket, carbon seats etc.

If your not going to track the car I wouldn't do much more then the rims and maybe the exhaust/header changes.

I think you'll find that for a street car - the first hundred pound savings can cost a few thousand (rims, new cans etc.) and the next hundred pounds costs 3X the first hundred pound savings! Don't ask about the next hundred pounds after the first two.

Race cars are a lot easier as the parts stripped off can be sold to other owners for their street cars. Then the second wave of upgrading on the race car begins with the Moton's and gets way Diamond American Express card serious soon after.

As your car is a Targa and has a fixed weight level that will always be a little higher then coupes (unless you go mad!) - I'd leave it to a few changes that can be unbolted and OEM put back on if you change your mind/sell the car. My 2cents.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
Get a Miata!
Doh!
Old 04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Or 1969 Mini weight...
Old 04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave!
Go to the gym.
I could stand to lose 20 lbs. I'll let my wife know fellow Rennlister's said she should go to the gym! or maybe not.

Quick Reply: Let's "feel" lighter