Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Can hood actuator be adjusted? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/557949-can-hood-actuator-be-adjusted.html)

Bozbomber 03-25-2010 02:17 AM

Can hood actuator be adjusted?

I have been dealing with this front hood for about a month now and I am stuck... At the beginning, the front hood sometimes open sometimes doesn't. I took the hood latch off (thru emergency release cable) lubricated then reinstalled and it doesn't open anymore.

I have then tried the screwdriver trick on the hood latch and when press the release switch from inside of the car, it doesn't seem the metal cable was able to pull all the way to release the latch. I thought maybe I have a bad hood latch and happen to find a used 996 hood latch off ebay and installed it over the weekend but the problem still there. The metal cable didn't pull far enough to release the latch. I was able to get the latch release by putting little force into it.

Now I am stuck and don't know what to looking into..... Any advice what could possibly be wrong or is it possible to adjust the actuator?

Thanks!

Nikki 08-02-2011 04:43 PM

Did you ever solve your issue? I now have the same problem.

joelpirela 08-03-2011 08:44 AM

I disassembled the whole thing, clean everything with WD40, re-installed and that seems to work. My catch wasn't "catching" the hood part that keeps it down in place.

al986 03-30-2013 05:59 PM

Reviving this old thread. Did anyone replace their actuator? I'm wondering if the actuator doesn't have enough strength to pull the release cable.

I've been able to pop my hood twice in a row and then it won't open for maybe an hour.

My thinking is if the latch is well greased and everything is aligned, then perhaps its the actuator that is starting to fail.

Regards,
Andrew
05 997

Zanzibar Red 996 03-30-2013 07:20 PM

Yes actuator will help
Especially the engine hood

al986 03-31-2013 06:55 AM

Thanks ZR. Sounds like a good preventive measure to do.

mrrrkva 04-05-2015 12:36 PM

Does anyone have the instructions on how to replace the hood actuator?

Nir Yatziv 06-12-2019 03:53 PM

Os7213 06-12-2019 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nir Yatziv (Post 15903288)

Sure I did it a couple weeks ago.
Its actually easy.
The actuator is located on the front driver side close to the left light.
So take off the front carpet in the trunk and you should see the motor in the front corner.
There's a chance that it will be wrapped in foam.
Take off the foam and the connector attached to the actuator motor.
The motor and the pull cable are 2 different parts and can be de-assembled.
I only changed the motor and kept the old cable.
So you detach the cable from the motor and slide the cable attachment off.
Install new motor, put the foam back on and re-install the connector.
You can even test it before putting it back in the front corner.
If it doesnt work your switch need to be cleaned.
I do have detailled instructions for that if its the case let me know.

Fatjim 07-17-2023 10:30 AM

Found the release cable, now what......

Hi Guys,

Been dealing with a non working frunk for about a year now on my '04.996. Finally ordered the new actuator and decided to tackle the job. I have located the emergency release cable in the passenger side wheel well, but cant get it to release the frunk. I feel like I'm pulling on it pretty hard. Am i missing something or just need to keep trying?

Thanks in advance!

ZuffenZeus 07-17-2023 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fatjim (Post 18911287)
Hi Guys,

Been dealing with a non working frunk for about a year now on my '04.996. Finally ordered the new actuator and decided to tackle the job. I have located the emergency release cable in the passenger side wheel well, but cant get it to release the frunk. I feel like I'm pulling on it pretty hard. Am i missing something or just need to keep trying?

Thanks in advance!

The emergency is routed in such a way, that it makes it hard to get proper leverage. I know this may be not what you want to hear, but I would strongly recommend removing the front bumper skin to do this job. This will give you clear access to the locking mechanism and cabling to the actuator. I've done it, and can't imagine not removing the bumper. It went so much easier.

DBJoe996 07-17-2023 03:00 PM

Try this: you pull on the cable while someone else try's to pull up on the hood. Takes some small fingers but it might work.