Sponsored by:

Is Muffler delete too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mike99
I have the ebay muffler bypass on. And it sounds great. I dont think it is crazy loud. I had a mustang cobra before the porsche and it was alot louder then the porsche. If you like a mean sounding car then do it. You will love it. I do
Where in PA are you located?

I'd love to get together and hear the pipes in person before I purchase them.

Anyone else have these near Reading PA?
Old 08-21-2010, 04:39 AM
bigrob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I DID buy the bypass pipes on eBay and have had them for a while now in my garage. So crazy hot here in Vegas, I'm waiting for the temps to drop. Gonna do them soon tho!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:19 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm a fan of quiet cars, and the ability to hear the rest of mechanical harmony instead of just exhaust or intake noises. Even my stripped/caged track cars have had full factory exhausts with cats -with two exceptions, but I was in highschool and college back then... That, and turbos tend to have a muffling effect and the flames look cool!
Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
I'm a fan of quiet cars, and the ability to hear the rest of mechanical harmony instead of just exhaust or intake noises. Even my stripped/caged track cars have had full factory exhausts with cats -with two exceptions, but I was in highschool and college back then... That, and turbos tend to have a muffling effect and the flames look cool!
C'mon you know the only "harmony" your trying to hear is your radio...
Old 08-21-2010, 04:15 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Where in PA are you located?

I'd love to get together and hear the pipes in person before I purchase them.

Anyone else have these near Reading PA?
York, Im Right off the PA turnpike. I-83 Let me no when your coming.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Small world fellas, I grew up in Downingtown, PA. Right down Rt 30... I actually went to college for a little while at Millersville.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

to the OP,

Yes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Originally Posted by r1de23
Small world fellas, I grew up in Downingtown, PA. Right down Rt 30... I actually went to college for a little while at Millersville.
Great school, Been to a lot of partys there back in the 80s. I grew up in the Hershey, E-Town area.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Great school, Been to a lot of partys there back in the 80s. I grew up in the Hershey, E-Town area.
As soon as I get out of the military next year, HOPEFULLY I can land a job in that region (tri-state). I sort of miss that area. After living in the Midwest for a while it makes you appreciate the East Coast.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:16 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

during a drive home of about 5-6 hours.... i realize that the exhaust sound is very useful to tell what the engine is doing.... it was instant feedback for rev-matching, heel toe... etc. When I shut my exhaust off, (I have PSE on/off), I had to look at my tach to figure out what the engine was doing since it was so muted.... Yes, you do get used to that loud exhaust and love the feed back you get.... but if you can have both world.... bypass/muffler, that would be sweet.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Thanks for the invite, I'll let you know if I get out that way anytime soon. I think that is about a 3 hour round trip drive for me. I was out that way a few years back doing the Harley factory tour.

BTW, are your eBay pipes manufactured by Velocity Motoring? I was looking at a pair of these on eBay the other night. If so, what is the quality of the tips. That is what I am most concerned about, anyone can make the pipes but the quality of the tips are what is really important.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:06 PM
911mike99
Instructor

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Thanks for the invite, I'll let you know if I get out that way anytime soon. I think that is about a 3 hour round trip drive for me. I was out that way a few years back doing the Harley factory tour.

BTW, are your eBay pipes manufactured by Velocity Motoring? I was looking at a pair of these on eBay the other night. If so, what is the quality of the tips. That is what I am most concerned about, anyone can make the pipes but the quality of the tips are what is really important.
They are Velocity pipes. And are great quality. The tips are perfect.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I love perfect tips.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Thanks
Old 04-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Niceguyeddie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, to revisit this old topic:
1. I've listened to all the sound bytes
2. Muffler delete IS loud, and I'm sure that on a long trip, it would drone and become painful to listen to.
3. Aside from the noise, muffler delete gains these benefits:
a. Less weight
b. Less backpressure
c. WOW/coolness factor from everybody.
d. I can't scroll back through the pages of this thread, but someone mentioned how the exhaust helps tell what is going on with the car, and I totally agree, and in fact, I wish it was louder so that I could tell how successful my heel/toe technique is during fast cornering. Sometimes I come out of a heel/toe shift and think....OK...was that a good one???
Now, although people mention that it is "too loud" for daily use, I have to take issue with that; There are a few motorcycles AND performance vehicles on my block that start up EVERY day and they seem much louder than this modification would produce, so I think my medium contribution to noise pollution is not the worst offender.
Further, after years of listening to loud music, I am pretty used to loud noises, so I don't think I would be too annoyed by this modification.

As my exhaust has developed a really bad rattle and I can't see any brackets that are loose or shrouds that are touching, I assume it is the inside of the muffler that is rusting out (I hope its the muffler and not the cat) I am looking for a cheap solution, and I am pretty much set on doing this to fix the problem.

Quick Reply: Is Muffler delete too loud?