Sponsored by:

window tint suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default window tint suggestions

With my new full leather black interior heading into a southern summer I'm considering tinting the windows.

I'll find the best shop locally to have it done. But I was wondering if anyone had any rules of thumb or tales of ugly experiences that will help me figure out exactly what I might want - or don't want?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Check to see what the maximum tint % your state allows and go from there. Usually, they have a max for rear windows and for side windows, but often the tint % is different for each (rear vs side).

The last thing you want to di is apply too dark of a tint and it not pass inspection the following year.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
bigrob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told to find a shop that does laser cutting. They will be able to have the tint pre cut, instead of cutting while on your windows. I am worried about all the soapy water all over my leather doors
Old 03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Thumbs up

Ralph, 33% is the darkest legal in NC. Front windshield is off limits, and I wouldn't even do the top strip if you had considered it; looks tacky IMO.

I had my C4S, and the GT3, done by Pete at TVP. He used a 'charcoal' color I think it was called. The Black interior will make it look darker, but it is legal.

He does all or most of the work for Leith as well. He's good people, uses quality films, and does exceptional work. You are welcome to see it any Saturday in Apex

He is in Morrisville. http://tvpauto.com/

Old 03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Look at the % of heat rejection versus light transmission for the film that your shop offers. When I did my old 993 two years ago Huper Optik was the highest. However, I believe currently 3M has a line called Crystalline that offers the highest heat rejection % and is also easy to install and very optically clear.

I chose to go with the film that offered the highest heat rejection for 70% light transmission or maybe 60%. I can't quite remember. Either way, I wanted very little tint.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

That reminds me - there is also a reflectivity limit in NC; can't remember what it is, but a quick Google search can find it.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,376 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by SH || NC

Your GT3 is beautiful

WINDOW TINT LAWS BY STATE HERE
Old 03-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are what is called ceramic coatings. I'm sure any tinting shop will have a heat lamp in a box with different varieties of tint to show you where the ceramic cuts a lot of the heat rays. It makes your car much cooler to get in after the sun has been on it. 2 or 3 hundred more for the ceramic tint. Don't be using your electric rear window defroster with tinting. Junks it all up making the view terrible.

Quick Reply: window tint suggestions