Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Magnetic oil drain plug (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/551334-magnetic-oil-drain-plug.html)

bigrob 02-18-2010 12:06 PM

Magnetic oil drain plug

Is there a magnetic oil drain plug available for our cars? And if so, where can I purchase one? Then again.....these engines are aluminum! Duh!!

Thanks!!

No HTwo O 02-18-2010 12:11 PM

Check L&N Engineering's site. Charles Nevarro has one.

ivangene 02-18-2010 12:12 PM

there are metal parts internal - bearings and chains, ect...

I have seen posts for Mag drian plug so i am sure they exsist.

No HTwo O 02-18-2010 12:14 PM

Here ya go:

http://www.lnengineering.com/store/c...lug-p-113.html

scubadawg 02-18-2010 12:29 PM

I got mine from

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/996drainplug.html

medtech 02-18-2010 01:00 PM

I've had the L&N on my 911 and it definitely works. Each oil change pulls out a small amount of iron shavings.

In fact I plan on buying 2 for the next oil change on the cayenne.

And if you really want some clean oil you can order their spin-on filter adapter, use a Mobil 1 filter and slap a Filtermag on it. :thumbup:

NA011 02-18-2010 01:24 PM

Question: Does the magnetic oil drain plug keep the steel shavings from reaching the filter or are these shavings being passed through the filter? It's kind of like which came first the chicken or the egg? A filtermag would be the best option.

Shark Attack 02-18-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by medtech (Post 7324022)

And if you really want some clean oil you can order their spin-on filter adapter, use a Mobil 1 filter and slap a Filtermag on it. :thumbup:

I have thought about this mod and does it really do any better? I thought it was a convenience mod and a price mod that the cartridge is 15$ and spin on filters are $5. However I kinda like the cartridge because I can see if anything large actually got caught by the filter with out cutting it apart. And if you cut a spin on apart, the internals look like the cartridge.... So does it really clean any better? And for once I am not being a smart ass, this is an actual question.

medtech 02-18-2010 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shark Attack (Post 7324169)
I have thought about this mod and does it really do any better? I thought it was a convenience mod and a price mod that the cartridge is 15$ and spin on filters are $5. However I kinda like the cartridge because I can see if anything large actually got caught by the filter with out cutting it apart. And if you cut a spin on apart, the internals look like the cartridge.... So does it really clean any better? And for once I am not being a smart ass, this is an actual question.

When I am talking filter, I'm only referring to high flow filters like K&N and Mobil 1. I think the advantages are in the construction and materials. ie. The spin on filters have gauze or synthetic material vs paper in the OEM. They also have anti-backflow valves in them. Regardless of the filter you will still have particulates that are small enough to pass through. The filtermag will trap these, if they are iron of course. You are basically just trapping some of the fine grit that could possibly contribute to engine wear over the life of the engine.

The adapter is about $160 and a good filtermag runs about $80. Is it worth it? Well, for me it is...I just like having cleaner oil. :thumbup:

yasuro 02-18-2010 03:51 PM

doesn't most of the oil sit in the oil pan when the car is off and at rest? i would think it's at that point that the magnetic filter plug would do its thing and draw in any ferromagnetic stuff sitting in the pan.

yes, there will be stuff in the oil filter, but if it's large enough to get caught in the filter, then it should stay in the filter.

medtech 02-18-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by yasuro (Post 7324585)
doesn't most of the oil sit in the oil pan when the car is off and at rest? i would think it's at that point that the magnetic filter plug would do its thing and draw in any ferromagnetic stuff sitting in the pan.

yes, there will be stuff in the oil filter, but if it's large enough to get caught in the filter, then it should stay in the filter.

Yes, I agree. In fact the particles that I caught with the magnetic plug were so big, I believe they probably live in the bottom of the pan most of the time. A few that are close to the drain get flushed during the oil change, but the rest just hang out and build up over time. Now, could these theoretically cause damage if they get kicked up and sucked into the system? I honestly don't know. For $19 it's cheap insurance and I feel good everytime I change the oil and catch more iron. :D

No HTwo O 02-18-2010 04:30 PM

You guys should do oil analysis too for about $22 at places like Blackstone Labs to learn more about these metals.

bigrob 02-18-2010 04:32 PM

Just ordered the one from L&N! Thanks!

medtech 02-18-2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by No HTwo O (Post 7324704)
You guys should do oil analysis too for about $22 at places like Blackstone Labs to learn more about these metals.

I did mine right before I sold it. They said I have the engine of a twenty year old virgin! LOL...jk

They did say the engine seemed great and no problems. :thumbsup:

I'm not worried about the metals being there, I know this is normal.
My untested theory really centers around removing fine grit from the oil in as many ways as possible, in hopes that it will reduce friction, wear, etc. over the long term. Of course none of that matters if you get a pourous block or something like that.

PJorgen 02-18-2010 04:49 PM

+1 on the oil analysis. I think that's a better way to spend your money. Not to say you can't do both tho'