996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dancing Oil Pressure Gage - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 AM
itsben
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dancing Oil Pressure Gage - Help!

With the engine on from cold, the oil pressure gauge jumps to 5. As the engine warms up, the pressure goes down to about 3.5. But as I press the accelerator, the oil pressure guage jumps around to nearly 5, and then down again to 3.5 at idle (e.g. stopped at intersection). Is this normal, that the oil pressure jumps around?

Also, the OBC showed “sensor failure” message and the pressure drops to zero about four times in the last 2 months. The oil pressure warning light does NOT come on. I toggle the “okay” lever and pressure goes back up to 3.5 or 5 (what ever it was reading before) and the sensor failure message goes away. I read that the “sensor failure” could be the oil pressure sender (996 606 203 02). So I replaced with a new sender thinking that it will also solve the dancing pressure guage. But still the same. From cold start, pressure is 5 then creeps down to 3.5 when warm. But it still dances from 3.5 to 5 as I give it gas. And just replaced so have not experienced the "sensor failure" message again (or yet).

Any ideas?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Gauge Reading is Normal, read your Owners Manual it explains the Readings... OPS Failure is a common Issue... This topic was just covered last week, please go a search...
Old 02-12-2010, 03:49 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche has an oil pressure regulator system that keeps the pressure up then lets it lower after warmed up. Oil pressures will be lower when oil is hot and higher when oil is cold. If you are on the gas pressures go up. All normal.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:47 AM
lotecredneck
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itsben
With the engine on from cold, the oil pressure gauge jumps to 5. As the engine warms up, the pressure goes down to about 3.5. But as I press the accelerator, the oil pressure guage jumps around to nearly 5, and then down again to 3.5 at idle (e.g. stopped at intersection). Is this normal, that the oil pressure jumps around?

Also, the OBC showed “sensor failure” message and the pressure drops to zero about four times in the last 2 months. The oil pressure warning light does NOT come on. I toggle the “okay” lever and pressure goes back up to 3.5 or 5 (what ever it was reading before) and the sensor failure message goes away. I read that the “sensor failure” could be the oil pressure sender (996 606 203 02). So I replaced with a new sender thinking that it will also solve the dancing pressure guage. But still the same. From cold start, pressure is 5 then creeps down to 3.5 when warm. But it still dances from 3.5 to 5 as I give it gas. And just replaced so have not experienced the "sensor failure" message again (or yet).

Any ideas?
Replace the oil pressure sending unit. Mine did the same thing and I replaced it and it all returned to normal. Do a search for the DIY.

Tony
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM
itsben
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the help. I did replace the sender after reading the DIY for the "sensor failure." The DYI helped a lot and made it simple. The 19mm crowfoot, with extension and socket wrench was a great tip. Instead of getting to it from the bottom, the top worked really well for me. Job done in 10 mins.

The pressure gauge was not so clear for me, even after doing the search. I did read the manual prior and it said that pressure should be at 3.5 @ 5000 rpm. My car is never at 3.5 @ 5000 rpm. Much higher. But it's good to know that the "dancing" pressure is normal. THANKS AGAIN ALL.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yah all cars oil pressures go up when rpms go up.

Quick Reply: Dancing Oil Pressure Gage - Help!