Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New spark plugs - why didn't I have this done sooner??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 PM
carsareart
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use to change the plugs and points in my old Datsun Z car. That car was great to work on. You could pull the distributor and adjust it on the bench. Plugs, it was so open on that side of the motor you could almost sit in a lawn chair and use an extension to pull the plugs. That car use to eat points, it seemed like I was putting new ones in once a month or so. I think they cost at least $2 and the plugs were about $2 each too.
BTW, in that old car I really could tell the difference when they were changed. With new plugs and points it would start on the first hit of the starter.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 PM
bfutch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Replacement

There is no need to remove the mufflers on your 996. However, I do suggest you remove the "header exhaust" and remove them from the cats. This will make the process somewhat easier. Be careful when removing the exhaust bolts as they may break off in the heads! Coat the bolts with Phillips Milk of Magnesia (original flavor) and reinstall them. MoM is a great anti seize! I also replace my plugs using the new
Pulstar Be1i (2002, 996) and have noticed a 2 mpg increase in mileage and better bottom end torque, but I can't prove it.

Quick Reply: New spark plugs - why didn't I have this done sooner??