Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New spark plugs - why didn't I have this done sooner??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Have any Ca car owners done the fister D's exhaust mod ? I like the sound of it , and this post has prompted me to change the plugs and mod the mufflers while i have them off. I need to call them and see if its legal to do in CA with the smog requirements .
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Failure of spark plugs on a stock engine in less than 50,000 miles is extremely rare and simply because someone changing them earlier and "possibly" getting better peformance afterwards, is no reason to simply start changing them sooner when there is no indication of a problem. Even the cheapest plugs will last 50,000+ miles, thanks to the unleaded fuel we use along with better fuel management.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Luminator
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Answered my own question about the fister d exhaust mod. Called Darin at FD motorsports and he was super cool and informative. Found out its smog legal as the mod is done after the cat, smog sensors, etc. I will be pulling my mufflers off in Feb and shipping them north to get the bypass done and the ceramic coating in velvet black. This is going to get addicting, as many of you have advised me. I'll post up some pics when its done and report my findings.
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:37 PM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
...Even the cheapest plugs will last 50,000+ miles, thanks to the unleaded fuel we use along with better fuel management.
I am not disagreeing. But is there any effect of absolute age? In making the mileage specifications did that include assumptions about miles driven per year?

I have two cars, a 2002 & a 2003; both running on the original plugs and have pondered about just changing them due to age.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I am not disagreeing. But is there any effect of absolute age? In making the mileage specifications did that include assumptions about miles driven per year?

I have two cars, a 2002 & a 2003; both running on the original plugs and have pondered about just changing them due to age.

Age has less effect on plugs than does mileage. Materials used are non corrosive and moisture has little effect on them. Any oxidation on the plugs will be eliminated within seconds after starting the engine. Keep marketing hype seperate from reality. Additionally, a single ground electrode plug will perform exactly as well as a plug with mulitple ground electrodes.

Obviously, it is in the best interest of the manufacturer to suggest that plugs be replaced more frequently than necessary and to be replaced with the newest, superduty, high tech and more costly plug. A $15 plug will provide no more performance than will a $2.50 one. Getting 100,000 miles out of a stock spark plug is very common.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:18 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I had my mechanic install the new plugs I was going to do myself but decided I might need my back. So, I picked it up tonight. AMAZINGLY better comes to mind. The engine is quieter, smoother, more responsive, sounds healthier, the car is easier to shift smoothly. Someone said it best - transformationally better!

My old plugs only had 20k miles on them, so most would say "why change them"? If you have original plugs, CHANGE THEM (or pay someone to do it)! You will NOT be sorry!
Yes, I often notice that any one of my cars run smoother, quieter, and accelerate quicker after washing and polishing them. I've always attributed that to the reduction of airflow drag due to the waxing.

I just put new spark plugs in my grandson's '92 LS400 (150,000 miles), I'll have to check with him to see what his experience was as a result.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:26 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Age has less effect on plugs than does mileage. Materials used are non corrosive and moisture has little effect on them. Any oxidation on the plugs will be eliminated within seconds after starting the engine. Keep marketing hype seperate from reality. Additionally, a single ground electrode plug will perform exactly as well as a plug with mulitple ground electrodes.

Obviously, it is in the best interest of the manufacturer to suggest that plugs be replaced more frequently than necessary and to be replaced with the newest, superduty, high tech and more costly plug. A $15 plug will provide no more performance than will a $2.50 one. Getting 100,000 miles out of a stock spark plug is very common.
Well said, stated.

The only thing I might add is the fact that todays coil-on-plug technique along with the newer solid state ignition systems provide a more reliable high voltage for initiating the spark.

The factory spark plugs that I just removed from a '92 LS400 with 150,000 miles looked, with re-gapping, as if they might be good for another 150,000 miles. I put new platinum tipped plugs in anyway.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it the consensus here that after 10 years of firing, plugs should work as good as new, as long as they don't exceed the recommended miles?

All I know is my car runs better with the new plugs. Unless removing and installing the coil wires caused a better connection / spark, why else would my car run better after a plug change?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same positive experience changing my plugs a while back, even though they weren't due for it.

I also had the same experience with board members vigorously explaining to me that I was an overimaginative idiot and that there was no way in God's creation this could make a difference. I remained, however, happy with my decision.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM
BruceP
Drifting

This is not, in fact, true. It may be in the interest of dealerships, but not manufacturers. German car companies pay environmental levies on every car's estimated lifetime consumables, notably including oil. Thus, they are incented to stretch certain maintenance intervals as long as they reasonably can.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by BruceP
This is not, in fact, true. It may be in the interest of dealerships, but not manufacturers. German car companies pay environmental levies on every car's estimated lifetime consumables, notably including oil. Thus, they are incented to stretch certain maintenance intervals as long as they reasonably can.
Actually, it is very true since I was speaking of the spark plug manufacturers. As far as I know no one mentioned the auto manufacturers.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Actually, it is very true since I was speaking of the spark plug manufacturers. You're the only one who mentioned auto manufacturers.
Then perhaps you should have said "sparkplug manufacturers."

Charming as ever, I see.

EDIT: You've edited your post three times now, presumably to come off a little less cranky. I appreciate that.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Then perhaps you should have said "sparkplug manufacturers."

Charming as ever, I see.

EDIT: You've edited your post three times now, presumably to come off a little less cranky. I appreciate that.

Maybe you should have just accepted it exactly as stated and not assumed something that was not said.

And, yes I did edit what I said in an attempt to find a nice way of saying your assumption was moronic.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Maybe you should have just accepted it exactly as stated and not assumed something that was not said.

And, yes I did edit what I said in an attempt to find a nice way of saying your assumption was moronic.
If that is your definition of moronic, then you must move in some very rarified circles. I can see now why the anger management thing didn't work out for you, what with all the MENSA meetings.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

If that is your definition of moronic, then you must move in some very rarified circles. I can see now why the anger management thing didn't work out for you, what with all the MENSA meetings.

Thank you for confirming that I responded to you properly and accurately. Now, take your pills and go back to sleep.

Quick Reply: New spark plugs - why didn't I have this done sooner??