Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway Install in 996 with CDR23 notes

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
jyoteen
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Dension Gateway Install in 996 with CDR23 notes

Yesterday, I undertook the install on my 996 of the Dension Gateway 500 with the CDR23. I don't have PCM obviously and I did a lot of searching. I usually suck at searching on the web because a lot of the times, my terminology isn't exact. Also, I found that a lot of posts had to do w/ the 997 WITH the PCM and Dension's included notes can be a touch confusing (specially for an arty type like me who's not all that technical minded)

Some notes:

1. Do remove the center console first
2. Do remove the horseshoe trim after the lower center console (CD magazine/cubby whole) removd. It's easier to pry up on the plastic. No one wants to break stuff and I'm notorious for doing stuff like this but yes, it's just prying it up.

3. I decided to install the Dension box inside partly because I was kind of confused by the MOST fiber loop which in my car is stashed away behind the brake master cylinder and you can't really see where it's going to as I don't have the CD changer.

4. I used the installation type 3A in the Dension Gateway 500 instructions where you tap into the loop behind the head unit

5. I went to my porsche dealership and of course they are of no help. They refused to just pull on the head unit or sell me the stupid radio keys. They were overly difficult so I have to badmouth LA Downtown Porsche. Their service department was open and it's literally a 10 second job. They said that they'd have to open a service ticket and charge me $75.

I called Radio Shack, Volkswagen parts, Audi parts (it's the same key), but the Radio Shack guy suggested calling Kragen. And wouldn't you know it. They RENT the keys FREE! for 2 days. Bingo.

6. Remove the climate control unit too because it's easier to coax the head unit back w. the MOST cable and other cables. Take special note as to how the climate control unit is affixed. The lower screws hold the sliding bracket in while the top scres actually hold the climate control unit onto the bracket. These germans couldn't figure out a simpler way? Wasn't difficult, just amusing.

7. Dension REALLY needs to include a longer MOST cable that taps into the head unit. As you can see, it's barely adequate and really needs 5 or so more inches of length.

8. Remove the battery so you can feed power from the battery (where I tapped into the constant power it needs). Feed the cables through the large circular rubber grommet behind the battery.

9. I routed the switch (seen in the 3rd pic) and USB cable into the glovebox. This is a bit of a pain as to the cables not cooperating to go through the cavity, but removal of the climate control, the head unit and the horseshoe surround will help. BTW, I could never figure out how to disconnect the antenna and I didn't force it. I just rested the head unit on the lower console.

10. Make sure your CD changer option is enabled using a Porsche Tester by the dealer, but I went to my mechanic the day before to make sure it was enabled. Also, after the install, make sure the switch on the Dension black box that goes into the glove compartment is not set in service mode otherwise it'll look like the CD changer was not enabled and you'll scratch your head.

I think that's it. I have to get velcro so I can mount the unit on top of the Airbag unit that's below in the pics, but other than that, allow 3 hours inclusive cable feeding through frustration.

Driver's side view. Notice orientation. Least amount of cable strain, especially that MOST cable.

Passenger side. I had this cable dangling and disconnected. Anyone know what it is for?

I have to affix this to the 'roof' in the glove compartment w/ the included brackets.

Some research:

http://support.dension.com/downloads...tall_Guide.pdf

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...ving+head+unit

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxst...procedure.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ved-today.html

Search Keywords meta:

Dension
Dension Gateway 500
996 Dension
CDR23 Dension
Dension Gateway without CD Changer

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway Install in 996 with CDR23 notes