996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bilstein PSS10s - q's

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:46 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't be 100% sure that one of the bars isn't upside down, but based upon being underneath it and checking it out, they look like they fit properly (same fit as stock bars before). The indy has done a lot of these, but obviously mistakes happen. Drop links are stock C2 996, but machined to fit the GT3 front bar. What problems would that cause? Wouldn't the "bouncing" still be related to the shocks / springs?

I appreciate all the input. Also, can someone tell me how to post pics to a thread? Every time I try it it says my file upload failed.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

PRELOAD!.... I'll bet the issue is preload on your front sway bars caused by the OEM drop links. With the GT3 sway bars you should be using adjustable drop links like TRG's or Tarret's. The stock links are probably too short and therefore preloaded. They should be initially installed and adjusted on an alignment rack. You could test your self by jacking up the front end equally on both sides and unbolting one side from the sway bar. It should pull out easily and have adequate length to go back into any of the 5 holes. If you have to lift or manipulate the sway bar, you're installing preload. You should also set the bar on full soft up front to start......
Old 11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

^^^ thats gotta be a helluva pre-load to do what x51 is describing. Im thinking, there is something wrong with his Pss10 that sneaked passed QC.... or maybe the springs are backwards (Rear springs in the front and vice versa).
Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
...With the GT3 sway bars you should be using adjustable drop links like TRG's or Tarret's. The stock links are probably too short and therefore preloaded. ...
Whether that's the case or not, I really suggest Tarett Engg stuff. I used to work with Ira before he started Tarett. In fact I just went to his shop to talk about some stuff at lunch today. Lol! Anyway, high quality stuff with all sorts of adjustability that really does work quite well. You might want to call him up and ask him what he thinks; he's a pretty knowledgeable dude.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by redridge
^^^ thats gotta be a helluva pre-load to do what x51 is describing. Im thinking, there is something wrong with his Pss10 that sneaked passed QC.... or maybe the springs are backwards (Rear springs in the front and vice versa).
Bilstein has pretty good quality control, I would be surprised if anything's wrong with the dampers. The front GT3 sway bar is quite a bit thicker than the OEM bar to begin with, and he's got it set in the middle which is too stiff for the car with anything but slicks. Preloading that front bar would only exasberate the difference between the bars and perhaps that's what he's experiencing. That's my $.02....
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

The shocks are on the right corners, but the drop links can certainly be investigated. As indicated in my prior post, they were machined from the stock ones to fit the GT3 bar. The indy didn't seem to think that should be any problem at all, but it's worth me checking out further.

I will report back after I'm able to get it in and looked at. Any other ideas are welcomed. Thanks for the ideas and feedback - much appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:00 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

PJorgen, Do you have TRG's adjustable drop links or stock?

X51 did your indy use stock drop links? Just a thought....
TRG adjustable links, I'm very happy with them.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:32 PM
X51
Rennlist Member

Took my buddy with the 993 for a ride tonight. He couldn't believe it. We pulled one of the front wheels and took a look at the drop link and bar. He agreed with the comments about the bar being too tight on middle, so we're going to try that on the softest setting first and then move to the drop link if we get no improvement with softening the bar.

peavynation - thanks for the contact at Tarett. I may be headed that direction if I get no relief after changing the bar setting. Everything else looked good upon inspection - front and rear.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PRELOAD!.... I'll bet the issue is preload on your front sway bars caused by the OEM drop links. With the GT3 sway bars you should be using adjustable drop links like TRG's or Tarret's. The stock links are probably too short and therefore preloaded. They should be initially installed and adjusted on an alignment rack. You could test your self by jacking up the front end equally on both sides and unbolting one side from the sway bar. It should pull out easily and have adequate length to go back into any of the 5 holes. If you have to lift or manipulate the sway bar, you're installing preload. You should also set the bar on full soft up front to start......
The stock links are in fact too long. I'm not sure how the indy modified them to make them fit, but they shouldn't work at all, unless the sway bar was installed upside down. If that's the case you've eliminated a bunch of suspension travel which would cause the issue.

I doubt it's preload. It's really hard to get swaybar pre-load with an unadjustable link.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:50 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by X51
The shocks are on the right corners, but the drop links can certainly be investigated. As indicated in my prior post, they were machined from the stock ones to fit the GT3 bar. The indy didn't seem to think that should be any problem at all, but it's worth me checking out further.

I will report back after I'm able to get it in and looked at. Any other ideas are welcomed. Thanks for the ideas and feedback - much appreciated.
Post a picture of the lower front suspension.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
RamVA
Racer

Originally Posted by X51
Took my buddy with the 993 for a ride tonight. He couldn't believe it. We pulled one of the front wheels and took a look at the drop link and bar. He agreed with the comments about the bar being too tight on middle, so we're going to try that on the softest setting first and then move to the drop link if we get no improvement with softening the bar.

peavynation - thanks for the contact at Tarett. I may be headed that direction if I get no relief after changing the bar setting. Everything else looked good upon inspection - front and rear.
Unhook the sway altogether, and ziptie it and the droplink out of the way. If it makes a differene you'll know in 200 yards.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by X51
Could you pull the drop link out of that middle hole easily? That will tell you about preload. I also agree with RamVA that you could undo the front bar altogether and drive it 200 yds. Good suggestion....
Old 11-03-2009, 01:49 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
I can't be 100% sure that one of the bars isn't upside down, but based upon being underneath it and checking it out, they look like they fit properly (same fit as stock bars before). The indy has done a lot of these, but obviously mistakes happen. Drop links are stock C2 996, but machined to fit the GT3 front bar. What problems would that cause? Wouldn't the "bouncing" still be related to the shocks / springs?
The stock links WILL work with HR bar, but NOT with the GT3 bar. For the GT3 bar you really need the upgraded tarret collar or you can mount the drop link to the pinch bolt with the "old school" short link.

I appreciate all the input. Also, can someone tell me how to post pics to a thread? Every time I try it it says my file upload failed.
Click the paper clip, and a new window pops up. Browse to find your picture and click upload. But, make sure you are in the right size limits.

If you can't get it to work, email me pics and I will post them for you. My email is in your PM box.

-td
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
or maybe the springs are backwards (Rear springs in the front and vice versa).
+1
Thats what I was thinking.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:17 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by himself
The stock links WILL work with HR bar, but NOT with the GT3 bar. For the GT3 bar you really need the upgraded tarret collar or you can mount the drop link to the pinch bolt with the "old school" short link.
-td
Here's a pic of what he's (himself?) describing above. This is similar to what the 996 cups come with. It's a shock collar to accomodate longer drop links which allow the steering rack to turn without stressing the drop links.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS10s - q's