996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:22 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's one that hasn't come up yet.

The oil filler pipe can be unclipped from the airbox. There's a bellows section in the pipe which then let's you tilt the pipe up a good 6 inches to make adding oil a no-mess breeze.

Used this today when I did my oil change.
The following 2 users liked this post by jasper:
9!!_VA (06-13-2021), janikphoto (04-04-2020)
Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

The little led that is in the middle of the dash right under the windshield lights up red in conjuction with the led on the key remote to let you know it is working.

PCM 2 has a lot of out-there features such as a setting for calibrating the trip computer for each time you get new tires.

It also can detect CD names / track names for most CDs, even if they are a mix cd made by the user. For CDs that don't have readable track data, you can enter the name of the cd in PCM 2 so that it will show up in the CD list for the CD changer.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

there is a coin holder in the rear center compartment.... yeah, a coin holder.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
there is a coin holder in the rear center compartment.... yeah, a coin holder.
Funny, I JUST found this out when reading a parts diagram on the center console! Those little fins are coin holders!? Go figure!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by ivangene
(1) If you fill the tank with the engine running the gas guage will not show full until you drive about 10 miles (or shut the car off, remove the key and turn it back on)
Why the hell would you fill the tank with the engine running?? Am I the only one who finds this odd?!

Lol.
The following 3 users liked this post by 911_993_997:
2005 996 C4S (01-15-2020), janikphoto (04-04-2020), Maj. Mat Mason (09-23-2021)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 AM
frankfast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anything that has to be reset after removing a dead battery from the car?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:44 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frankfast
Is there anything that has to be reset after removing a dead battery from the car?
need to input the radio/nav code... thats it. The ecu will adapt to your driving habits...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

what I learned looking for tranny oil for my 2002 996 tip:

The tip-S is is made by Mercedes Benz and is also used in many MB cars, as well as some Dodges and Chryslers. The transmission is called "722.6". It is considered "bullet proof" mechanically and mostly suffers from electronic issues rather then mechanical. Some 722.6's have a bolt on the torque converter to allow draining the oil - the 996 version doesnt not. This tranny installed in most MB models has a filler tube in the engine compartment but the dip stick needs to be purchased separately. The 996 version doesnt have a filler tube and gets filled via a fill bolt on the transmission.

the correct fluid for this tranny is the fuchs 3353 labels "Titan" available from Pelican parts. The gasket and filter look identical to the MB spec ones but cost 3x and 7x more respectively for the Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by PasPar2:
9SIX4-C4 (08-15-2019), Mundo (08-31-2021)
Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Although not confirmed myself, I have read that the Tip cars have a direct pulley on the alternator while the manuals have a sprag type pulley.

I remember my Tip alt pulley was solid.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by frankfast
depends on the year of your car...MY 03+ radio code is stored in the DME.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

need to input the radio/nav code... thats it. The ecu will adapt to your driving habits...
"..The ecu will adapt to your driving habits.."

And here I thought Porsche owners were too bright to believe that CRAP..!!

Maybe in the general case.

Even if the ECU does "learn", adapt, to some aspects of your driving habits those will be, MUST, be erased upon each engine stop/start cycle.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Jim Griffin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the 996 Tiptronic S transmission is a MBZ tranny. As for the AWD cars, C4, C4S, Turbo, only the 996 Turbo Tiptronic uses another MBZ tranny (F-1) with different OEM part number and they are not interchangeable due to bolt pattern. If you build an aspirated 996 with more horsepower (ie supercharger) you may risk damage to the Tiptronic Transmission, if you were thinking "the Tiptronic, if it can withstand the bHP from a turbo, then it is okay for a supercharger" idea. Not.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wwest
"..The ecu will adapt to your driving habits.."

And here I thought Porsche owners were too bright to believe that CRAP..!!

Maybe in the general case.

Even if the ECU does "learn", adapt, to some aspects of your driving habits those will be, MUST, be erased upon each engine stop/start cycle.
huh? So, when you put an exhaust or a cai... the ecu wont know the diff between aftermarket or stock? The engine management on these cars are adaptive... just about any modern sports cars have this feature. When you unplug the battery, the mapping goes to default... as you drive... the car learns your driving habits. In other words... it re-maps itself based on trending patterns of the way you drive.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Although not confirmed myself, I have read that the Tip cars have a direct pulley on the alternator while the manuals have a sprag type pulley.

I remember my Tip alt pulley was solid.

Can anyone confirm this?
Yep, Tippy, confirmed. Tip's pulleys are hard connected to the alt shaft, whereas the manuals have a free-wheeling clutch (sprag) type pulley, sort of like the rear cassette of a bicycle. Alt can then freewheel back down to engine speed rather than be sucked down with it.

I'm guessing this is this to decrease drag on the motor, and help keep revs up when shifting???
Old 10-13-2009, 11:56 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

huh? So, when you put an exhaust or a cai... the ecu wont know the diff between aftermarket or stock?

Not immediately, not unless you "tell" it.

The engine management on these cars are adaptive... just about any modern sports cars have this feature. When you unplug the battery, ("telling" it") the mapping goes to default... as you drive... the car learns your driving habits.

No, it learns new engine/sensor/control mapping parameters while you drive, based on how you drive, NOT YOUR driving habits.

In other words... it re-maps itself based on trending patterns of the way you drive.

Once a parameter is "mapped" it will not be re-learned in accordance with ANYONE's driving habits. Excluding driver unique parameters that are ERASED upon each stop/start cycle, MUST be erased.
My statement applies to the systems "learning" "...your driving habits..."

Modify the engine in some manner and the ECU will eventually learn new parameters if/as needed. Or you can disconnect the battery for a period and the ECU will adapt to the "new" parameters more quickly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread