The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Ladies and Gentlemen,
With all due respect for your Constitutional right to free speech, I respectfully request we get this thread back on topic and stay focused. When originally placed as an Admin Sticky, all the general discussion items were removed. The intent of this thread was to be specifically limited to statements about 996 operational trivia that most folks might not have discovered after reading their owners manual. It was not meant to be a discussion thread, nor a questions and answers thread. That is what all the OTHER threads are for on the 996 Forum.

Sorry for the rant. I apoligize to those offended by it. But this is not the General Questions thread on which to pose questions and replies.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
The following users liked this post:
Manny_911 (09-29-2019)
Old 12-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Another thing I accidently found out about the 996 cooling system. If the coolant level drops too much (what too much is I dont know as there was nothing in the header tank when I checked) a red flashing light appears at the 250F mark on the temp gauge. The temp gauge was showing at just over 80F when I noticed it. I was in the process of completly changing or flushing out the old coolant via a long drawn out method of dropping 2 gallons and topping with water until only clear water eventually came from the drain plug. Then I topped off with 3 Gallons of coolant. Job successfully achieved without loosening or collapsing any radiator hoses .
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Another thing I accidently found out about the 996 cooling system. If the coolant level drops too much (what too much is I dont know as there was nothing in the header tank when I checked) a red flashing light appears at the 250F mark on the temp gauge.
Exactly. I found that out on a track day. Hammer through a few long corners and the red light starts flashing. Panic mode as I return to the pits. Check the overflow bottle. Yup, coolant IS low. Top up and no problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For any fellow Canadians out there that have bought US cars with speedometers in MPH, there is a way to get the digital display to change to KPH. Just turn the clock adjustment **** to the left, and hold for a few seconds and it will change your speed read out and well as the odometer readout to KMs.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
Peter 642
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. There is a terminal in the engine bay to jump/charge your battery (see pic below).
2. "A weak battery may be recognized...when the light emitting diode in the key grip no longer flashes..."
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Havana Daydreaming
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True this is because in Europe they see the right illumination as a sign of a fog light. If both illuminated, it could be confused with brake lights.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Havana Daydreaming
AutoX

in Europe the one red illuminated light is known a a fog ight, if both were brightly illuminated, it could be confused with brakes lights
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Ladies and Gentlemen,
With all due respect for your Constitutional right to free speech, I respectfully request we get this thread back on topic and stay focused. When originally placed as an Admin Sticky, all the general discussion items were removed. The intent of this thread was to be specifically limited to statements about 996 operational trivia that most folks might not have discovered after reading their owners manual. It was not meant to be a discussion thread, nor a questions and answers thread. That is what all the OTHER threads are for on the 996 Forum.

Sorry for the rant. I apologize to those offended by it. But this is not the General Questions thread on which to pose questions and replies.

Thank you for your understanding in this matter.
I agree, I will be cleaning this thread up when I have some time.

Thanks!
Marc
The following users liked this post:
TheUnscented (09-19-2021)
Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Jimmy586
Cruisin'

The 996/997 series are subject to condensation on the outside of the winshield due to a rather stupid design flaw that as of yet Porsche will not admit.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 PM
art c.
AutoX

Terminals in the engine bay are handy, but you still have to get the lid open.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM
2K7TTMIA
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

On both my 00 C2 and 03 TT the rear fog light is on the drivers side. It could be so
Drivers behind you know where you are when YOU pull onto a shoulder due to
Heavy fog or rain or snow, etc.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,418 Likes on 777 Posts

The rear fog is only on one side of the car so other drivers know it's your rear fog and not your brake lights.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool Acronyms

Just reposting these so others will easily find them.
Common acronyms used on this forum about your 996:

AOS Air/Oil Separator
CEL Check Engine Light
ECM Electronic Control Module
IMS Intermediate Shaft Bearing
LSD Limited Slip Differential
LWFW Light Weight Flywheel
MAF Mass Air Flow sensor
PPI Pre-Purchase Inspection
PSE Porsche Sport Exhaust
PSM Porsche Stability Management
RMS Rear Main Seal
SAI Secondary Air Injector

PDK (See the 997 Forum)

IIRC - If I recall correctly
TIA - Thanks in advance
WTB - Want to buy

Last edited by Thundertub; 02-19-2012 at 06:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thundertub:
danix (09-03-2020), Sport'smodel (10-24-2021)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by art c.
Terminals in the engine bay are handy, but you still have to get the lid open.
An easy job with the 99 models. They have a mechanical engine and hood release which can be seen as the drivers door is unlocked manually via the ignition key. Electrical releases are not always the 'way to go' when shopping for a car. And for the 99 996 owners. The IMS bearing is the more robust double race type and less prone to failure. Thats statement I read straight from Flat6 Innovations. I hate to mention the dreaded IMS problems but thats something I only just discovered about my 996.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

OK something I accidentally found out with my 99 cabriolet alarm system. I had the roof down in the garage and the car was locked via the one click fob key. I needed to lean over into the back seats of the car to remove the small seat cushion. So incase I might set the alarm off, I clicked the key fob one time and heard the door unlock and saw the red alarm lights go off on the dash. As I was working on the seat, after just one minutes time I heard the door lock and the alarm re set itself. The car key was on a bench in the garage, not in my pocket so I did not catch the fob button accidentally locking the car again. I checked it again and the same thing happened. The next time I checked, I opened the drivers door and closed it. This action must have cancelled out the alarm and it did not re set itself or lock the doors. This time I had to re lock the car with one click on the fob key button. So if I have the roof down, unlock my car, then decide that I don't want to drive off in it, plus I do not open the drivers door, it will relock itself after exactly one minutes time. I dont know if this happens when I have the roof closed or with the hard top in place or what (if anything) the purpose of this posting is lol. Its just another thing that I didnt know about my 996.

Quick Reply: The New Official "Things you didnt know about your 996" thread