996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

997 Engine to 996 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:20 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

This job is requiring new ECU, Cluster and harness rewiring done by Dundon Motorsports. THey are documenting all of the work and will post a thread once it is done. It is costly but not much more then your rebuild depending on what you get the 997 engine for. However, I am also putting in a fully custom exhaust, rebuilding calipers and also putting in all aluminum radiators and some other stuff "while you are in there". I am hoping when done I will have about 400-420 HP. I think even my ABS will be upgraded and I might even get additional nannies in the swap.

Originally Posted by Evil Bunny
Could you post details of how difficult it is, a ball park in relation to the cost and the difference in performance and reliability please.

I am considering a 3.4 to 3.7 rebuild, which will see around 360bhp, cost is circa $19k

Would be interested in the cost & reliability of the 3.8, particularly given the X51 sees 380bhp.

380 in a lightweight 996.1 would be sweet, 300bhp on track is becoming tiresome!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tripleblack has a 997.1 engine in his 996 and he loves it. Maybe he'll chime in here about what it took to make it happen.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

I looked into doing it before I put a 3.4 back into my car. If you google around you can find people who have gone the DIY route on the 997 into the 996.

I’ve corresponded within one guy who did it successfully, and is happy with it. You have to be pretty committed if you want to do it. You need to upgrade significantly more than just the engine

On a 996.1 C2 like my (and the OPs) 2000, we would need the engine, interior wiring harness, DME, and instrument cluster. Then you need to upgrade the fuel system to a returnless setup. He also said you need to change out the ABS to the newer 4 line system, adding a junction block, adding a line, and replacing/upgrading the wheel sensors.

Apparently, there are ways around swapping out the cluster, but it involves pin swapping and other shenanigans not for the faint of heart. If you don’t do one or the other, the climate control won’t work (if I remember correctly).

C4 owners have a leg up since they already have the newer ABS.

At that point, depending upon where you live you may be in an interesting situation with the motor vehicle department since you have an instrument cluster and computer whose vin and mileage don’t match your chassis (or, as in my case, lower than the title would read). Not sure what happens when there is a discrepancy like that. In my state, it needs to be disclosed at the sale, and is flagged by the DMV, and I believe called out on the next owner’s title.

In short, it sounds like a quick route to more displacement and horsepower, but as best I can tell, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

About 10+ years ago, ***** from FVD dropped a 997 engine into a Boxster.

A huge number of issues followed, which prompted ***** to ship the car to Germany to get it sorted out. I drove it afterwards - once - and it was a very nice driver.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:07 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Yes, everything you state is correct...these are all things I am having done. In fact, I am also having the instrument cluster moved forward to match my miles of the old instrument cluster. I was not aware of the VIN though which I will look into. However, I will likely never sell this car since my late friend Bruce Leven (Porsche legend) signed the car and also is the inspiration for me doing this in the first place.

Can't wait to have the car finished!

Originally Posted by cds72911
I looked into doing it before I put a 3.4 back into my car. If you google around you can find people who have gone the DIY route on the 997 into the 996.

I’ve corresponded within one guy who did it successfully, and is happy with it. You have to be pretty committed if you want to do it. You need to upgrade significantly more than just the engine

On a 996.1 C2 like my (and the OPs) 2000, we would need the engine, interior wiring harness, DME, and instrument cluster. Then you need to upgrade the fuel system to a returnless setup. He also said you need to change out the ABS to the newer 4 line system, adding a junction block, adding a line, and replacing/upgrading the wheel sensors.

Apparently, there are ways around swapping out the cluster, but it involves pin swapping and other shenanigans not for the faint of heart. If you don’t do one or the other, the climate control won’t work (if I remember correctly).

C4 owners have a leg up since they already have the newer ABS.

At that point, depending upon where you live you may be in an interesting situation with the motor vehicle department since you have an instrument cluster and computer whose vin and mileage don’t match your chassis (or, as in my case, lower than the title would read). Not sure what happens when there is a discrepancy like that. In my state, it needs to be disclosed at the sale, and is flagged by the DMV, and I believe called out on the next owner’s title.

In short, it sounds like a quick route to more displacement and horsepower, but as best I can tell, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Quick Reply: 997 Engine to 996 Swap