Sponsored by:

Cold Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:15 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

When you post links, please post the actual url. Rennlist now screws with links to certain websites, Tirerack among them.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:18 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh man, that's Fd up. WTF

Fixed
Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I'm a bit of a maverick when it comes to tire pressures on my '99 C2 coupe.

I use the factory lable setting at all times: 36 front, 44 rear. I check them monthly and top them off if they need it. I check them in the morning before I drive the car. I check them monthly and top them off if they need it (note: intentional repeat). I use N-spec tires exclusively, and make certain the build dates match up. I use the same tires for street and track (DE) events. I use the same tire pressures for both.
I have the alignment done every year.
No uneven wear. Ever.
OBC reads over 30MPG on flat sections of highway (Florida, near sea level, 93 octane). At DE's, I run in the Red Run Group (Instructor). When on the track, I don't have any problem keeping up with traffic on street tires, or getting out of the way of Turbo's and race cars, if necessary.
I have the alignment done every year (intentional repeat).
I replace the rear tires about every 16 months (I do about 6 DE's a year) and the fronts every 32 months.

If you drive and maintenance your 996 like a Camry (nee refridgerator-like appliance), you will be disappointed with the results.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
sparks259
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

those are just a starting point for a generic set of tires.
move up/down based on your butt-o-meter.
for trac use i would try to keep hot temps in the 40psi range.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:52 PM
savannah996
Instructor

Location: 996C2,6sp, Fister-d mufflers, K&N CAI, Savannah, GA

Originally Posted by sparks259
just to cloud the issue; on my 2000 996 / sumi tires, i use 1#per 100# of car weight and add 2-4 for the motor. even tire wear so far with at least 3 trac days on them.
sumitomo=fail
Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 PM
savannah996
Instructor

im using kumho exsta xs's at 40 rear 32 front.
if you dont know what pressure to run go by the sticker. regardless of where you drive the car you can always check the tire roll with chalk. this will tell you if your pressure is too low if you rub the chalk off the sidewall and too much pressure will not only not rub off chalk but you will lose traction and get center tread wear. (the latter only noticable over time). there is always a few psi leeway up and down from factory psi.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
tgt40
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car was made in 1999 with 1999 era tires.
Y'know, this lends itself to one of my all time questions. Pressure recommendations from the vehicle or from the tire. Consensus seems to lean towards taking the pressures from the vehicle but damn....the advances in tire technology give me cause to go with the tire......

Having mused all of that now, methinks a bit lower tire pressures may be warranted, with a close look at wear patterns.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by Whitey||C4S
Wow! Guess it's obvious, but I've never thought much about altitude. I tend to drive at 2k - 4k altitude - and I tend to run 1-2psi below recommended, generally... I get even wear except for an aggressive alignment - I tend to get some wear on the outside with some added neg camber.

In essense, I guess I'm actually running 2-4 below recommended, which makes sense that mine equates to. 32-33F and 40-42R

Cool - so, I'd chime in w/ my PS2s that 33/41 is optimal... my $0.02 on the topic.

Regarding using "sidewall pressures" - now that's just crazy.... isn't that max pressure recommended by the mfgr?
Old 09-02-2009, 03:14 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eDoug

Regarding using "sidewall pressures" - now that's just crazy.... isn't that max pressure recommended by the mfgr?
+1 ...furthermore, tyre manufacturers can't recomend pressures...the weight of the car, the tune of the suspension, and the location of the engine are key variables.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried many combinations and settled at 36/38. My current set of rear PS N1's I ran at 36/38 and have over 16k on them. Previous set of rears ran at 36/40 and also got over 16k. At 40cold the rears wore evenly across the tire with the most wear dead center. At 38cold the rears wore most on the inner edge, less on the outer, and the 38 seems a bit more neutra. On ROW 030. Can steer the car with the throttle at AX. -.4/-1.4 camber (mild). Two sets of rears for each set of fronts.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:23 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eDoug
Wow! Guess it's obvious, but I've never thought much about altitude. I tend to drive at 2k - 4k altitude - and I tend to run 1-2psi below recommended, generally... I get even wear except for an aggressive alignment - I tend to get some wear on the outside with some added neg camber.

In essense, I guess I'm actually running 2-4 below recommended, which makes sense that mine equates to. 32-33F and 40-42R

Cool - so, I'd chime in w/ my PS2s that 33/41 is optimal... my $0.02 on the topic.

Unless you are setting your tire pressures at sealevel and then driving to altitude, you are not driving with incorrect pressures. Besides, the adjustment goes the other way. If you set your pressures at 2,000 feet and drive to 4,000 feet then let them cool and check them, the pressures will be too high, not too low. Outside air pressure is less, and thus the air in your tires is relatively at a higher pressure.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

More important than most topics IMO. Move on.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:49 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Gibney
My 2002 Targa was wearing out rear tires in the middle so that they were down to the wear bars at 6-8000 kilometers. Not happy -- it was expensive.

So, I went down to 38 on the rears and now the tires wear evenly over the width of the tread -- am now at 16000 kilometers and not half worn -- same brand and type of tire.

Porsche dealer checked the alignement -- on all 4 wheels and said -- perfect -- not even a fraction of -- all 4 to within 1% of middle of spec.

Where did Porsche get 44 for the rear?

Go figure!!!
How accurate was the gauge you're using? You could have been inadvertently overinflating above 44psi and making the problem even worse.

The short answer to your question, though, is safety and liability. Every tire has a specific pressure for a given load where it offers the best grip. Below this, and it deforms under load, can't effectively press all that tread to the pavement, and grip quickly reduces- in the worst case, you get roll-under. Above this pressure, and it balloons out and grip is lost. Generally speaking, grip is lost quicker at low pressures than high pressures. Wider tires grip better in corners than narrow (it's related to contact patch and slip angle).

Case in point is the Boxster- perfect 50/50 weight distribution, so you'd expect the tires to be identical sizes and pressures, right? Instead, Porsche specced out smaller tires in the front. You might think the front tires would therefore need to be at higher pressure than the rear since the contact patch is smaller, and each square inch is carrying more weight. But not Porsche- they again specced out lower pressure in the front than the back that cause the car to understeer like a FWD! Swapping larger tires in the front and pumping the front pressure up reduces the tendency, and gives the car neutral handling.

With so much weight in the rear of a 996, Porsche had to go to a lot of effort to keep it facing the right way at the edge of traction. So, they specced out tire sizes and tire pressures that maximize rear grip. If you enter a corner with 44psi in your rear tires, the weight transfer towards the outside will compress them flat and give excellent traction. At lower pressures, the tire will deform and give less traction. In fact, this is what Porsche did in the front- while the rear tires are getting excellent traction, the front tires are deforming under load at stock pressures, and break lose before the rear tires under nearly all conditions, giving you nice, safe, boring understeer. If you raise the front tire pressure, you will find your car performs completely differently at the edge of traction and your back end breaks lose more, simply because you're now able to push the car harder with the better front grip.

In short, 44psi = good for car control for the general public, bad for tire wear.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:42 PM
savannah996
Instructor

i actually learned something here about deflection and the need for higher psi at high speed=

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=72
Old 09-05-2009, 02:05 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
How accurate was the gauge you're using? You could have been inadvertently overinflating above 44psi and making the problem even worse.

The short answer to your question, though, is safety and liability. Every tire has a specific pressure for a given load where it offers the best grip. Below this, and it deforms under load, can't effectively press all that tread to the pavement, and grip quickly reduces- in the worst case, you get roll-under. Above this pressure, and it balloons out and grip is lost. Generally speaking, grip is lost quicker at low pressures than high pressures. Wider tires grip better in corners than narrow (it's related to contact patch and slip angle).

Case in point is the Boxster- perfect 50/50 weight distribution, so you'd expect the tires to be identical sizes and pressures, right? Instead, Porsche specced out smaller tires in the front. You might think the front tires would therefore need to be at higher pressure than the rear since the contact patch is smaller, and each square inch is carrying more weight. But not Porsche- they again specced out lower pressure in the front than the back that cause the car to understeer like a FWD! Swapping larger tires in the front and pumping the front pressure up reduces the tendency, and gives the car neutral handling.

With so much weight in the rear of a 996, Porsche had to go to a lot of effort to keep it facing the right way at the edge of traction. So, they specced out tire sizes and tire pressures that maximize rear grip. If you enter a corner with 44psi in your rear tires, the weight transfer towards the outside will compress them flat and give excellent traction. At lower pressures, the tire will deform and give less traction. In fact, this is what Porsche did in the front- while the rear tires are getting excellent traction, the front tires are deforming under load at stock pressures, and break lose before the rear tires under nearly all conditions, giving you nice, safe, boring understeer. If you raise the front tire pressure, you will find your car performs completely differently at the edge of traction and your back end breaks lose more, simply because you're now able to push the car harder with the better front grip.

In short, 44psi = good for car control for the general public, bad for tire wear.
Thanks for this - I've been asking the question for years but never got a straight answer.

One point though..it sounds as though you are saying for AX I should leave the rear pressure at 44 (optimum pressure) but increase the pressure at the front...to 38 or maybe 40. Is that a correct interpretation?

Also - what about adjusting pressures when the tyres have some heat in them? If the outer tyre pressure increases because of the extra loading then should I air down to bring it back to optimum?

Quick Reply: Cold Tire Pressure