Sponsored by:

Replacement Battery Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:55 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Replacement Battery Information

I posted this on the 997 forum but I believe the 996 takes the same battery.

Battery Replacement - Public Service Announcement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've seen a number of threads concerning battery replacement and the confusion regarding which Interstate battery to use.

Well, my 5 year old Moll Porsche OEM battery finally refused to hold a charge last week. As a result I searched and researched for the proper Interstate (my chosen manufacturer) battery. I saw a lot of confusing threads regarding MTP-91, MTP-93, MTP-H7, MTP-H8, etc.

I decided after talking to my local Interstate retailer, Interstate Factory Rep and checking the physical and electrical characteristics to go w/ the Interstate MTP-H7. It's sized perfectly (fits the OEM footprint) and it's CCA is better than my Porsche OEM battery.

It has a 24 month (no cost) replacement and after that an 85 month pro-rated warranty. I didn't compare the weights to the Moll battery but my 'grunt' scale (lifting it out) suggested the Moll was heavier.

Product ID: MTP-H7(Automotive Truck)
Short Description: Interstate - 85 Months
Cold Cranking Amps: 640
Voltage: 12
Termination: A
Pro-rata Warranty: 85
Weight: 46.3
Width: 6.89
Length: 12.4
Height: 7.48

I paid close to $190 but I've been told it can be bought for less.

This is simply public service announcement. I have no interest in Interstate and the accuracy of the specifications are not guaranteed.

I'm just all charged up (pun intended) that I was able to find an 'exact' replacement in size w/ better performance & warranty.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have always had excellent luck with Interstate batteries!
Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$190...I think you paid way too much for a replacement battery.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My interstate was $120 installed just last month.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

$50 for a replacement battery at Auto Zone, Sams, Costco, etc., is the only way to go.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
AP997S
Pro

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
$190...I think you paid way too much for a replacement battery.
Maybe true.

However, I wanted an Interstate battery. When your car is sitting dead in the garage and jump starting is becoming a nasty habit looking around for the least expensive battery wasn't an option.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I got the MTP-93, paid $100 and got 850 CCA. Direct replacement size wise and a bit lighter...not sure why you are suggesting the one you bought is the best replacement?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AP997S
Maybe true.

However, I wanted an Interstate battery. When your car is sitting dead in the garage and jump starting is becoming a nasty habit looking around for the least expensive battery wasn't an option.
Here's the problem. The Interstate battery and the Costco batteries are both made by Johnson Controls. Perhaps the Interstate is built to a better spec, I don't know, but $190 is more than three times what the Costco one costs. My Costco battery has worked fine for more than two years.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Here's the problem. The Interstate battery and the Costco batteries are both made by Johnson Controls. Perhaps the Interstate is built to a better spec, I don't know, but $190 is more than three times what the Costco one costs. My Costco battery has worked fine for more than two years.
+1

There are really only 3 high volume battery manufacturers out there :
Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries.
Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

$190 is absolutely ridiculous. I guess we can consider that a stimulus payment to somebody.

An Optima red top (Optima is also made by Johnson Controls) for my Mazdaspeed6 was only a $139.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the H8 fit? It's better than the H7.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO if you're going to spend that much, I would go with an Optima Red Top gel battery.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by soverystout
+1

Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

$190 is absolutely ridiculous. I guess we can consider that a stimulus payment to somebody.

An Optima red top (Optima is also made by Johnson Controls) for my Mazdaspeed6 was only a $139.
I use an Optima in my 996 - no worries about spillage or venting. You'll need a special mounting plate - can buy from GMG ($$) or make one - couple of posts archived that show the DIY.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
AP997S
Pro

Originally Posted by DCP
Don't have the time to go to Costco and lug a battery home and then have to dispose of it in some fashion. A local Firestone dealer had the H7 in stock and took care of the install and disposal. I was there no longer than 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I got the MTP-93, paid $100 and got 850 CCA. Direct replacement size wise and a bit lighter...not sure why you are suggesting the one you bought is the best replacement?
I'm not suggesting it's the 'best replacement'. I've seen threads regarding Interstate battery type confusion and thought this info might be useful.

Originally Posted by soverystout
+1

The Optima requires a mounting bracket that I believe cost more than the battery. I chose an Interstate battery based on recomendations and the 24 month full replacement warranty.

Originally Posted by medtech
IMO if you're going to spend that much, I would go with an Optima Red Top gel battery.
See previous reply

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I use an Optima in my 996 - no worries about spillage or venting. You'll need a special mounting plate - can buy from GMG ($$) or make one - couple of posts archived that show the DIY.
See previous reply.

I didn't think my Interstate battery info sharing thread would bring out so many replies. Good to see that the the art of interactive communications is not lost on this forum.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to derail the OP too much, but for those who might consider the Optima, it takes drilling 2 holes to mount it. Not hard. And I would not recommend spending extra money on a "custom" mount.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got an Odyssey for the 3. Do I charge this thing the usual way?

Quick Reply: Replacement Battery Information