Sponsored by:

Headlamp Adjustment - DIY??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:52 AM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlamp Adjustment - DIY??

After almost 2 months of ownership, I finally drove my car at night. I noticed that the low beams were pointed a little low and it was a difficult to see in front of me at medium distance. There was not a problem seeing far away with the high beams.

Is this normal with the 996 light pattern or should I have them adjusted? Is this something that I can do, or should I take to my indy?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Assuming you have HID/xenon projector headlamps the beam is so much brighter and tighly focussed vs the old style halogen that there is a requirement that they have a shape "high" coverage cutoff for the beam pattern to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. If you raise the low beams your high beams will nicely illuminate the tree tops down the road.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a simple DIY. In my manual, headlight adjustment instructions are on page 233. Unless you have a really long philips head screwdriver, I find the easiest thing to do is to pop out the entire headlight unit and use a screwdriver to turn the screw. Clockwise on the lower screw raises the beam. You should be able to improve your night time vision (without blinding oncoming cars) to better see a 6' tall figure at a medium distance on the side of the road by turning the height adjustment screw on the passenger side between 1 - 2 full turns.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:59 PM
ryangambrill
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. I have the Xenon headlamps.

Thanks for the advice on how to fix this issue. Sounds like the lights are pointed in the proper direction as per the design. They just do not help med distance visibility at night.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel mine are a little low too... but then again they are so bright that I don't want oncoming traffic to be blinded and hit me!!
Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
I feel mine are a little low too... but then again they are so bright that I don't want oncoming traffic to be blinded and hit me!!
I found I can only raise the driver side lights a little bit without dazzling oncoming cars. The passenger side lights I can raise a bit more so I can see pedestrians, deer, bicyclists and road signs in the dark. After I adjust my lights, I go to a parking lot and have my wife drive my car and I drive her car. Then we go head to head a few times to check if the lights are too bright for oncoming traffic.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
AaronR968
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the Xenon's have an auto leveling system or are you referring to something different (i.e this does not change the adjustment) I thought if you turned the lights on with the key out and then put the key in and turned it to the on position it would level the lights.

(I know I have seen it just not sure if that is what your looking for!)
Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronR968
Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the Xenon's have an auto leveling system or are you referring to something different (i.e this does not change the adjustment) I thought if you turned the lights on with the key out and then put the key in and turned it to the on position it would level the lights.

(I know I have seen it just not sure if that is what your looking for!)
auto leveling yes, but it still has to be adjusted to a reference point.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Technically, they automobile auto-leveling is not, it is load leveling. As the suspension dips or expands, the lights react. I don't know if any car can even have true auto leveling, otherwise, everytime you went up a steep hill, they would point down to the road!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:36 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Technically, they automobile auto-leveling is not, it is load leveling. As the suspension dips or expands, the lights react. I don't know if any car can even have true auto leveling, otherwise, everytime you went up a steep hill, they would point down to the road!
+1
Old 04-05-2017, 01:23 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
It's a simple DIY. In my manual, headlight adjustment instructions are on page 233. Unless you have a really long philips head screwdriver, I find the easiest thing to do is to pop out the entire headlight unit and use a screwdriver to turn the screw. Clockwise on the lower screw raises the beam. You should be able to improve your night time vision (without blinding oncoming cars) to better see a 6' tall figure at a medium distance on the side of the road by turning the height adjustment screw on the passenger side between 1 - 2 full turns.

any idea what the upper screw does?

Quick Reply: Headlamp Adjustment - DIY??