Gas tank problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:10 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank problem

Hello guys!
I am having a problem filling up my gas tank and I was hoping that someone might know what it is.

The last time I tried to fill up my gas tank, it filled up to about half full and then it spilled some gas out - before the pump could stop automatically.
I didn't pay much attention to it then, but today that I tried to fill it up again, it only took about half a gallon and it spilled some gas right back out.
I tried filling it up slowly, but still no success.

I am taking it to my mechanic tomorrow morning, but he says that he doesn't know what it might be.
Has anyone had this problem before or does anybody have a clue what the problem might be and how much a fix would cost?

Thanks!!
George
Old 04-10-2009, 06:32 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check fuse E6.

If that's ok then look for kinked fuel lines preventing one of the non-return flaps in the tank from opening.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

If E6 is ok and no kinked fuel lines, the solenoid operating the flap in the fuel filler neck may be dead/stuck.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by georgiadis
Hello guys!
I am having a problem filling up my gas tank and I was hoping that someone might know what it is.

The last time I tried to fill up my gas tank, it filled up to about half full and then it spilled some gas out - before the pump could stop automatically.
I didn't pay much attention to it then, but today that I tried to fill it up again, it only took about half a gallon and it spilled some gas right back out.
I tried filling it up slowly, but still no success.

I am taking it to my mechanic tomorrow morning, but he says that he doesn't know what it might be.
Has anyone had this problem before or does anybody have a clue what the problem might be and how much a fix would cost?

Thanks!!
George
Could be a stuck purge valve - the fault codes should tell him for sure.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:40 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

Thakn you guys!!
I checked the E6 fuse and it was blown, so I replaced it with a new one.
However as soon as I tried to fill up again, it got blown and the tank didn't fuel.
Also, the CEL is not lit.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

By the way, although probably irrelevant, it might not be after all if there is an electrical problem.
Last week my ipod would charge normally at times, while at other times it would not charge (I believe it is powered by the stereo), although it would play fine.
At this time, it powers fine.
So I thought that the problem might be in the electrics.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:50 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Shorted wiring loom is your problem - I think it's shorting out, and from memory it's around the steering column area

I'll see if I can find the exact info
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

E6 is the same fuse as the cell phone hook up, and it's likely to be the cell phone connector that's shorting to ground taking out the fuse.

First take off the panel (pops off) to the right of the accelerator and tape the end of the cell phone wiring harness that's in there.

It is likely dangling in your lower center dash console area (you can also pull a storage binnacle to access)

Starting in 2003 Porsche put tape on the connector so it would not short out.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:08 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

Thank you!
I also found an old related link: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ease-help.html
However I couldn't really understand either instructions.
How will I identify the cell phone wiring harness?
Could you give me a little more detailed and clear instructions please?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:51 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

I tried to remove the panels around the center console, but I could not get access to any wires.
It is all plastic or carpet and I was afraid to pull the carpet too hard in order not to break or tear anything.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

No problem - here's the side panels being removed:

Then you can grab and pull out the storage cubby bin(s). First do the top one, then the bottom. If you have a tape or CD holder, the process is the same.

You should now be able to reach in and find the cellphone power plug which will be loose and not connected to anything (unless your ipod connection used it...?)

Tape up the open pins on the connector, so they can't short to ground on any piece of the car.

Hopefully that should fix it.

if the fuse still blows, then the wiring from that cellphone power plug has chaffed through somewhere near the airbag control module usually, and you'll need to remove the carpet to check the wiring loom as it traces back through the car towards the fuse box

You do this by grasping the rear edge and pulling outward, away from the center console.

Trace the colored wires, and find where the cable insulation has been broken - tape up and repair as required.

You can see the wiring snaking around the center console frame in this side shot. (Ignore the red circles, that's for complete removal of the console sub chassis)

Let us know how you get on
Old 04-11-2009, 03:29 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

Thank you cdodkin!

I took the car to my mechanic today.
He checked the above connector and he says that it is not short-circuiting there.
He checked the fuel tank valve(s) and he says that a valve actually did go bad and that valve is inside the tank, which itself is sealed and thus a new fuel tank is needed and quoted me app. $2,000 for the tank including labor.

I checked (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...e=29&model=911 Carrera&year=2002&graphicID=6932230&callout=9&catalogid=2&displayCatalog id=0) and I see various valves around the tank, so I am wondering if any one of those is the one that needs to be replaced.

Any advice please?
Thanks again guys!
Old 04-11-2009, 04:03 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find out excatly what the bad valve is called. To my knowledge all the valves are available seperately.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
georgiadis
Advanced

My mechanic doesn't known the exact name of the valve, but he says that it is the valve that prevents fuel from spilling out in the case of a roll-over.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:17 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this at a porsche dealer?

Quick Reply: Gas tank problem