Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Have been doing the research to determine the best seat to put in the back of my 996 CAB for my little one (16mos old). Searching through all the past threads seem to reveal seat names that are discontinued or re-named.

Figured it would be a good idea to post the CURRENT name/model of the seat you are using and the application (forward/rear facing, front/rear seat, etc).

If anybody has any info on a forward facing rear seat for a 996CAB I would be very interested to hear about your thoughts.

The only seat I have used in the CAB until my boy easily outgrew it was the Graco Snugride rear facing seat. It was the best fitting but the problem is that before he was even a year old his feet were no longer resting in the seat and instead he was propping them up in the air on the factory seat back Further, the person in the front seat has to be VERY SHORT or they wont fit since the front seat has to be forward quite a bit to make sure the baby seat fits in the rear.

At that point we decided until he was big enough for a forward facing seat he would no longer ride in the p-car. I just can't deny him that anymore. Every child should be brought up in a p-car
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

For example....this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...a-toddler.html

Todd shows a great pic of his boys in the back of his car with the Britax Parkway as the seat. But it got replaced by the Monarch, and then not sure which.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Britax Roundabout fits in the back of my Coupe, no problem, for my 2 year old daughter.
It fit rear facing when she was younger but works really well forward facing.

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 02-10-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The roundabout is a convertible correct? Did you consider a booster instead?

Thanks for the input Marc!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell, I use a Britax Roundabout with the base removed in my cab and it fits great. I do suggest removing the rear seats for more room and a better fit.

Here is a pic (goto post #10).
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...in-02-cab.html

You can also go to Baby's R Us and they will let you try the display seats in your car to see how they fit (at least they would at the store by me).

My daughter is probably getting close to a booster seat soon, so I will have to look into that next.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

That one looks pretty good but still rather bulky, no? I am going to check with my B'R'Us and see if they will let me try out a few seats. Thanks for the tip
Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've got a 30#/36" tall 24 month old and this thread is at the perfect time to help me find the right carseat for him. We've also got his sister due in June so I'll be interested to see pics of the rear facing seats too!

I'm 6'2". Is it even a possibility that I could have a forward facing toddler seat behind me and still have enough leg room in the driver's seat? If not, his sister may have to wait until she's older to ride in the car...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by red911c2
We've got a 30#/36" tall 24 month old and this thread is at the perfect time to help me find the right carseat for him. We've also got his sister due in June so I'll be interested to see pics of the rear facing seats too!

I'm 6'2". Is it even a possibility that I could have a forward facing toddler seat behind me and still have enough leg room in the driver's seat? If not, his sister may have to wait until she's older to ride in the car...
I'm 6'1" (long legs, short torso) and my seat is practically all the way rested against the rear seat so I would say NO.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM
red911c2
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'm 6'1" (long legs, short torso) and my seat is practically all the way rested against the rear seat so I would say NO.
That's what I was afraid of... Oh well, I'll probably try and put his seat (once I buy one) behind me and see if I can scrunch up a little bit. I already told the wifey that these were great family cars as referenced in a few of the other baby seat threads!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have nothing to add but the Recaro seat looks so cool....
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
That one looks pretty good but still rather bulky, no? I am going to check with my B'R'Us and see if they will let me try out a few seats. Thanks for the tip
No problem, the only thing to keep in mind is that you may need to remove the seat base, and they won't do that. The seat I have is really not too bulky, I think it looks that way as the base is removed and the seat appears "squattier" (at least for a baby seat, I am sure boosters will be better). Also, the angle of the pic probably doesn't help, so I added a few. My daughter was around 1 1/2 y/o in the pic, she is closing on 3 1/2 now and has not been in the seat for a while...

Some general information for those who have not used a baby seat.
1. Remove the rear seats for more room (both seat and backrest).
2. The cab seat back is more "vertical" than a coupe, make sure to maintain the correct angle of the seat with respect to the ground (most seats have a line or level on them).
3. Cabs do not have the seat tethers, coupes do (may not be visible).
4. Pull the seat belt all the way out when installing, it will then ratchet and lock when returning.
5. Chances are (at least with a baby seat) that it will be very tough to put a baby seat behind even an average height driver and still maintain a comfortable driving position. It looks like there is a lot of room once the seat is installed, once a child is added it gets real cramped, real quick. Your passenger will not have a "lot" of room.
6. May want to use a towel under the base, and depending on the seat design, be mindful of the leather interior panels - pressure from the seat may cause indentations or worse.
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
3. Cabs do not have the seat tethers, coupes do (may not be visible).
I can't see how it is safe to have a forward facing seat without the rear tether.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:01 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salayc
I can't see how it is safe to have a forward facing seat without the rear tether.
The tether is used to keep the seat from moving around, and would be required if using a latch system, otherwise the child seat would just fall forward because the only pivot point would be on the bottom. When using the seat belt (lap and shoulder) to anchor the child seat in place, it is more than firm enough. Actually, the seat in my car is more secure, and has less movement, than my minivan.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

0-20lb use the Graco Snugride rear facing - my 4 month old is using ours.

http://www.amazon.com/Graco-SnugRide.../dp/B0007TJVQ8

20 to 80lbs the Recaro seat that I use is still available

http://www.recarochildseats.com/sportChildSeats.asp

This is an excellent seat and I highly recommend it. My 3.5yr old is still using his.

For >30lbs I also have the Britax Parkway, but that is now discontinued and harder to find. I love this seat, as it is compact and easily fits behind the dirvers seat (unlike the recaro. This allows me to have the Graco rear facing seat behind the passenger seat and the Britax behind the driver seat.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by salayc
As has been stated, the tether is for use with the latch system. If you use the seat belt method you are more than fine.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.