Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:40 AM
steepsnow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my 1999 C4 Coupe:

Britax Companion fit great for 1yr (rear facing).
Britax Roundabout (rear facing) so far (baby just over) a year.

Wife is 5'2" and fits in front with both car seats. At 6', I do not fit well in the passenger seat with either baby seat behind me. I guess I "have" to drive.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just realized I never posted my update with what I chose.

I went with the Britax Roudabout in a matching color to the car. Ordered through Amazon and it was on sale with free shipping as well. This is really the only seat that fits well and properly. I tried several others that would work height and width-wise but their bases were permanent and wouldn't fit in the recess to ensure a stable fit.

To install you have to REMOVE the base of the seat for the install. As well you need to remove your rear seat (base and back).

My little boy fits very comfortable with my wife driving but with me it's a little tight for both me and the little one. We chose the drivers side since in November we will have the rear facing on the other side for the newborn.
Attached Images     
Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Dell, nice looking boy!

It's a good thing he looks like his mother!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

You got that right!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone thought about a footrest? My son's feet just dangle a few inches off the floor. Can't be too comfortable.

I was thinking about putting a box on the floor or something.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by RallyJon
Anyone thought about a footrest? My son's feet just dangle a few inches off the floor. Can't be too comfortable.

I was thinking about putting a box on the floor or something.
I let my kid's feet hang, but I do have a cover that protects the back of the seats from kicking and scuffing.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:00 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
As has been stated, the tether is for use with the latch system. If you use the seat belt method you are more than fine.
This is inaccurate I’m afraid. Britax's Versa-Tether® is designed and recommended for use with both LATCH and lap-shoulder belt installations using the Roundabout. See Britax’s user guide here (page 18).

With a heavier toddler in particular, I would think carefully before installing a fully-harnessed booster seat without a tether.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Rennphile
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC
No problem, the only thing to keep in mind is that you may need to remove the seat base, and they won't do that. The seat I have is really not too bulky, I think it looks that way as the base is removed and the seat appears "squattier" (at least for a baby seat, I am sure boosters will be better). Also, the angle of the pic probably doesn't help, so I added a few. My daughter was around 1 1/2 y/o in the pic, she is closing on 3 1/2 now and has not been in the seat for a while...

Some general information for those who have not used a baby seat.
1. Remove the rear seats for more room (both seat and backrest).
2. The cab seat back is more "vertical" than a coupe, make sure to maintain the correct angle of the seat with respect to the ground (most seats have a line or level on them).
3. Cabs do not have the seat tethers, coupes do (may not be visible).
4. Pull the seat belt all the way out when installing, it will then ratchet and lock when returning.
5. Chances are (at least with a baby seat) that it will be very tough to put a baby seat behind even an average height driver and still maintain a comfortable driving position. It looks like there is a lot of room once the seat is installed, once a child is added it gets real cramped, real quick. Your passenger will not have a "lot" of room.
6. May want to use a towel under the base, and depending on the seat design, be mindful of the leather interior panels - pressure from the seat may cause indentations or worse.
Very cute girl!

Just a couple of thoughts on the harness:

1. The chest clip should be at the middle of the chest, level with the armpit. It appears to be very low in these pictures.

2. It also appears to be rather loose. Having limbs in between the belt and the torso is less than ideal.

Just my $.02.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rennphile
This is inaccurate I’m afraid. Britax's Versa-Tether® is designed and recommended for use with both LATCH and lap-shoulder belt installations using the Roundabout.

With a heavier toddler in particular, I would think carefully before installing a fully-harnessed booster seat without a tether.
Thanks for posting what I already have. Mine came with a manual.

An no, it's not inaccurate. Britax recommends that you use the tether but also states that it is NOT required as many vehicles do not have a tether anchor.

Long story short. If you have an available anchor use it. If you do not, then you are fine as well. It's not black and white in these things.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rennphile
Very cute girl!

Just a couple of thoughts on the harness:

1. The chest clip should be at the middle of the chest, level with the armpit. It appears to be very low in these pictures.

2. It also appears to be rather loose. Having limbs in between the belt and the torso is less than ideal.

Just my $.02.
Just curious, do you have a child?

As far as too loose. I don't see that it is too loose. It is VERY easy to a kid to slide their hands into the straps. But no worries, it's still firm enough they can't get their whole arm contorted to get it fully removed.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks good! I use the same seat, in my Coupe, it fits with the rear seat back in place, I use the tether but it would be fine without. My daughter LOVES the sound of the 996
Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I just looked at my pics and realized my camera blows!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LVDell,

What rear facing seat will you use with your newborn? my 5 year old has been riding with a car seat since she was 2 and fits fine. I had a new baby girl 8 weeks ago.

What type of rear facing seat would fit in my 2002 996 C4S?

Thanks,

Glenn
Old 09-15-2009, 03:51 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Glenn, I just got home. I'll have to run up to my storage and get the model info for you. Give me about an hour and I'll post back. What I can tell you is that the model I got was the only one that would fit properly in the cavity with the seats removed. The downside to the one I chose is that while it fits perfectly, there is a gap between when the baby will outgrow it (weight and age) and when they can go forward facing. So we ended up buying ANOTHER car just so we could have the ability to to have either parent pick him up.

I'll post back the specifics shortly......
Old 09-15-2009, 04:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It's the Graco Snugride and sells for ~$100
LINK

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.