Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Can anyone confirm that the Diono radian rxt will fit in a 996. Any other recommendations would be welcomed. Looking for a seat for my 38 pound 4 year old.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:08 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have a Diono radian rxt in my 2004 C4S which my now 5 year old still uses:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-year-old.html
Old 06-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by pat911ph
I use Safe traffic ride safer travel vest in conjunction with a Costco booster or a bumblebum inflatable booster.

the vest almost acts as a 5 point harness while using the seat belt.
I actually bought a RideSafer and it seems work work well.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I'll have to order one
Old 07-03-2017, 02:25 AM
Rennlist Member

I need some help. I just bought a diono radian rxt. I can't get it tight in my 2002 turbo. I spent more time trying to make it work than I want to admit. It's really loose.

I'm really frustrated. I just bought the car and I sold my Corvette so that my 4 year old daughter and wife could ride with me and it's not working out so well. Any advice?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:52 AM
rogazilla
Racer

I bought this one for my c2 cab. My daughter is also 4. It works with the base seat cushion in and remove the seat back from the car.

https://www.target.com/p/evenflo-174...elect=14419214

I am just waiting for her to get tall enough where I can remove the high back.

If I have to do it again now, I would give this one a try. The narrow base looks like it may fit better if I remove the seat cushion from the car:
https://www.target.com/p/evenflo-174...elect=51965556
Old 07-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 696
I need some help. I just bought a diono radian rxt. I can't get it tight in my 2002 turbo. I spent more time trying to make it work than I want to admit. It's really loose.

I'm really frustrated. I just bought the car and I sold my Corvette so that my 4 year old daughter and wife could ride with me and it's not working out so well. Any advice?
Its not going to be as tight as other cars. Some people put towels or noodles in and around to make it more snug.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the additional info. I'm not comfortable having my daughter in the car if the seat isn't nice and tight. Anyone have experience with the Porsche junior plus in a 996?

The ride safer travel vest looks like a viable option and could be nice while traveling.

Even though the Porsche will only be used for occasional fun drives since I use an F150 for a daily driver, I want her safe for the few hundred miles a year she will be in it.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 696
I'm not comfortable having my daughter in the car if the seat isn't nice and tight.
I agree, but there is such a thing as too tight: usually with respect to the straps that hold your little one in place, rather than the seat itself.

As long as the seat doesn't move around and is generally snug, not loose, I don't think the seat has to be so tight that it doesn't move at all. Even in my SUVs and other cars with different seats, none of the 5 total seats I've used in 4 different cars are all so snug that they don't move a little here and there.

It's too bad there aren't more standards in place so that child seats can actually mate up with a standard type of rear car seat, such as by removing the actual car leather or fabric cushion to leave behind a template where any car seat could actually mate perfectly to. That sort of design might result in a completely snug fit. The other option would be for cars to start actually making five or six point harnesses for all passengers, not just children.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 696
Thanks for the additional info. I'm not comfortable having my daughter in the car if the seat isn't nice and tight. Anyone have experience with the Porsche junior plus in a 996?

The ride safer travel vest looks like a viable option and could be nice while traveling.

Even though the Porsche will only be used for occasional fun drives since I use an F150 for a daily driver, I want her safe for the few hundred miles a year she will be in it.
I could not find the older Porsche junior seat. The new one will also be a bit loose. I would try the aforementioned vest and booster if your kid is big enough. I purchased the Maxi Cosi Rubi, which is snug, but only generally available from Europe - so hefty shipping + long lead time. Also, it's a bigger seat, passengers over 6 ft may find it snug even with the front seat pushed all the way back. Forget trying to fit a front passenger and kid in the car with this seat.

Do you have a cab? Doesn't rear latch make it snug?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:58 PM
Rennlist Member

@mrjonger - it's a coupe.

I ordered the safety vest for now. If I find anything better then I'll do that. I like the idea of a 4 or 5 point harness better than a 3 point like many boosters have. She technically could do a booster now, but I'm not comfortable with that yet.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:17 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by 696
@mrjonger - it's a coupe.

I ordered the safety vest for now. If I find anything better then I'll do that. I like the idea of a 4 or 5 point harness better than a 3 point like many boosters have. She technically could do a booster now, but I'm not comfortable with that yet.
I meant safey vest used in combination with a booster. I was contemplating purchasing foam and shaping it to make the seat fit snugly (the maxi cosi is just too big). I'd do it, but I'm not sure if I keeping the car at this point.

http://www.foambymail.com/do-it-your...-cushions.html
Old 07-08-2017, 10:49 AM
MuffinMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 696

I have a Radian (non RXT) in my 2005 997 coupe. It was a bit of work to get it to fit tightly, but it's very secure. I removed the bottom and back seat cushions, replaced the stock seatbelt anchor points (on either side of where your hips would be) with eye hooks (as used for racing harnesses), and ran the belt through the front belt guide. Since the anchor points in the car are so far forward, the rear belt guide on the seat is the wrong (relative) position and won't get it tight. I also put a piece of dense foam between the bottom of the seat and the car to ensure a solid fit. The last trick is I couldn't use the stock Diono latch belt because the anchor point (at the end of belt) was too small to fit over the large eye bolt. To overcome this, I grabbed another latch belt I wasn't using from an unused Graco seat. Last, I mounted the rear latch of the Radian (on the back of the upper part of the seat) to the factory mounting location on the rear deck.

It took some doing, but it's a very solid fit. I've heard others have successfully used the newer Britax seats with the clicktight system, where you use the factory seatbelts.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:08 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

I just put two Cosco Scenera NEXT seats into my 996, and they are a super fit. Highly recommended.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:39 AM
safetravel4kids
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Something appears to have changed with the RideSafer product. My guess is that it didn't take off or do well, and Joe the newer products aren't as good (based on some reviews).

I think the product is a great idea, especially compared to a regular seatbelt, but compared to a child safety seat, it doesn't seem to pass muster.
The RideSafer Car Seat is certified crash tested and exceeds the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 213 for Child Restraint Systems. It is tested and compared with all other child safety restraints. In most of the crash test categories, it has 40%+ less acceleration readings than the allowable crash test requirements to be certified.

Feel free to ask further questions about the RideSafer and we are happy to answer them as we are a licensed retailer and a Porsche owner.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.