996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Blinder Laser 'Diffuser' Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SWEEEEEEET picts and writeup! I love it. Now I want a rear mounted transmitter too, even though I haven't even installed my front 2 units yet!

You've got me excited again to do it.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And from the front.

Nice install but the left & right modules appear to be recessed to far.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FLY996
Nice install but the left & right modules appear to be recessed to far.

I actually measured and asked the manufacturer. They think it's fine - since they work line-of-sight and have a clear view down the road. From 100 feet in front of the car there shouldn't issue.

Once we get some real-world results, I'll let you know.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Van
I actually measured and asked the manufacturer. They think it's fine - since they work line-of-sight and have a clear view down the road. From 100 feet in front of the car there shouldn't issue.

Once we get some real-world results, I'll let you know.
The problem may be a shot from an overpass...
Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
peavynation
Pro

The problem may be a shot from an overpass...
But since the transmitters have to be level with the car (not angled up or down), would pushing them forward really make that much of a difference? I'm guessing the transmitter's dispersion angle would determine how effective it would be at blinding guns on an overpass regardless of them being a bit shrouded or not.

But good point. I never thought of the overpass situation.

Complete solution is to have $3k worth of these things facing forward, angled up, pointed off to the sides a bit front and back, and pointed straight back.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peavynation
But since the transmitters have to be level with the car (not angled up or down), would pushing them forward really make that much of a difference? I'm guessing the transmitter's dispersion angle would determine how effective it would be at blinding guns on an overpass regardless of them being a bit shrouded or not.

But good point. I never thought of the overpass situation.

Complete solution is to have $3k worth of these things facing forward, angled up, pointed off to the sides a bit front and back, and pointed straight back.
The preferred method of installation has the face of the module completely unobstructed (as is the center module). These are also lower than optimum. Will be interesting to see results of an angle shot to the headlight which is a primary target.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
peavynation
Pro

Yeah I hear what you're saying now.

Pcars don't have many options for mounting the transmitters other than in that lower grill opening. You thinking of a different place to mount? Maybe install the GT3 intake vent at the front lip of the trunk (hood) lid and stick them in there facing outward. Not much space for that though, and the surface there is at a steep angle; you'd probably see the transmitters sticking out.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

The preferred method of installation has the face of the module completely unobstructed (as is the center module). These are also lower than optimum. Will be interesting to see results of an angle shot to the headlight which is a primary target.
Alright, who is gonna start manufacturing headlights in china with the laser jammer heads built into them?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Does anyone in the NY/CT area have any connection in law enforcement? Let's do some tests!
Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peavynation
Yeah I hear what you're saying now.

Pcars don't have many options for mounting the transmitters other than in that lower grill opening. You thinking of a different place to mount? Maybe install the GT3 intake vent at the front lip of the trunk (hood) lid and stick them in there facing outward. Not much space for that though, and the surface there is at a steep angle; you'd probably see the transmitters sticking out.
Upper left/right ducts on the Turbo bumper could be a nice option...just sayin...

Last edited by FLY996; 01-12-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

That is where mine are.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:46 PM
wishdiver
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great write up! I am almost done installing mine right now. Instead of going under the car for the rear sensor I found through doing research that there is a grommet in the back of the car allowing an easier way to get into the main cabin.

Just search for rear backup camera installs and you will find a easy shortcut for those of us without a lift.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:57 PM
turbosjedi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the reviews of the laser (LIDAR) jammers and went with the Laser Elite. It was one of the few jammers out there that advertised complete jam to gun (JTG.) I purchased the three head model for my 05 Turbo "S" Mounted two head units in the front grill, and the third one directly over the license plate. The system is fire and forget, as you ramp up the sensitivity to maximum, and you are damn near invisible. LIDAR operates on a very small 904/5 nm wavelength. Effective jammers take the officers light signal, and bounce it back to him in a manner that overpowers his initial burst. Some LIDAR guns will read nothing, and some of the newer guns will read "ER4" with tells the officer the signal is being jammed. I personally tested my unit against a LIDAR ULTRAlyte gun, which is the favored weapon of choice here in Boise. I did four passes against the gun, and at almost 1000 meters the jammer activated (almost within a millisecond of the Valentine V1) and jammed the signal to the gun, period. No display of either distance or speed. Moved to a parking lot. Laser point directly at the car, aimed right at the headlight, and the unit jammed the gun to 3 1/2 feet from the officer. These things work. I'll grab some pics of the elite install. No easy task putting it in on a modern 911 though.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

I think they are illegal in Texas which sucks. Probably some other states also but not sure.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:16 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I have a K40 diffuser (front and back) that has the LEDs embedded in my rearview mirror. I'm not sure where the audio alarm is hidden. This set up came with my car and I haven't found a way to turn it off. Essentially, it works as an Infiniti detector. Apparently Infiniti's come with some kind of laser system that triggers my alarm. Very annoying.

Quick Reply: Blinder Laser 'Diffuser' Install