Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you had to replace your 996 Engine?
Yes
26.92%
No
73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Have you had to replace your 996 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM
eDoug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
And, if the statistics of this kind of poll are as "accurate" as the proponents say it is, well, we already have the answer.

-td
You're misquoting me - if indeed you were meaning to quote me... I said we'd achieve "steady state" on the poll - thus achieving accurate results from a biased sample of respondents - so accurate, biased results. But this poll is far from "statistically useless" as you claim.

As for older polls - I'm not suggesting that this is necessarily a worthwhile exercise, merely giving some opinions on the validity of the exercise.

So - the future question to the audience is - who wants to start estimating the bias? That's about all we can achieve at this point... I'd say there's 10 times the "yes/replaced" responses for every "no" vote. Hell - I dunno, I'm just killing time, but interested nevertheless...

Last edited by eDoug; 10-17-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
I used 0w-40 this year (happy with it, but dont like the low oil pressure it produce), next year Im gonna go with 15w-50 and try it out (just to get a bit more oil pressure)... I hope she wont blow because of it.
Redridge, I would use 15W-50 anyways because of the Vortech. That is what they recommended back about 10-12 years ago for the blower's transmission.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't have to replace the engine, but my 2004 40th Anniversary blew the intermediate shaft. It likely would have been a replacement engine issue, but I was literally at the dealer's when it blew and only had to drive it a couple of blocks at low speed to get to the service bay. The car was at idle when it let go. If I had been on the road instead it surely would have been a replacement.

As I have suggested before go to another marque's site, like BMW or Corvette an do a search there for "engine replacement, failure, blown etc." . Nothing like the volume of such with Porsche. Also remember there are alot more BMWs and Corvettes on the road than Porsche.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:41 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bronston
As I have suggested before go to another marque's site, like BMW or Corvette an do a search there for "engine replacement, failure, blown etc." . Nothing like the volume of such with Porsche. Also remember there are alot more BMWs and Corvettes on the road than Porsche.
I don't know how you can say this. I've done a search on engine problems on bimmerforums and there are many issues that they deal with. They key is that you have to know the car well enough to know what to type into the search. With Porsche, RMS brings up a ton of searches, but that's really not an engine failure unless you run the car without oil as a result of not taking care of the seal.

The problem with forums is that this is where people come to search for problems. Porsche drivers, being enthusiasts and generally considered to be more **** compared to the average driver, will more diligently hunt down a solution to a problem.

Quick Reply: Have you had to replace your 996 engine?