Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

997S headers on a 3.4 996?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure JRG or my dynos would be helpful as both have a few other changes to the cars as well. I actually think our dynos would be misleading to those that don't really understand how our cars are prepped. Don't you think John ?

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Any chance you have the dyno to look at? I guess most of us wonder about the change across the band. Since you're only interested at north of 4500rpm this wasn't much of an issue for you. For the daily drivers among us I'm sure we'd love to see it.

-Shawn
Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I'm not sure JRG or my dynos would be helpful as both have a few other changes to the cars as well. I actually think our dynos would be misleading to those that don't really understand how our cars are prepped. Don't you think John ?
I'd be happy to post them though as Viking states, I'm not sure they're relevant to street applications. My dyno sheets are in my triailer which is stored. I'll try to get by there today but CJ's pitching this afternoon so it may be Saturday....
Old 10-15-2010, 05:07 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by juankimalo
The 996 C4S has the same engine as 996 Carrera, Targa, Carrera 4, and Cabriolet versions of MK2 series

3.6 l. = 320 HP

There is no 996 Carrera S version

Mk1 series = 3.4 l. = 300 HP
I typed "regular" 996= should have typed Mk1.

So you are saying that 996 C4 is = 996 C4S? Really?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I think you need the X51 headers. I remember seeing pictures of the stock 997 headers and they did not even look as nice as the stock 996 headers. Not sure if the S headers are different or just the X51. There is a thread out there on one of the boards with pics of them. Time to start searching I guess.

The issue with most headers is that you trade some additional HP at the upper rev range for a loss of power in the lower range. I love to rev mine up, but frankly I spend a lot more time below 4,000 rpm than above 5,000. One of the reasons I have not done headers.
Interesting. There is a local Porsche tuner in town here who tells me that installing headers like FabSpeed or others will actually inprove my low-end torque and performance at lower RPM vs. higher RPM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

They will improve his profit margins more than it will improve your low end torque.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Interesting. There is a local Porsche tuner in town here who tells me that installing headers like FabSpeed or others will actually inprove my low-end torque and performance at lower RPM vs. higher RPM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

To be a little more specific on why the dynos are bad comparisons in this scenario. No AC compressor, underdrive pulley, different airbox, different ECU flash, high octane race gas,light weight flywheel, different wheel/tire size, different exhaust, and I am sure there is more. I'm also sure JR has similiar changes to his car so it's not really an apples to apples comparison for a street car.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I'd be happy to post them though as Viking states, I'm not sure they're relevant to street applications. My dyno sheets are in my triailer which is stored. I'll try to get by there today but CJ's pitching this afternoon so it may be Saturday....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:18 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

To be a little more specific on why the dynos are bad comparisons in this scenario. No AC compressor, underdrive pulley, different airbox, different ECU flash, high octane race gas,light weight flywheel, different wheel/tire size, different exhaust, and I am sure there is more. I'm also sure JR has similiar changes to his car so it's not really an apples to apples comparison for a street car.
Hey I still use the stock air box with a BMC filter element....
Old 10-15-2010, 04:22 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Never saw a stock box with orange parts on it .....
I bet the bottom is all sealed up also. If not then seal it up, with the other things you have done it does help a tiny bit.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

And actually ...... I use a stock air box too !
Old 10-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

I don't think we'll be able say a street car will make the same power, but if there's a before and after dyno with the headers or with the headers/flash, I think that would be of interest. It's all a numbers game at the end of the day, but I always prefer some questionably relevant data to no data...

S.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:23 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Quantifing which gains and how much each is worth independent of each would be hard. Many gains are as a package with each improved part helping the other. We improve our exhausts with headers, but also improve our intake, and advance timing beyond what you could do with pump gas so we are getting more air in AND more air out. Just getting more air out won't have the same effect to the hp and the curve. Make sense ? I'm not trying to be an a@# , I just don't like to give people misleading information.
The headers will help, both the 997S and the X51's, how much ? Well that depends on what else you have done to your car. The only true way to tell is to install them and do before and after dynos on your car. Each dyno is different as well, both JR and I dyno'd higher at Miller than in our respected hometowns (his in California, me in Texas). These were the same type of dyno's using corrected numbers with the same smoothing factors. I'm not sure about JR but I have over 300 dyno pulls with THIS car, I know exactly where the power is and how I can change it in either direction.

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
I don't think we'll be able say a street car will make the same power, but if there's a before and after dyno with the headers or with the headers/flash, I think that would be of interest. It's all a numbers game at the end of the day, but I always prefer some questionably relevant data to no data...

S.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Never saw a stock box with orange parts on it .....
I bet the bottom is all sealed up also. If not then seal it up, with the other things you have done it does help a tiny bit.
If you seal the bottom, are you trying to get more cool air in from above, versus hot engine air from below? Sealing the bottom doesn't negatively impede the air volume, does it? Why'd they make it that way, then: a drain if it floods?
Old 10-16-2010, 12:33 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
If you seal the bottom, are you trying to get more cool air in from above, versus hot engine air from below? Sealing the bottom doesn't negatively impede the air volume, does it? Why'd they make it that way, then: a drain if it floods?
On some of the 996 airboxes there are a number of holes, some boxes have more than others. I'm not sure of Porsches' original design thought although it would allow water to drain out, and also change the sound of the box. For JR and my more race only purpose cars we could care a less about those issues since our cars don't sit idle in the rain and make quite a bit of sound already. So for our purposes it is better to seal it up and make sure all the air that goes into the air intake gets pushed into the engine.

And yes, the cool air is much better than the hotter air.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

On some of the 996 airboxes there are a number of holes, some boxes have more than others. I'm not sure of Porsches' original design thought although it would allow water to drain out, and also change the sound of the box. For JR and my more race only purpose cars we could care a less about those issues since our cars don't sit idle in the rain and make quite a bit of sound already. So for our purposes it is better to seal it up and make sure all the air that goes into the air intake gets pushed into the engine.

And yes, the cool air is much better than the hotter air.
Hey Viking, I had my air box out today and remembered this thread. I've got a bunch of holes on the bottom, so what do you seal them with?....
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM
jeneric996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a bunch of holes on the bottom, so what do you seal them with?....
No need IMO.

I do too have holes in the bottom of the airbox with my 03 C2. However, during my freeway drive home, the air is still cold. I have the IPD plenum which is made out of aluminum. I was concerned about heat soak but it is always cold to the touch. It is only hot when I park the car after a drive from engine heat in the compartment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997S headers on a 3.4 996?