Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT TO COMPLETELY REPAINT YOUR CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT TO COMPLETELY REPAINT YOUR CAR?

Hi everyone, I'm STILL searching for the "right" 996 for me, but I'm specifically looking for a black car, as I want to have it all blacked out since I like that "evil look," haha. But for some reason I see red, blue, or silver cars going for so much less than the black ones. I was wondering if anyone knows about how much it'd run me to completely repaint a car like this, because if it wouldn't be too much, then I'd just look for a good deal on any color 996 & have it painted matte black. Kind of like the Novitec Rosso Tu Nero version of the F430... I know, I know, I let out the forbidden F-word, but you guys gotta admit, it looks pretty sweet.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Flat black is an interesting look, but right now it's a fad. An fads always fade.

To answer your question the price of full repaints varies by the quality but I would expect to pay $6-10k for a high quality job.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 AM
NOBY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also put plastic matte tape, have seen some done it and it looks very good.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

i have pics of a flat black 996 and it doesn't look that great.
the headights on the 996 do NOT make it look good, especially if it is a pre-facelift car.

also,
you can have your car wrapped in a vynil material to whatever color you want, that way u don't have to strip everything out and u can change the color every year if u wanted to (and had like...2g's a year to spare)
Old 05-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The matte look as shown above is not paint as matte paint degrades quickly in UV sunlight. It is a full body wrap done in matter black vinyl. It cleans easily and looks fantastic.

HOWEVER:

A BIG draw back is the removal. If the glue sets for a long period of time, it may very well pull the paint right off the metal. (Ask me how I know ).

C.

Last edited by Chads996; 05-20-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

+1 on not doing matte paint on a street car. It looks outstanding on a show car but is nearly impossible to maintain and completely impractical for a car that's actually driven and sees real world elements. You can't wax it, can't fix scratches, swirls, marring, dings, scuffs, no polishing, etc, basically you can only wash the matte paint and leave it completely unprotected from the elements allowing them to ruin it in a shorter period of time.

If your car only sees shows and the inside of a trailor for transport to it's next venue then cool....otherwise, go for a wrap if you go for that look.

Andy
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maco is $500 :-)
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roberga
Maco is $500 :-)
They have a $299 special from time to time.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
gillie
Instructor

Is Earl Scheib still in business? If he is you can probably get a paint job for under $200! But, as they say, you get what you pay for.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, I didn't know about all these issues with the matte paintjobs... Well, I guess I'll just keep waiting for the right black 996 to pop up... By the way, does anyone have pics of an ALL BLACK cab? Like wheels completely blacked out & everything? I really love the way the coupes look, much more than the cabs, especially with a nice aerokit & wheels, but then again, I do live in San Diego, so I know I'd almost always have the top down & enjoy the drive more if I had a cab. It's tough to decide between the sleeker look & better performing coupe & the fun cruising cab.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:37 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Thanks, I didn't know about all these issues with the matte paintjobs... Well, I guess I'll just keep waiting for the right black 996 to pop up... By the way, does anyone have pics of an ALL BLACK cab? Like wheels completely blacked out & everything? I really love the way the coupes look, much more than the cabs, especially with a nice aerokit & wheels, but then again, I do live in San Diego, so I know I'd almost always have the top down & enjoy the drive more if I had a cab. It's tough to decide between the sleeker look & better performing coupe & the fun cruising cab.
Sunroof?
Old 05-20-2008, 03:55 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id expect a complete quality repaint to be around 8k...Maybe 10k if it is a color conversion...
Old 05-20-2008, 04:07 PM
chronoguy
Intermediate

Here is a 997 all blacked out. I like it.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Leenseen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Targa solved my dilema... I was in between the two (Cab or Coupe)

Although performance is not as good as the Coupe, I didn't really notice much.

PM me for pics if you want an idea...
Old 05-20-2008, 05:16 PM
cfp43
Advanced

Hey there, here is a pic of a C4S I just got...actually, down in San Diego. I am debating on whether or not to paint the lip on the rims black as well. I have a few more pics posted an another thread as well...good luck in your search...and no, I didnt get it painted or worked on at MAACO...I own a MAACO and while we do good work at a good price, I do not recommend any P cars going to a MAACO.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT TO COMPLETELY REPAINT YOUR CAR?