Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT TO COMPLETELY REPAINT YOUR CAR?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Raphael what's with the bold copy? It's like you are yelling or something.

C.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:04 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leenseen
Black Targa solved my dilema... I was in between the two (Cab or Coupe)

Although performance is not as good as the Coupe, I didn't really notice much.

PM me for pics if you want an idea...
With the Targa, do you actually get the feel you do in a cab, or does it just feel like an extra large sunroof? Also, I know it's a little slower than the coupe because of added weight, but how does performance compare between the Targa & the Cab?

Originally Posted by Chads996
Raphael what's with the bold copy? It's like you are yelling or something.

C.
Nope, not yelling. I don't know, I guess I've always just done everything bold. You're the first to ask me about it though, lol.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Leenseen
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
With the Targa, do you actually get the feel you do in a cab, or does it just feel like an extra large sunroof? Also, I know it's a little slower than the coupe because of added weight, but how does performance compare between the Targa & the Cab?
Probably an extra large sunroof is the best way to describe it!! It doesn't feel the same as a Cab but its a good compromise. Best thing would be to drive all three and see what you like.

The book times are close:
Coupe - 4.9
Cab - 5.0
Targa - 5.1

I was coming off an RX8 so they all felt fast to me!
Old 05-20-2008, 11:04 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kriegsporsche 993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPqo...eature=related

the car look horrible but it is a nice example of the vinyl coating.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:20 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tornik550
Kriegsporsche 993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhPqo...eature=related

the car look horrible but it is a nice example of the vinyl coating.
I don't know, part of me wants that now. (not olive though)
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Blackness
Pro

You should also check out Basalt Black Metallic.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:17 PM
hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Thanks, I didn't know about all these issues with the matte paintjobs... Well, I guess I'll just keep waiting for the right black 996 to pop up... By the way, does anyone have pics of an ALL BLACK cab? Like wheels completely blacked out & everything? I really love the way the coupes look, much more than the cabs, especially with a nice aerokit & wheels, but then again, I do live in San Diego, so I know I'd almost always have the top down & enjoy the drive more if I had a cab. It's tough to decide between the sleeker look & better performing coupe & the fun cruising cab.
Sounds like you want a Targa.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 PM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There really is no real-world performance difference between the coupe and the Targa - you won't notice .1 second. There's a Road & Track article from '02 or '03 that has the Targa's time the same as the coupe's.

If you want to tighten up the suspension, add h&r or pss9 coilovers.

The extra weight in the roof is again something that I doubt all but the most experienced race drivers would notice. So this could be a factor if you track your car, I don't so it's not an issue for me.

While the targa top won't replicate a cab, the experience is more than a large s.roof IMHO. The leading edge of the roof is much smaller than a coupe - with the glass back you almost won't notice it, plus the roof opens to just narrow side rails and well behind your head. Drop the side windows and it provides much more of an open-air experience than with a s.roof, again IMHO - you also won't get the s.roof air rumble you sometimes do.

Because the entire roof is essentially glass, including the rear hatch, it gives you an open-air feeling even with the glass closed that neither the coupe nor cab can replicate. You may have noticed that "Panorama" roofs are an option on some high-end cars ... essentially a targa-type of top.

Just my $.02.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know this is crazy, and I really wanted a Targa, coming from a ragtop, but besides being IMPOSSIBLE to find w/ the options I wanted and low mileage, I just can't get over how they killed the curve where the back of the "C" pillar meets the rear side glass. It's the classic Porsche look, and they could have easily maintained it on the Targa. It's worse on the 997 with the fugly chrome stripe. That pointed side glass just looks so Chevy Monza to me.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:05 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blackness
You should also check out Basalt Black Metallic.
What is the difference between the Basalt Black Metallic & the regular Black? Which is darkest?

Originally Posted by 1 PGH 1
There really is no real-world performance difference between the coupe and the Targa - you won't notice .1 second. There's a Road & Track article from '02 or '03 that has the Targa's time the same as the coupe's.

If you want to tighten up the suspension, add h&r or pss9 coilovers.

The extra weight in the roof is again something that I doubt all but the most experienced race drivers would notice. So this could be a factor if you track your car, I don't so it's not an issue for me.

While the targa top won't replicate a cab, the experience is more than a large s.roof IMHO. The leading edge of the roof is much smaller than a coupe - with the glass back you almost won't notice it, plus the roof opens to just narrow side rails and well behind your head. Drop the side windows and it provides much more of an open-air experience than with a s.roof, again IMHO - you also won't get the s.roof air rumble you sometimes do.

Because the entire roof is essentially glass, including the rear hatch, it gives you an open-air feeling even with the glass closed that neither the coupe nor cab can replicate. You may have noticed that "Panorama" roofs are an option on some high-end cars ... essentially a targa-type of top.

Just my $.02.
Honestly, I think for me it's either Cab or Coupe. The only thing that sets me off about the Cab is that I don't like the look of the soft top, plus it doesn't perform as well... & with the Targa, I agree with perryinva, I'm not too fond of the way the side view of the rear looks, plus it's even a little slower than the Cab. So if I do end up sacrificing looks & performance, I might as well go with the Cab & get the full top down feel of it.

Originally Posted by perryinva
I know this is crazy, and I really wanted a Targa, coming from a ragtop, but besides being IMPOSSIBLE to find w/ the options I wanted and low mileage, I just can't get over how they killed the curve where the back of the "C" pillar meets the rear side glass. It's the classic Porsche look, and they could have easily maintained it on the Targa. It's worse on the 997 with the fugly chrome stripe. That pointed side glass just looks so Chevy Monza to me.
Ya I agree with you on the looks of the Targa... Anyway, since you've owned both the Cab & the Coupe, how does the feel of the cars compare?

...& again, does ANYONE have pics of an ALL BLACKED OUT Cab?? I've never seen one that's just all blacked out, as in no polished lip or anything, just black & evil looking, lol. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

I had my 1977 repainted at Zuffenahusen in 1978 for 5000 DMs.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basalt Black has a metallic flake (looks like graphite), standard Black is darker.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who has an images of a flat black 996 or 997...I have seen F cars with it and it looks very nice!!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

If you are going to paint the enitre car - your looking at 7-9K - I am currently in the market to paint my 04 Targa which is black...
Old 05-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

that's a LOT of money RJMDAD....i honestly think you could probably get a good paintjob in the 4-5G range by a shop who knows what they're doing. though i suspect that depeds on shop rates, where you live, the cost of materials, and how much of the car they are disassembling to do the paintwork.

Quick Reply: HOW EXPENSIVE IS IT TO COMPLETELY REPAINT YOUR CAR?