Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   to aero or not? (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/429057-to-aero-or-not.html)

yasuro 05-08-2008 09:52 AM

to aero or not?

okay, so my car is an 01 c4 arctic silver. it has a taco tail but no other aero parts.

i'm a bit hesitant to get the complete the aero look because i think the chin might turn into a snowplow in michigan winters.

i think i prefer a more sedate look to my car, but regardless here are my options:

1. get an aero kit front and side skirts.
2. sell/trade taco tail for a "plain" tail (hard to find).
3. just get a front air splitter to counteract the "floaty" feeling i get at speed from having just the taco tail.
4. maybe just get a front air splitter and live with just having the taco tail.

what do you guys think? any other options? any folks out there that drive their cars in pretty heavy snow with an aerokit?

UserA 05-08-2008 10:08 AM

Full Aero or nothing is my opinion. The Taco looks misplaced without the other componants.

Ubermensch 05-08-2008 10:08 AM

I've been thinking along the same lines. I'm in Boston and have the same concerns about snow plowing. However, I wouldn't just run the taco without the front. And I wouldn't run the the front and rear without the sides. So I guess my vote is for going for the full meal deal or getting rid of the taco. If you decide to get rid of the taco and are interested in a swap for the plain tail let me know.

Shawn

Chads996 05-08-2008 10:18 AM

NOTE TO ALL: Due to aerodynamic balance, you NEED the front nose with the wing. You can run the nose without the wing, but it is not recommended to run the opposite.

C.

yasuro 05-08-2008 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chads996 (Post 5392129)
NOTE TO ALL: Due to aerodynamic balance, you NEED the front nose with the wing. You can run the nose without the wing, but it is not recommended to run the opposite.

C.

well, that explains the floaty feeling i get at 90+. er, not that i've actually driven over the speed limit. ever. (looks around for LE).:icon107:

deckman 05-08-2008 10:28 AM

Do the full boat. I'm surprised you haven't had a burning desire to fix the floaty feel already. There's a thread on installing a GT3 splitter on the stock bumper somewhere and the people who have done it say it makes a big difference.

My boss owns a Formula Ford race car and when I told him how the steering on my C2 gets floaty above 80-85 he thought that was nuts. He didn't think the aerodynamics of the car should come into play until much higher speeds. Shoot, when we drive our Honda minivan above 80 I can't feel a difference.

manny_g 05-08-2008 10:52 AM

i agree with most here about getting the full aero or not at all. i am not a big fan of the taco wing...i prefer the aero wing that is designed for the cab.

TheSpeedDemon 05-08-2008 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chads996 (Post 5392129)

C.

Yep +1 on this post from Chad.

Rip that wing off or put the entire kit on, specifically the front bumper that goes with the wing or you will be sorry.

discoganya 05-08-2008 11:28 AM

If you are ever parting out the wing and want to sell PM me. I'm in the market for a bumper + wing.

bella1 05-08-2008 11:39 AM

AERO

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by yasuro (Post 5392052)
okay, so my car is an 01 c4 arctic silver. it has a taco tail but no other aero parts.

i'm a bit hesitant to get the complete the aero look because i think the chin might turn into a snowplow in michigan winters.

i think i prefer a more sedate look to my car, but regardless here are my options:

1. get an aero kit front and side skirts.
2. sell/trade taco tail for a "plain" tail (hard to find).
3. just get a front air splitter to counteract the "floaty" feeling i get at speed from having just the taco tail.
4. maybe just get a front air splitter and live with just having the taco tail.

what do you guys think? any other options? any folks out there that drive their cars in pretty heavy snow with an aerokit?

OF COURSE!

Mfletch 05-08-2008 12:16 PM

If you decide on the stock wing, I have one (with all the components) gathering dust in my garage. It is silver. $200 plus shipping.

mundman 05-08-2008 12:21 PM

you need the full kit--porshe say's the car is not stable at high speed with the wing alone

Pugnacious P 05-08-2008 05:08 PM

plus 1 with need to go full aero. I think the tail is by far the ost expensive piece so to finish it off will be less $, not to mention too much downforce in rear at speed= lighter/more dangerous front end.

discoganya 05-08-2008 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mfletch (Post 5392581)
If you decide on the stock wing, I have one (with all the components) gathering dust in my garage. It is silver. $200 plus shipping.

What is a stock wing? I thought Taco was the stock wing on Mk I Aeros.

deckman 05-08-2008 06:18 PM

Stock wing I think is no wing. It is the standard retractable spoiler. He had to do a decklid swap when he got the taco wing.