996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

WTF? Ben Just got banned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I look back at people who have been banned over time, it seems to me that "most" get banned not for "what" they say but rather for "how" they say it.

There are a lot of A-type personalities on a board like this. I think that some people really get wrapped up in certain conversations, and potentially lose perspective. Nothing wrong with a time out to think about your demeanor. A ban is not the end of the world. The person is still alive and free to think and do whatever he or she chooses. They just can't say it at Rennlist, at least for the time being.

Now, when a moderator gives you a hint and you choose not to listen, that is the same as asking for a time out, just like when we were all kids and pushed mommy, daddy or teacher just one step too far . . .
Old 05-07-2008, 05:45 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never been amused or entertained by Ben.

While I guess it's too bad someone can't take warnings seriously and they have to be banned, I certainly can't say I'm sorry he's not here.

He's always arrogant, condescending, and can't stop making inflammatory remarks. Just a punk and he always got under my skin - despite me trying to just take the high road and not respond or get into an argument with him.. it's just a message board afterall - and I shouldn't let some random internet avatar **** me off - but he somehow managed to.

I think the 996 board should rejoice in the glory of Ben's departure. He'll be back though - under a different name and ip address.. but I'm sure he won't be able to keep his identity hidden for long. Won't be long until he'll let slip about some expensive bar he went to while in West Hollywood, or his 5k rims, or one of the other few things he bragged about.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
Personal should be off limits. He and I didn't agree on many things, and on some things we did, but I believe it's incumbent upon us to hold ourselves personally to the standards to which we would hold others.
The difference here is that once one posts on a PUBLIC forum, it's no longer "personal"...so if norms of common public civility & decency are ignored, the consequences are to be expected. The moderators are simply holding everyone to a stated standard of decency. PMs are personal, posts are not.

Certainly a Porsche board ("excellence is expected") shouldn't be a repository for the lowest common denominator, behaviorally or otherwise. We're already forced to deal with this all too often in American society these days...shouldn't Rennlist serve as a respite from the tyranny of the rude?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
mickey6
Instructor

I always believe in showing respect and expect that in return...and oh..don't go about pushing buttons..specially of message board Administrators.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
I've been on Rennlist for several years (I joined before I bought my 993 C4S) and have seen the list go through different phases. The 996 list is going through a phase that is predictable...the cars age, the prices get more affordable, and people can afford entry to the world of Porsche who may not have been able to enter before. That is a good thing!

However, because a wider (and sometimes younger) audience gains admission, you pick up a few immature posters and few bad seeds (anyone remember Joey Carrera?). Most will adapt to the Rennlist culture and become productive members. Some just won't make it and will need to move to boards where they obssess over tires, body kits, street racing, and who "owned" whom on the forum today.
I've gotta agree with this... if you look at other forums here at Rennlist it's the same deal - the more affordable the car, the more like the wild west the discussion becomes. I've noticed the influx of younger members and linked it to the decline in the amount of respect shown for one another.

There are some members that might defend Ben, but in my mind they should not, as they're showing more respect for him than he ever showed for others.

Banning people is never fun. I'm an admin on another Porsche forum and it's never fun to be the bad guy that has to lay down the law. The people on hte receiving end never realize that they brought the action upon themselves and paint you out to be the devil. A mirror is a wonderful tool of reflection.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
..It's sad to see Bruce drop his membership and....
Yea - it's about that - but it is a whole lot more..??? Today - my PMs are somewhat daunting over this episode. And if I take a minute to synthesize them - here is where they are coming from..

We have a lot of folks on Rennlist. The forums have what - about 61,000+ folks - and the e-mail list have about that same number? That doesn't count the "site visitors" who have not registered - they just read/watch - and ask themselves - "Do I dare register?". As I type this - there are over 200 of those folks, on-line - right now...

Most of my day today has been spent apologizing.

Why?

It's simple....

When one of you - a single person - member, user, visitor - I don't care which - feels they can NOT post for fear of being flamed, something is "broken". Do you know how many folks COULD share or WOULD SHARE their enthusiasm for these silly cars but for a few, a handful - didn't tromp all over them?

We are missing a lot of folks. A lot of enthusiasts. They simply had a fear to post as "them" for fear of folks who were "out of control".

And I'll take responsibility for that. It never should have happened - people, anyone, wherever, Porsche owner or not - should never fear to post here. On Rennlist. For the first time. Or the 10,000th time.

This is an enthusiast site. That's all there is. There is no more. But - the day I stop posting - or don't do "what I have to do to ensure" other enthusiasts have the same opportunity to ask questions, post pictures or enjoy the community?

That's the day I take that bus and leave this site as well.

So - if you are reading this - and have not posted, or registered or enjoyed the community to date - I apologize. It is "my fault". In the singular. It's not what I started. It is not what it is to become.

Thanks for reading,

John D.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:04 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

I'm a relative newbie and have nothing to gain from posting this, but that's why John D. gets my respect...leadership & accountability still stand for something fortunately.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
Yea - it's about that - but it is a whole lot more..??? Today - my PMs are somewhat daunting over this episode. And if I take a minute to synthesize them - here is where they are coming from..

We have a lot of folks on Rennlist. The forums have what - about 61,000+ folks - and the e-mail list have about that same number? That doesn't count the "site visitors" who have not registered - they just read/watch - and ask themselves - "Do I dare register?". As I type this - there are over 200 of those folks, on-line - right now...

Most of my day today has been spent apologizing.

Why?

It's simple....

When one of you - a single person - member, user, visitor - I don't care which - feels they can NOT post for fear of being flamed, something is "broken". Do you know how many folks COULD share or WOULD SHARE their enthusiasm for these silly cars but for a few, a handful - didn't tromp all over them?

We are missing a lot of folks. A lot of enthusiasts. They simply had a fear to post as "them" for fear of folks who were "out of control".

And I'll take responsibility for that. It never should have happened - people, anyone, wherever, Porsche owner or not - should never fear to post here. On Rennlist. For the first time. Or the 10,000th time.

This is an enthusiast site. That's all there is. There is no more. But - the day I stop posting - or don't do "what I have to do to ensure" other enthusiasts have the same opportunity to ask questions, post pictures or enjoy the community?

So - if you are reading this - and have not posted, or registered or enjoyed the community to date - I apologize. It is "my fault". In the singular. It's not what I started. It is not what it is to become.

Thanks for reading,

John D.
Very good point.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:29 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by John D.

Thanks for reading,

John D.
Great explanation John. You are a large reason why I like this place.
I am not a moderator, but it personally grates me deeply when long-timers here act like they have special status based upon post count or sign-up date, or even past contributions. You never know who will end up making the place better . . .

Old 05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

I come to rennlist to be entertained and educated, not to be talked down to or otherwise abused. I don't enjoy seeing others jumped on either. I have no problems with a PITA being banned. Remeber a few months back when John D got pissed (rightfully so) and shut down OT? Those were dark days, as we all went into OT withdrawal. I'd rather not go through that again.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I've never found Ben's attitude to be entertaining. He was not amusing, he was offensive as often as he could possibly manage. He was not helpful, he was not nice. He had few redeeming qualities in his time here on Rennlist.

Ben went onto my ignore list within a week of arriving here. I would occasionally check his posts to see if he was calming down and never surprised when I saw no change.

In recent weeks he decided he wanted to get onto a popularlity trick and tried to be nice. Anyone who has to publicly announce that they have "turned over a new leaf" is a jackass. He didn't change, he was just playing nice, as recent posts have shown. I"m glad to have him out of here so that we can clear the air and have Rennlist back to the fun place we've grown used to. I commented a few days ago how I was seeing less of the regulars - that's because we're all getting tired of him and posting less. I know my post rate has gone down a lot in the last month or so and his acidic attitude was part of it.

I hope that the newbies that have joined in the last couple of months will now see that this behavior is not acceptable. Ben was a bad example. John just set a good example by booting him out. Bravo!
+1
Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 202 Posts

yeah, what he said.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Are we talking 'bout OCBen??

What the heck is going on?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Are we talking 'bout OCBen??

What the heck is going on?

Different Ben . . . different Ben . . . although I understand your confusion.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
LowStro9
Instructor

Let's face it.....that dude was a dick to almost everyone about everything. Won't miss him!

Quick Reply: WTF? Ben Just got banned!