996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

BruceP just cancelled his membership

Old 05-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
Then let me explain it in terms you - and everyone - can understand.

I have absolutely no problem with folks disagreeing with a post that anyone posts. To debate at a technical level is fine;

I have absolutely no issue if you do not agree with the post/poster. Welcome to the "real world".

I do - however - have a huge issue if anyone attacks the "poster" (user or member) rather than the post. In my world - there is a huge issue between the two.

If you - or anyone - does not understand the difference - then I can help by giving a "vacation" to anyone that does not understand disagreeing with a post is *very* different than attacking a person.

Have a nice evening - and Bruce, my thanks for your notes, participation and support of Rennlist. I would welcome you back. In that - I know I'm not alone...

John
Since this sounds like some of it was pointed at me please allow me to respond, John.

Let's be clear here in that Bruce has one of the sharpest keyboards on Rennlist. He is as guilty of attacking a poster as anyone else. His hands are no cleaner than anyone else who might have let some words get a little out of control.

I absolutely loved his worldly views and shared disgust/intolerance for discriminatory comments around ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, etc. While I have your attn, I'm absolutely amazed at how much of this goes around in this very forum. I rarely venture outside of this 996 space, btw.

So if Bruce is tired, he's tired. There are others like myself who don't mind the discussions regarding failures and repairs so long as it's centered around a real life testimony. It's certainly much safer than the other stuff I see that absolutely has no place anywhere in this world.

Again, no one is proactively soliciting reports of failure. It's just what happens to be on the minds of people around here. If this site was all about fact-finding or even began to approach the near vicinity of the river to the Heart of Darkness, you'd better bet I ain't renewing my 15 when the bell rings.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Bruce, I'm sorry to see you go. I completely understand your reason. I have never understood why some of these discussions turn into personal attacks. I can't imagine these personal attacks happening in person (rather than from the anonymity of a keyboard)....somebody would get their *** kicked.
These cars are our hobby and passion. Discussing them should be enjoyable, not a source of "gut acid".
Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Since this sounds like some of it was pointed at me please allow me to respond, John.

Let's be clear here .....
......There are others like myself who don't mind the discussions regarding failures and repairs so long as it's centered around a real life testimony. ....
Bull$hit. You say one thing and post another.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=158

So - you wrote a book? Or are you saying - the rules don't apply to you? Or did you post that you have better information - but rather - you don't want to post it? And your "reply" to the discussion in that thread - to quote you so long as it's centered around a real life testimony.

You can not have it both ways.

Your choice - you decide.

Have a wonderful evening.

John D.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:05 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S
I hope he sticks around and I empathize with his feelings. If we're going to discuss engine problems it would be nice to have some substance behind the discussions rather than a ton of speculative crap.
Ray - poor form trying to use this BruceP post to score some cheap shots.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 PM
DanJK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of luck John. Prepare yourself for the vitriol.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by tooloud10
You know, I think it works both ways. Since NOBODY has been able to produce data regarding the rate of engine failure on the 996, neither side appears to have much of a leg to stand on. With that in mind, I don't understand why some people have a problem with talking about it. Don't want to talk about it? Don't join the discussion.
Agreed - and the 'mine's still working, so all is right with the world' comments don't really move anything forward IMHO
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by DanJK
Lots of luck John. Prepare yourself for the vitriol.
After 11 years of doing this site - I can probably say - Yep - but - BTDT

Best to ya'!

John
Old 05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
DanJK
Racer

+1 - cdodkin
Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Bull$hit. You say one thing and post another.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=158

So - you wrote a book? Or are you saying - the rules don't apply to you? Or did you post that you have better information - but rather - you don't want to post it? And your "reply" to the discussion in that thread - to quote you so long as it's centered around a real life testimony.

You can not have it both ways.

Your choice - you decide.

Have a wonderful evening.

John D.
what the hell are you talking about?
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
...and my response to that point is that in the absence of data all discussion is hot air and nothing but opinion. As long as people understand it as such, then all is well.
But...isn't that half the point of a discussion forum? I guess that's the part I don't get. Also, Bruce said "see ya" in a reply to one of my posts, one in which I was definitely disagreeing with him, but I don't think I was attacking him. I hope Bruce, nor anybody else, feels that I was attacking anybody because I truly think the engines are a fair topic. I know that we all have, uh..."strong opinions" on the topic.

This is huge. People should understand that there is a person behind each login and that there is never an excuse for attacking the person. It's fine to attack ideas, but never the person. As I've said before, everyone can have an opinion, but until it's backed up with data the opinion is worth next to nothing and certainly no more than that of any other person.

When it all comes down to basics we're here to enjoy a shared passion and have fun. If you can't be nice, then you shouldn't be here.
Sure, I pretty much agree with all of this. Everyone's opinion is valid, and I don't necessarily mind "sharp" comments towards me as long as they're not attacking me personally. As I said, I would hope that I couldn't be accused of stooping to THAT level.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
John D.
Banned

what the hell are you talking about?
Read my post in the morning - again - for the first time.

Perhaps it will make sense then?

Maybe not.

John

BTW - I'm still LOL at your post:
if you actually read streather's 996 book .....pls. he's gettin worked by me. special contributor? WAHAHAH laughable.
I kind'a know you are "..gettin worked..." - not the other way around....

Have a nice night, OK?

John
Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 PM
ls911
Pro

The thing thing is that we have such a big melting pot of personalities, backgrounds, culture, etc, etc...
You add some passion to the mix and things can get a bit heated at times, lines crossed as well.
I don't believe it can be avoided all the time. Too many people cramped in one Rennlist j/k
I would hope most can forgive, or at the very least forget and move on w/out dropping off this...crazy site.
This holds esp true for Bruce (clearly shown by the show of support) hate to see him go as well.
Maybe it's just that Holiday thing, Lord knows we can all use one at times
Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Ray - poor form trying to use this BruceP post to score some cheap shots.
I think Bruce had some valid points. I'm not allowed to express that opinion? I have been posting on this forum for a long time, but this is the first time I have heard that it's "poor form" to agree with the opinion of another member.

As I stated I empathize with his position and I agree with the points he made in his last post. If you disagree post away.

I'm not sure what your beef is, but I will ask you for a third time to contact me by PM if you want to have a personal discussion.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S
I think Bruce had some valid points. I'm not allowed to express that opinion? I have been posting on this forum for a long time, but this is the first time I have heard that it's "poor form" to agree with the opinion of another member.

As I stated I empathize with his position and I agree with the points he made in his last post. If you disagree post away.

I'm not sure what your beef is, but I will ask you for a third time to contact me by PM if you want to have a personal discussion.
Ray - you have completely taken this the wrong way.

I have trouble with you using this post to refer to the previous discussion as 'a ton of speculative crap'.

Thats a cheap shot IMHO
Old 05-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Read my post in the morning - again - for the first time.

Perhaps it will make sense then?

Maybe not.

John

BTW - I'm still LOL at your post:

I kind'a know you are "..gettin worked..." - not the other way around....

Have a nice night, OK?

John

maybe you need to be told to read streather's book.

and then read oldguy's post. compare and you're going to bow down, kiss my feet and tell me you get it now, i'm sorry ben.

i'm still here and i know you are admin, it's not nite nite time yet. it's time to rock baby boy.

btw y'all are taking all this way too seriously. bruce is reading this thread chuckling and loving the fact that he's getting attn. i'd be the same way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BruceP just cancelled his membership