Sponsored by:

OT: Drive safely out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:17 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Easy to point fingers here but it's very common to spot cars going 50-55mph on this long and generally straight road on four lanes.
I think the speed limit is 35mph or 40mph.

55 in a 40 isn't anything. I'm sure he was going much faster than that.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
55 in a 40 isn't anything. I'm sure he was going much faster than that.
It is something. What hairsplitting point are you trying to argue now?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

C'mon, Ben. Where's the new you? We're not speaking ill of the dead here. I agree, it may have been a mechanical failure, a blown tire, a bad pothole, a deep puddle, avoiding a rabbit,.....who the heck really knows?

Anyway, if it was speeding in a straight 4 lane road, a very common occurrence for me and for a lot of us, you realy have to be going much more than 45-55 mph to lose control in a Boxster in the absence of any other factor.

This is more of a plea, a reminder, to drive safe on the road. We can all die anytime from a bolt of lightning, or from driving too fast on the street.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

palting what does this have to do with new or old ben? wtf does it matter if he was going much faster than above legal limits? no one knows how fast hte dude was going or how he lost control.

but a car heading at 55mph hitting another car head on is going to do a lot of damage so for el torr to come in here and speculate is a wtf statement.

i never said anything about anyone saying anything ill about anyone else. i'm just sharing a local story that hit close to home because i have family who lives on that same road and drives a silver porsche.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a lot of assumptions being made in this thread on very few details.

As others have said any number of things could have caused a loss of control.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:22 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

It is something. What hairsplitting point are you trying to argue now?

I'm not arguing or hairsplitting. I'm just saying 55 in a 40 really isn't anything. He was probably doing 90 or something crazy. If he was going 55 he must have been driving with his eyes closed, because it just isn't fast enough to cause complete loss of control - especially in a boxster. I think I go 15 over the limit every day of my life, and it's not fast enough to be unable to brake, turn, or evade an obstacle in the road.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

that's fine, you'd be a great writer for the Variety
Old 05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

that's fine, you'd be a great writer for the Variety

Uhhh.. thanks (?)
Old 05-05-2008, 06:28 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I know we love our spirited runs and you can't predict what's going to happen, but regardless of how wonderful our cars are to drive fast, try your best to temper the enthusiasm with sound judgement.

Amen!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honesty after years and years of driving Angeles Crest I've finally said no more., I have my reasons:

One of the chief temptations of sportbikes or sportscars on ostensibly deserted roads is to start taking a racing line. If you haven't been there, it's mountain on one side, cliff on the other, one lane in either direction, mile after mile of beautiful esses, but littered with big rocks, patches of ice, bicyclists, etc. On Angeles Crest and other similar mountain roads in the middle of a weekday you have nothing but serious iron, and everyone is driving way too fast, but in both directions. The number of near misses over the years, bikes hanging way out coming at you and cars trying to drift through many of the turns and coming sideways through both lanes, finally was crystallized for me when a friend, an auto journalist from Japan, crashed her personal Exige S a few weeks ago trying to evade an oncoming car. Total loss, inches from tumbling down a cliff. I felt particularly awful because I promised to go up there with her. No more Crest for me.

The reason I write about this is I see it a lot late at night, people taking racing lines or at least severely overrunning center lines. If it wasn't DUI, it might have just been someone doing something unsafe.

NYC is another issue entirely. I've been driving here for 14 years without a crash of my own (was hit and run once while parked though!), but have been in several taxicab crashes, never anyone hurt, and a couple of friend's crashes as a passenger. I feel like the biggest issue is that everyone thinks they can be the crazy guy, the 4 lane cut off guy. When twenty people try to change 3 lanes without signalling simultaneously, one of them will drive right into someone in his blindspot, or some poor schmuck eventually will drive straight into one of the hotshots. Happens a lot. I feel like I have a near miss at least once a week when someone just doesn't see me. Might be a good argument for speed yellow, but then all the cabs are yellow, and that's not working out to well for them. Arena Red still an option?

By the way, that Arena Red got me thinking, saw a nice Aston V8 at a post office in NJ today.

Last edited by htny; 03-07-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we don't know what happened as yet, anything is speculation.

I use that road a lot, in fact on Sunday morning, it's a city street with limits and sometimes with speed traps, isn't straight and the collision looks like it occured where the road not only has a bend but a warning sign to reduce speed.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

HTLA, burgundy is an ugly color. don't do it.

more pics of LA pls with your 911.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

This happened in front of where we keep a boat. This was a city surface road. It was a few yards south of a little right bend in the road. Zero chance he was doing 90.

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
I'm not arguing or hairsplitting. I'm just saying 55 in a 40 really isn't anything. He was probably doing 90 or something crazy. If he was going 55 he must have been driving with his eyes closed, because it just isn't fast enough to cause complete loss of control - especially in a boxster. I think I go 15 over the limit every day of my life, and it's not fast enough to be unable to brake, turn, or evade an obstacle in the road.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:35 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HTLA, burgundy is an ugly color. don't do it.

more pics of LA pls with your 911.
haha you know I won't buy an Aston, and I always bet on black

I don't keep a digital camera with me much anymore, although I can upload a few that I never posted from LA. A few friends owe me some pics as well, maybe next week I can get some aggregated. The new avatar pic there is actually from my Blackberry in front of the River Cafe in Brooklyn. Tried to go to Grimaldi's but th line was epic.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i have all sigs and avatars turned off hehe to keep it cleeeeaaannnnnnn

hova

drove safely to work today in my jeep

Quick Reply: OT: Drive safely out there