Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pat! You're a good friend!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Ray - I'm sure you're a really nice guy - but you come in swinging on the engine blown posts ever time - same line, same tone.

That's the way it comes across whether intentional or not.
Well, that's constructive. I guess one could say the same about you.

However, I'm begining to suspect this has more to do with me correcting you about the Boxster "sleeving" disaster.

You have made a point to call me out in this thread. As I said if you have a specific issue you'd like to discuss please send me a PM. This thread is bad enough already without personal bs thrown in.

I hope you agree.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:26 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Just because I'm lazy, what exactly is downright reasonable these days for a 996 TT? What are the physical diffferences in the core motor that has prevented them from having RMS/IMS issues?
the motors are very different. the base 996 and boxster motors use a steel chassis inside of an aluminum case for the crank. there is no bearing between the case and the crank at either end, only a seal. this can allow some vibration at the seal that can cause oil leakage over time. the intermediate shaft runs the length of the engine and only has bearings at either end. it is chain driven. the engine is basically wet sump and prone to oil starvation on hard corners. the oil can pool in the heads

the turbo / GT3 motor is a whole different animal. the bearing journals are part of the case; no steel chassis inside. there are main bearings at eaither end of the case, just inside the seal, which do a better job of supporting the crank & preventing oil leaks. the intermediate shaft is very short and it drives an internal oil pump. the IS is gear rather than chain drivcen the internal oil pump is fed by a remove reservoir; the motor is true dry sump. this prevents cavitation: oil is always available at the pump's pick-up. there are also two robust oil return pumps in the heads that make sure gravity doesn't pool oil in the heads under high g corner loads.

the tt motor has all cam chains on one side of the motor. the M96 variants use chains on either side of the IS to drive the cam sprockets.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orrin
Look at it this way. If you replace the motor, and other than normal repair/maintance items, you drive it another 80-100,000 miles, you have probably come as close to breaking even as you possibly could. Maybe even make a few bucks. In the meantime, you're driving a Porsche. Any other way I think you'll lose $$. The only other way would be to part it out and that's a lot of work on your end, tearing apart the pieces, posting on e-bay, shipping...
I don't know if I'm right or wrong, but think about it. I'm trying to put myself in your shoes.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

996TT tear down photos here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/162740-day-in-a-life-of-a-996tt-motor-build.html
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge

Here are the facts...
"Lokasil is an acronym for a manufacturing process called "Localised Silicon". This process result in crystals becoming embedded in the cylinder walls (which are BORED) during the casting process."

"They are not lined whith Lokasil because there is no such material"... it is more of a process technique than a physical liner.
Here's an interesting contradiction:

from Porsche document 1001 ENGINE M 96/01:
"the following special features: Four-part, vertically split "open deck" aluminum crancase with LOKASIL cylinder sleeves"

and from AS ATAG (the block supplier for Porsche and inventors of the Lokasil process)
"The patented Lokasil contact surface is a technical highlight of the project: In the aluminum engine block for the Porsche model series Boxster and 911 Carrera, instead of cast-in cylinder liners, contact surfaces made of a special aluminum-silicon composite provide improved application characteristics."

BTW, the block is Die Cast alloy, I don't think it is cast and bored.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:37 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Ben... if you dont want to ease up thats fine, we need people like you. You'd make a good marine! When I say ease up... I mean lets not post some of the crap thats been already posted that should be classified as false. or maybe or we dont know. Rather, lets focus on debunking some of the myths, pass on good information and maybe we can all learn something new, like what cdodkin just did.

As far as IMS or RMS equivlant with other cars.... heh, heh I garauntee you they have their issues, it may not be IMS/RMS, but in other forms. All machines do...facts of life.

just because you have a 40th anniv, doesnt mean the car was built by Porsche Motorsport... its the same stuff that all m96 engines are made of. People think the 3.4 is an absolute grenader and if you have a 3.6... your chances are better. How do they know this w/o seeing #'s.... that only Porsche has... these statements are very misleading, because they are basing these on documents that were produced 5-8 years ago that are based on misinformation... that Streather is trying to make clear...

Also, to those that are in the 1st porsche market... when they come here and see these type of discussion that we have... would you buy a 996? ls911 in post #67 said that if he'd known earlier it might go differently... meaning he might opt for a different car.... yes, lack of sale in a used car market tends to devalue cars.
Agreed! No harm in discussing... as long as its constructive.

I do thank everybody that has been part of my learning curve, the good bad and ugly.
Would not know half the **** on all the great mods one can do to a 996 if it was not for you all.
Not to even mention the struggles I’d have with tech questions or problems were not for same.

Post 67- Might is the key word.
Nothing is stopping me from selling my 13K (original engine) runs like a dream 996 Aero.
I am glad to have SOME info now on what could happen. I know it is not all factual, it does not have to be
Complete "engine failures" is just one of those problems/issues I did not expect to see so much of on any new/low mileage high end cars. Never even gave it a thought.
To say this would have not even been a small red flag prior to purchasing? I might as well have sunk my head in the sand.
I got you on all cars having problems, I've own my fair share, I’m aware of these things including the other tings that can go wrong on a 996
Engine failure is a little different.
None of this means that I'm running around screaming like a bitch they're all gona blow the end is near
It would be stupid of me not take any of this information into consideration towards my next P-car.

Currently I am a very happy owner, I don't sweat this kind of **** at all. As it is for so many others, owning 996 is a dream come true for me too.
I also have a great deal of passion fueling my ownership, but seeing the personal touchy sensitive **** over this is disappointing.

BTW
BS on this causing a big drop in value on the 996's.
It is really not much dif than most other newer high end sports or luxury cars.
Just look at a used MB SL for example. They have experienced greater depreciation rates and I know for a fact you can't find ONE with a so called desirable 2 yr reman warranty
Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

preach, ls preach. the level of sensitivity here is insane. it's like you need to hold a porsche pom pom in one hand and a koolaid in the other to be a cool, liked member here.

if we had facts and documentary about engine failures and the like, don't you guys think we'd have all this established already? it's because we have no facts, we have little information other than personal testimonies that this topic continues to come up and won't stop anytime soon.

i commiserate with those that have had to go thru a failure. that would absolutely leave a bad taste in my mouth and would be think twice about getting another carrera.

thx to members here, i've come to learn about remans and i feel great about my car as it's been a fantastic year of driving for me thus far. i don't want to sell it. in fact, i want to spend a bit more money on it.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:08 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Porsche salesman tell me once that Porsche new car sales pretty much tracked the stock market trends. Don't know if this is true, but I thought I was interesting...
Old 05-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i know that based on numbers from last year, porsche 911 sales are down 30% ytd. someone pls confirm.

i blame rennlist/us.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
......Anyway, it's stupid to be personally attacked on a 996 forum for being pro-996, and even more stupid to waste time and gut acid defending myself. See ya.
Frankly - I would agree...

If anyone would like to know why Bruce canceled his Rennlist Membership - PM me. And as frankly - I'm not so sure he is alone in his sentiments. In fact - I'm not so sure you have to PM me for the answer - the "answer" is sitting right in front of you on the screen if you read this thread..

Ask me how I know....

John D.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
Here's an interesting contradiction:

from Porsche document 1001 ENGINE M 96/01:
"the following special features: Four-part, vertically split "open deck" aluminum crancase with LOKASIL cylinder sleeves"

and from AS ATAG (the block supplier for Porsche and inventors of the Lokasil process)
"The patented Lokasil contact surface is a technical highlight of the project: In the aluminum engine block for the Porsche model series Boxster and 911 Carrera, instead of cast-in cylinder liners, contact surfaces made of a special aluminum-silicon composite provide improved application characteristics."

BTW, the block is Die Cast alloy, I don't think it is cast and bored.
Yeah it's just semantics/marketing/translation loss here. Lokasil is unique, it's definitely not like a regular sleeve type liner. I've seen it called a sleeve, liner, lining, and coating. I personally thought that lining was most appropriate, but it really doesn't matter, the name doesn't change what it is.

There is a cylinder with a silicon based surface structure integrated into the casting, which cannot easily be repaired if cracked, which autofarm and others can repair with a sleeve. It's also not popular, Porsche is the only volume customer. But if you look at the pictures of a block being sleeved you can see where the water jacket meets the cylinder. We shouldn't all be arguing semantics, especially since whether or not it's lined, sleeved, bored, cast in place, the only reason anyone here cares about cylinders really is when they crack. Arguing the exact nature of the factory cylinders is really only germane if someone wants to bore over. Repairing the Lokasil processed cylinders in the se engines can't be achieved with the Lokasil process if it is as described by the manufacturer, which is why people who do spend a lot of time cracking these engines open have resorted to sleeving them. It's not just autofarm who can sleeve this thing (they send it out to someone else anyway), others claim the same capability.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John D.
Frankly - I would agree...

If anyone would like to know why Bruce canceled his Rennlist Membership - PM me. And as frankly - I'm not so sure he is alone in his sentiments. In fact - I'm not so sure you have to PM me for the answer - the "answer" is sitting right in front of you on the screen if you read this thread..

Ask me how I know....

John D.
Thanks for the note John. I empathize with Bruce and agree with the sentiment he expressed in his last post.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:39 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think someone asked something to the effect "what's reasonable for a 996 turbo?". I'm seeing them in the 50's on a regular basis, although that is by no means an exhaustive search...just my normal checking of the various classifieds. If I had to guess I'd assume the drop in value of NA 996's is bleeding over the the turbos, which is good news for a potential buyer but not so good news if you own one. I'm continually amazed at the asking prices for older models like my '88. I'd be pleasantly surprised if these sellers are getting close to asking price.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:40 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ray S
Well, that's constructive. I guess one could say the same about you.

However, I'm begining to suspect this has more to do with me correcting you about the Boxster "sleeving" disaster.

You have made a point to call me out in this thread. As I said if you have a specific issue you'd like to discuss please send me a PM. This thread is bad enough already without personal bs thrown in.

I hope you agree.
I agree entirely - and had completely forgotten about the post on Boxster sleeving until you mentioned it

Only joking - If I was American I'd give you a big hug, but as I'm British, I'll just virtually shake you by the hand and say cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's official, my engine is BLOWN.