Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   99-00 996 VS 2004 S2000 (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/425350-99-00-996-vs-2004-s2000.html)

Pugnacious P 04-22-2008 12:49 AM

s2000 is a classic sporstscar, I bet you wouldn't be disappointed, that said, the carrera is one of the best GT(grand touring) cars in the industry (possibly ever made). End of the day reality: drive them both and buy the one you "must" have.

htny 04-22-2008 01:00 AM

I had some fun in one in LA, they are a blast. Ben gave a lot of good advice, knows his sh*t with these, and while my friend whom I was performing this valuable free research for did not buy it, I think it's a great car, good looking, and very high quality feel. I just couldn't drive one each day in NY or LA, but that is way more traffic than most people have to deal with most places. I think it would be a perfect weekend/track car.

It sounds like you have two race bikes under the hood. I'm sure the run costs are a fraction of the 996, especially if you spend time on forums like this and get to moding and maintaining religiously. However as Ben pointed out when I asked him about his, this is a 120bhp per liter NA motor, it's not going to be totally drama fere. But compared to other motors with anywhere near that specific output it might as well be a microwave in terms of reliability.

I didn't really make too many practical observations, I was ear to ear grin though. Drive one of each. See if you fit, you can't go wrong either way.

HIGHcard 04-22-2008 01:09 AM

the s2000 :jumper: that car was one of my choices as a first car...it was actually on top of my list. i enjoyed the little suckers agility/the sharp looking interior/the roadster aspect/good looks/etc...but i couldnt pull the trigger on it as much as i wanted to simply because i didnt fit :banghead:

...sitting in the drivers seat pushed back to the MAX my legs were pinned under the steering wheel (im 6'2) man i would have if i could have...i agree with the others on going out and test driving the best car for you :thumbup:

HIGHcard 04-22-2008 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi (Post 5336507)

your modding game is TIGHT like a mother f'n tiger son :rockon:

UCrazyKid 04-22-2008 01:41 AM

I've owned 2 S2000s, a 2001 and a 2004 (first one was stolen) for a total of 5 years ownership. If you can fit in it the S2000 is by far and away the best bang for your buck sports car and is track ready. I still miss mine, I had to sell it to get a backseat when we had our baby. I concur with all of Ben's comments. The car is incredibly fun, good looking, well built (built in Japan at the NSX factory), the motor is incredibly reliable and the transmission is second to none. Both cars are very quick but make their power in very different ways. Cost of ownership will be MUCH cheaper for the S2000. Keep in mind that the 996 will cost you a lot more for the same service/tire/repairs than the Honda.
I will PM you with some more comments that I posted for another person weighing the two cars.

Bottom line, get some seat time in both and chose the one you like best.

Andy

mooty 04-22-2008 02:03 AM

i have a s2000, still do.
at your ht, it will be very very tight fit, if you fit at all.
the car is very buzzy, thus many ppl dont like it.
it's very inexpensive to run.
cost next to nothing to maintain.

drive both, the cars are very different. one will grab you more.

spoon23 04-22-2008 06:25 AM

I've owned a s2k before I got my c4 cab. An excellent high revving engine (closest thing to a F1 car for that money!) and great fun to drive but be careful not to lose the back end! Boot room is better but you only have 2 seats in the honda. I'm 6'1" and the driving position was good so I recommend you see if the driving position is ideal for your height. Virtually problem free and servicing is low cost. You can have a blast doing after market performance upgrades to it as it relatively easy and cheap. The top is faster to operate compared to the cab. You'll also enjoy hitting the "START" engine button each time you fire it up!

No regrets owning the s2k and it will be a good choice as an interim car before your p-car purchase.

MechanicalEng 04-22-2008 07:48 AM

I actually have both a 2004 S2000 and a 02 C2... the S is the more agile, the gear box is better.. the 996 has more power, is more comfortable and has the better brakes... in an AutoX the S2000 is faster than a 996, in a larger track the 996 will be faster..

99C2 04-22-2008 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by machu123 (Post 5335738)
Hey guys,

Ive been in the market for a 996 for some time now. I've driven quite a few but no eye catchers as of yet. I love the way the 996 drives and handles.
Recently I came across a 2004 Honda S2000 for $20,000 with 19k miles mint condition. I know this is a porsche forum, and i'm comparing apples to oranges. But i have to say the S2000 looks really nice for 20k I havent driven the S2000 yet, but any of you guys owned or driven a S2000?
I am 6'4 in height, will i have problems with comfortability. In the 996 i am very comfortable.
The 3.6 996's are out of my price range right now, and i really wanted to buy 2002 or up, so i thought i jump into a Honda for the summer and just wait to see if the prices drop for the 2002 996's in a year or so.
Thanks.

machu123:

Gret topic. Just before I got this 99C2 CAB I had the 2004 S2K, awesome Roadster. Key word Roadster! :jumper: (Yes, 2004 and up are best)

The 996 is a Sports Car - Two different animals and designed to meet two different goals from what I can tell.

If price is keeping you away from the 996 you will enjoy the S2K until you can afford the more expensive car. In fact, driving the S2K for a year or so will lead you to apprecieate the 996 that much more.

If I had to downsize I would go back to a Honda anyday. Especially when it comes to cost of ownership and maintenance.

99C2

Benjamin Choi 04-22-2008 11:59 AM

I actually think the interior quality of the S2000 (fit/finish) is much better than that of your standard option 996. There's just something about Honda interiors where the finish and buttons/switchgear and everything is just quality. The Porsche takes it up another level when you start tweaking it out with full leather, painted/CF consoles, hard back seats, etc. Refreshingly, there really are no options on the S2000.

Mechanical summed it up best. It's really best to get feedback from people who have had extensive time in both the 911 and S2000 because each of us will echo each other's comments. The S2000 feels/is a go-kart while the RWD 996 is more of the lightweight GT coupe.

Again, if you can get over the romance of the Porsche brand and the 911 lineage, the S2000 is a killer ride for ya. Great fun, a raucous time. I daily drove one for about 4-5 years, but then this was in my early 20s so... don't know how I did it, but I did it with a sh!t eatin' grin on my face. :D

Money Pit 951 04-22-2008 12:53 PM

They are both great cars. I own a S2000 now and would tell you to make sure you fit. The S2000 is a barebones sports car - almost a go cart. The 911 will feel like a feature equiped car in comparison.
They sell the roll bars for the car, but with your size you might need those extra inches in seat travel that the roll bar would take.
Good luck!

UCrazyKid 04-22-2008 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 99C2 (Post 5337530)
machu123:
the 2004 S2K, awesome Roadster. Key word Roadster! :jumper: (Yes, 2004 and up are best)
The 996 is a Sports Car - Two different animals and designed to meet two different goals from what I can tell.
99C2

I dissagree. The 996 is a GT coupe; big, heavy on luxury features, sloppy suspension . The S2000 is a true open roof sports car: 2-seats, standard LSD, short direct shifting transmission (not cable driven), standard sports seats, remote reservoir shocks (rear), no big heavy radio, etc.

Benjamin Choi 04-22-2008 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid (Post 5338051)
I dissagree. The 996 is a GT coupe; big, heavy on luxury features, sloppy suspension . The S2000 is a true open roof sports car: 2-seats, standard LSD, short direct shifting transmission (not cable driven), standard sports seats, remote reservoir shocks (rear), no big heavy radio, etc.

You said something that's going to rub a lot of people here the wrong way. I like you because people need to learn to handle the truth. :D

9.8m/s/s 04-22-2008 01:38 PM

Having owned a MY01 S2000 for 2 years as my daily driver (and echoing the above comments) I would offer the following:

When you test drive one, make sure you keep the RPMs above 6K, the car becomes completely alive, the toque-less character of the engine becomes irrelevant. Below 6K the car drives like a RWD civic which is not altogether a bad thing. Fit and finish is very high. The car is very focused on driving only. The passenger literally has nothing. All the HVAC / radio controls are within fingers length from the steering wheel , the shift knob is titanium, the trunk is useless (especially w/ the CD changer, which is mounted in its own steel cage!) and it has a five star side impact rating. HID’s and LSD are standard, the steering wheel is small and the seats are made for the average sized Japanese individual (i.e. not American sized). I’m 5’ 10” 173 lbs. and it was perfect for me. My P-car friend who is 6’ 6” test drove the car and did not fit happily…

If Honda built a 2+2 couple version w/ a turbo I would not be on this thread.

Test drive both, but my suspicion is that you will not be comfy…

Benjamin Choi 04-22-2008 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 9.8m/s/s (Post 5338098)

If Honda built a 2+2 couple version w/ a turbo I would not be on this thread.

And thank goodness Honda has not and will never make a turbo S2000 - that goes against everything that is S2000. Turbo lag = lame.

But yea, if you're a big dog 6'6" popeye eatin' mofo, you best get a bigger car. Even the damn sport seats on the 911 is made for smaller, thinner people.