Sponsored by:

Turn signal bulb is out

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn signal bulb is out

Maybe it's a German car thing, but my left signal turn indicator happened to blink really fast and I guessed it was a bad bulb as this happened when I had my M3 and it was a bad turn signal bulb. Logically, my Japanese Honda never had this issue so I wouldn't know what it does when a bulb goes bad.

I had put on the "stealth" silver painted bulbs to get the egg yolk look out. Great results along the aesthetic front as it gave my car that complete monochrome look that I love, a dimmer amber light which I don't like, and a short life span it looks like which I dislike the most... to the point where I'm willing to go back to the stock amber bulbs.

Do you guys know of a quality silver bulb that will blink a bright, OEM amber? I sourced a set for my E46 M3, but not sure if the market is big enough in the 911 world for some vendor to care to produce and sell.

TIA
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM
Last Car
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben,
Not sure if this will help............there is a silver paint that you can paint on your OEM bulb. That way you get the 'right' bulb and you don't get the egg yoke look.
Just a thought,
Patrick
Old 04-11-2008, 09:19 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Ben,

See if this helps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...+parking+light
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

chs, I think they're referring to the little bulb next to the headlight projector lens. I'm talking about the actual turn signal bulb. As for playing around with the little LEDs... minutia.

I'm just going to pop in the factory amber ones. The silver painted ones cost something like $30 and have left a bad taste in my mouth by going out in less than 5 months.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by Last Car
Ben,
Not sure if this will help............there is a silver paint that you can paint on your OEM bulb. That way you get the 'right' bulb and you don't get the egg yoke look.
Just a thought,
Patrick
Thanks for the idea, but I never stayed in the lines as a kid and I think my coloring/painting skills haven't improved much since
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Ben I have a very high quality silver bulb they are made by Phillips. I haven't been able to find them in the US yet. I'll look around again and let you know. My bulbs came with the car (previous owner) so I don't know where he got them. They are not the bluish looking ones.

Andy
Old 04-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Ben I have a very high quality silver bulb they are made by Phillips. I haven't been able to find them in the US yet. I'll look around again and let you know. My bulbs came with the car (previous owner) so I don't know where he got them. They are not the bluish looking ones.

Andy
That's the IDEAL! I found some for the M3, but have not found a set pf Phillips silver bulbs that blink amber nice and bright for the 911. If I could source these, that would be the killer solution.

Thanks, UKid-Deezy. Be EZ.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:48 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

The bulbs you want are Philips Silver Vision PY21W. The only place I'm finding them are from the UK. http://www.motorbulbs.com/product_in...roducts_id/139
There are "knockoffs" on ebay but since they are not Philips I don't know how long they would last. http://cgi.ebay.com/PY21W-silver-chr...QQcmdZViewItem
You might have to order them from over seas (would be worth it for me) or keep looking to find a US source.

The Philips have excellent color are very bright and blend in with the housing. They have lasted 3 years so far.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
The bulbs you want are Philips Silver Vision PY21W. The only place I'm finding them are from the UK. http://www.motorbulbs.com/product_in...roducts_id/139
There are "knockoffs" on ebay but since they are not Philips I don't know how long they would last. http://cgi.ebay.com/PY21W-silver-chr...QQcmdZViewItem
You might have to order them from over seas (would be worth it for me) or keep looking to find a US source.

The Philips have excellent color are very bright and blend in with the housing. They have lasted 3 years so far.
You deserve applause. This is the thing that I've searched for in the past on Rennlist and have not been able to find.

Great work, many thx!

P.S. It's cheaper than the crap painted ones I bought on Amazon for $40 - Everyone with an MKII should get these bulbs. It's free shipping worldwide and cost me $23.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:59 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Group Buy?
Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74
Group Buy?
$23 US, 11 british pounds... that's pretty damn good ... v. the time expenditure trying to communicate with a vendor in the UK.

the problem with the ebay bulbs is this: because of the paint or the brightness of the bulb.... the amber light doesn't blink as bright as the OEM bulb. the phillips bulb is best of both worlds... get rid of the ugly amber glow to make your headlight all silver... no ugly blue... and then when using the turn signal, the suckers are as bright as the non silver factory bulbs.

look at the ugly amber glow... just imagine it all silver baby

Old 04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

The site I posted includes worldwide shipping too. I think it's a good deal. They also sell a 4 pack for a little better price break then you can do the rears too. I've been happy with mine.

Here's a pic.

Front:

Rear:
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

That's a clean look and the deal is killer. Really.

update:

stopped by the dealership and turns out it's the connection that was loose. the bulb works fine.

huge thx to service mgrs gary and justin of barrier porsche in bellevue, wa for dealing with my small mess. they totally didn't have to do anything (aftermarket bulbs), but they graciously stepped up. that means a lot.

Last edited by Benjamin Choi; 04-11-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:43 PM
wxseed
Instructor

I've ordered bulbs from this place int he UK, free shipping and they showed up in 6 days by airmail. It's a good company to deal with ..

http://www.powerbulbs.com/
Old 04-11-2008, 10:55 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I heard these were pretty good...

http://store.42draftdesigns.com/BAX9S-LED_p_8-33.html?

Quick Reply: Turn signal bulb is out