Sponsored by:

FUSE BLOWING, dash lights, license plate lights,

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
DWN$WVR
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FUSE BLOWING, dash lights, license plate lights,

2002 911 C2 with 12k miles. I noticed my instrument cluster lights were off at night although my headlights were on. The license plate lights were out too.

The first thing I did was check the fuse. Its a 15a and it was blown. I replaced it and it blew after about 10 minutes. I replaced the headlight switch. This morning it was on for about an hour and then the fuse popped again. I've taken out the bulbs for the license plates and everything in there looks new. Not rusty or anything like that. I left them out and put in a new fuse. Popped again. Each time you replace the fuse, sometimes it will last 30 mins and sometimes its an instant pop. The fuse only pops when you turn the headlights on, it stays in tact if you dont turn on the lights.

I'm desperate.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

put a 20 amp fuse in..... just kidding dont do that.

There were threads here about the headlight plugs being loose, rusty or defective, I would check the connections in the back of the headlights...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm... I suspect the headlight switch.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:10 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DWN$WVR
Each time you replace the fuse, sometimes it will last 30 mins and sometimes its an instant pop. The fuse only pops when you turn the headlights on, it stays in tact if you dont turn on the lights.

I'm desperate.
This sounds like a loose wire that is shorting... its not so much about the elapsed time but the moment when that bare (hot) wire touches ground.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:45 PM
DWN$WVR
4th Gear

Loren,

I replaced the headlight switch and still nothing. Last night I put a new fuse in, it didnt blow immediately. I tapped the rear bumper a few times around the license plate lights and it blew. I'm not sure if this is the "area" of the issue or if it was pure coincidence. I'm not looking forward to taking the rear bumper cover off since I would have to jackstand it then take off the rear wheels before taking off the bumper cover. I'm going to try taking the headlights out and make sure they are seated properly.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

If you can duplicate that again, you can bet that the short is behind the bumper or in the engine compartment area. Look at my avatar, you can take the bumper off w/o taking the wheels off.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
DWN$WVR
4th Gear

Thanks Redridge. I'm making it my Sunday project.

Quick Reply: FUSE BLOWING, dash lights, license plate lights,