996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looks like engine replacement needed - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a mechanic verify the engine is done?

Is there anything that looks abnormal that you can post pics of for us?
Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 AM
ssit
Intermediate

I plan to tow the car to dealer this coming week. The car can still start, in fact, no CEL. but I don't want to take the risk. will take some pic tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:00 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks like you do not have enough data to conclude 100% that you need a new engine.
John
Old 03-16-2008, 11:57 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ssit
I think I will just fix it in the local dealer and use it for another 2 years or so...
From a sheer economic point of view, that's your smartest move. There are guys who have thought hard about dumping their cars when this happens, but it's an expensive way to feel better. Unless you can reverse the rotation of the earth and sell the car last week, your best move is to amortize this cost over some years of use.

Very sorry to hear about the failure. As this unfolds, I'm sure everyone would be interested to hear what you learn about it.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rebuilt 3.4 on ebay 5500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW
Old 03-16-2008, 12:37 PM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default My experience as a new Porsche owner.

I bought my first Porsche last August, a pristine 40th Anniversary with just under 11,000 miles. Fortunately, it also had some of the new car warranty with an additional 2 years CPO beyond that.
After owning for 5 months and 5,000 the engine (intermendiate shaft) failed while sitting at idle. These engines don't blow, that is break under the heavy loads of making power, they fail, seemingly without provocation.
Again I must note, go check out the boards of other marques (say BMW or Corvette) as see if you find anywhere near the volume of posts of failed engines. It is one thing if the reports were to the effect of " I was hitting the redline in fourth gear when....." as opposed to the typical Porsche engine failure, " I just started, (or was idling, driving normally, cruising etc...) when I heard a terrible noise (followed by smoke, oil and/or coolant). These engines don't blow, THEY FAIL.
The intermediate shaft bearing in mine failed without any provocation on my part. This was a known problem from 1999 an still persisted five years later when my car was built. I am unaware of any other quality car which has this propensity for catastrophic engine failure, especially one that persists for years unresolved.
To date Porsche has not explained the failure rate of this component or what, specifically, has been done to resolve it. I can only conclude either they don't know or it is a fundamental problem that is horribly expensive to remedy and thus the decision is made to let the owners assume the risks and costs,once warranty expires.
The best answer I have heard is something to the effect that the replacement Intermediate Shaft bearing is "better" although the problem apparantly persists.
I will have a hard decision to make approaching the end of my CPO.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronston
I bought my first Porsche last August, a pristine 40th Anniversary with just under 11,000 miles. Fortunately, it also had some of the new car warranty with an additional 2 years CPO beyond that.
After owning for 5 months and 5,000 the engine (intermendiate shaft) failed while sitting at idle. These engines don't blow, that is break under the heavy loads of making power, they fail, seemingly without provocation.
Again I must note, go check out the boards of other marques (say BMW or Corvette) as see if you find anywhere near the volume of posts of failed engines. It is one thing if the reports were to the effect of " I was hitting the redline in fourth gear when....." as opposed to the typical Porsche engine failure, " I just started, (or was idling, driving normally, cruising etc...) when I heard a terrible noise (followed by smoke, oil and/or coolant). These engines don't blow, THEY FAIL.
The intermediate shaft bearing in mine failed without any provocation on my part. This was a known problem from 1999 an still persisted five years later when my car was built. I am unaware of any other quality car which has this propensity for catastrophic engine failure, especially one that persists for years unresolved.
To date Porsche has not explained the failure rate of this component or what, specifically, has been done to resolve it. I can only conclude either they don't know or it is a fundamental problem that is horribly expensive to remedy and thus the decision is made to let the owners assume the risks and costs,once warranty expires.
The best answer I have heard is something to the effect that the replacement Intermediate Shaft bearing is "better" although the problem apparantly persists.
I will have a hard decision to make approaching the end of my CPO.
I think this is an excellent point, one that nobody has ever made before. It is now important that we generate a twenty page thread in which hundreds of posters each find a different way to say "this shouldn't happen", over and over again until everybody is paranoid and pissed off, and we drive 'engine failure' right to the top of Google page rank for any 996 search. Thanks so much for initiating this long overdue, neglected topic of discussion.

It shouldn't happen. Got it. Now, if I were the king, I would only allow two kinds of posts on the subject: Posts about new failures we can learn from, and posts about solutions.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Ouch, there goes the market for used 996's.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 PM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BruceP
I think this is an excellent point, one that nobody has ever made before. It is now important that we generate a twenty page thread in which hundreds of posters each find a different way to say "this shouldn't happen", over and over again until everybody is paranoid and pissed off, and we drive 'engine failure' right to the top of Google page rank for any 996 search. Thanks so much for initiating this long overdue, neglected topic of discussion.

It shouldn't happen. Got it. Now, if I were the king, I would only allow two kinds of posts on the subject: Posts about new failures we can learn from, and posts about solutions.

Fair enough, this topic has been gone over repeatedly. However it re-emerges again every time yet another Porsche owner's car has yet another catastrophic engine failure.

Porsche could end this simply by coming clean on the issue. What is so problematic about a simple layshaft? Why is Porsche unable to come up with a final fix? If this is something that cannot be remedied why not just say so and maybe do something to help those affected.

I love the way my car looks and drives but I am unaware of any other modern engine that has this kind of ongoing problem. Maybe a little less money should be spent on slick advertising and bit more spent on engineering. This is not something that wears prematurely, it fails without provocation or warning and is clearly not the result of driver abuse.

I intend to do oil analysis at the first oil change after the repair and certainly on the last oil change prior to the expiration of my CPO.

One last note, it is easy to complain about the repetive nature of posts on this issue.......if you haven't had it happen personally. These threads will continue as long as this problem is unresolved.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by galeriehughie
I spoke with these guys couple of weeks ago and in my opinion I was left with the impression they would nickel and dime me and are used to problems with there product. They carriy a 6 month warrenty and said they would make it a 1 year if I paid them an extra $500 hence have chosen a porsche rebuilt for piece of mind. The picture they had in the add shows the only picture they sent me which does not show any detail and usually when an engine is rebuilt they look new because they hot vat all then engine parts block/ heads etc. Also I would count on paying there core charge because they want one that is rebuildable which could mean just about anything to reject yours. Just my 2 bits.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:24 PM
ssit
Intermediate

Here are some pictures I just took..

- it is still leaking coolant. The tank is almost empty and looks dirty
- can't tell for sure if oil is still leaking, and if it is mixed with coolant.
Attached Images     
Old 03-16-2008, 03:16 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Don't know if this was posted before

http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/911PW_Apr06.pdf

Seems to be a rational discussion of wet sump engine features and problems.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:31 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

@ ssit,

Are you sure you just didn't blow part of the coolant tank?

You don't have any other pics of something obviously wrong with the engine itself?

Have you tried pouring distilled water in the coolant tank and seeing if you can find where all the coolant leaked from?
Old 03-16-2008, 04:05 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Originally Posted by ssit
I think I will just fix it in the local dealer and use it for another 2 years or so - not sure how it will work to ship the car to Oregon, or sell it on ebay.

Any advice as to what I should replace at the sametime when doing the engine job? like clutch? starter?
You don't have to ship the car to Oregon, simply source the motor from there and have it put in locally. Swapping engines in this is not that complex as it was designed to be worked on out of the car. You could have a good indy repair shop do it at a lower cost. The reman engine should have a new starter and all accessories so you will not need to have those replaced at extra cost.

The clutch is something you will definitely want to consider. Carlsen is an OK dealer, but they still have tried to upsell me on stuff I haven't needed yet and their labor rate is $150/hr. You can do better than that. I don't believe that the dealer has to put the motor in the car to get the 2 year warranty coverage.

Good luck.

PS. I'm still not totally convinced that your motor is blown based on the evidence you have posted.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:19 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronston
Fair enough, this topic has been gone over repeatedly. However it re-emerges again every time yet another Porsche owner's car has yet another catastrophic engine failure.

Porsche could end this simply by coming clean on the issue. What is so problematic about a simple layshaft? Why is Porsche unable to come up with a final fix? If this is something that cannot be remedied why not just say so and maybe do something to help those affected.

I love the way my car looks and drives but I am unaware of any other modern engine that has this kind of ongoing problem. Maybe a little less money should be spent on slick advertising and bit more spent on engineering. This is not something that wears prematurely, it fails without provocation or warning and is clearly not the result of driver abuse.

I intend to do oil analysis at the first oil change after the repair and certainly on the last oil change prior to the expiration of my CPO.

One last note, it is easy to complain about the repetive nature of posts on this issue.......if you haven't had it happen personally. These threads will continue as long as this problem is unresolved.
Absolutely. But tell me this: How many posts have you seen from somebody who went to war with Porsche over this? Not very many. I think that someone with a new failure can help us understand this by sharing their stories. I think that someone who finds a solution can do the same. Otherwise, go after Porsche and you help us all. Complain on an internet forum without doing anything about it and you hurt us all. It's really that simple.

Quick Reply: Looks like engine replacement needed - advice needed