996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

tips on diagnosing a starter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 PM
rpratt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on diagnosing a starter problem?

My 2000 996 C2 seems be developing an odd starter problem. It cold starts fine, but if I'm running short (1-2 mile) errands, it gets harder to start the 2nd and 3rd times.
The 2nd and 3rd starts are very "slow" to begin, the starter sounds like the battery is almost dead, but if I keep cranking the starter will get its act together after 5-10 seconds and then I'm fine. All lights are at normal brightness, etc.
The problem only occurs after very short drives followed by very short stops. If I let the car cool off more before restarting, there's no problem, and if the drive is longer, there's no problem.
The symptoms don't seem to match a battery or alternator problem, which is why I'm thinking starter motor, but I'm puzzled as to what could be wearing out on the starter that's only a problem when the motor's hot.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 01-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have the battery tested first - especially if it is 4 years old or older.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:15 PM
rpratt
Advanced

Originally Posted by Loren
I would have the battery tested first - especially if it is 4 years old or older.
I'll give that a try, as I've replaced the battery once but it was 3-4 years ago. It just doesn't "feel" like a battery problem, but I'll get it checked to know for sure.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't profess to know more than Loren, but do a search if it's not the battery, I've heard starter problems that started (no pun) this way.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:36 PM
bronston
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Something to check

Try the starter with the headlights on and shining on something you can see. If the lights go way down when the starter is engaged, check the battery and connections. If your battery is weak and/or it has a bad connection the starter will drop system voltage way down and the lights dim. Have you noticed if the interior/instrument lights dim when the starter is used?
Do check the connections anyway. Don't just wiggle them to see if they are tight. Disconnect and clean with wire brush or some other suitable abrasive.

As always DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE (GROUND) FIRST AND RECONNECT IT LAST. SAFETY FIRST. We don't wan't to see any more rebuilding of post fire Porshes for a while.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like started to me, as heat build up there are more resistance with electrical circuit. Since you are able to start the car fine when cold.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
othomasjr
Racer

It sounds like I am having very similar if not the same symptoms you are. I've replaced the battery and nothing changed. Sometimes the starter will come to a complete stop and then roll over again and fire the engine.
How hard is it to replace the starter??
Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
How hard is it to replace the starter??
It's an easy DIY. You have to remove the throttle body and the intake plenum to gain access, but once you do that it's all straightforward.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To replace the starter in a 996 is way easier than the older 911s which you have to remove the drive axle and sometime even drop the motor a little just to gain access to the top starter bolt. Like Doug said, removing the intake will allow you to gain access. When I replaced my SAI valve I was able to see the starter once the alternator and SAI valve was removed. You could try to remove the alternator and the SAI valve instead of the intake to gain access.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Anyone have a DYI thread or anything similar? Photos would be a bonus. Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I don't think there is enough room to actually get the starter out without removing the plenum. It is pretty tight as it is:
Attached Images    
Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Thanks Doug! What exactly is the PLENUM?
I notice there are Bosch starters on ebay for around $230
Pratt, how do you plan to proceed?

Thanks to everyone for the input as always. This site is very good at putting your mind at ease.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Doug Donsbach
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by othomasjr
Thanks Doug! What exactly is the PLENUM?
I notice there are Bosch starters on ebay for around $230
The plenum is the composite (plastic) piece that mounts the throttle body. Paragon Products had the starter (Bosch re-manufactured) for $190.69 + refundable core.

Be mindful of the hard plastic vacuum lines, especially the one you can't see that is attached to the intake bridge (the rubber piece connecting the intake halves visible at the top of the last pic I posted), because you'll snap it off when you remove the starter. That's why the hose clamps are loose on that part in my pic - I needed to rotate it around to effect a repair.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:21 PM
rpratt
Advanced

Default lights don't dim, that's why I didn't think battery first

The lights don't dim when the car is starting, which is why I didn't think battery. Even when the starter is "struggling", the lights/radio/etc act normally. Of course, I still haven't gotten the battery tested, so I can't rule that out yet.

Bob

Originally Posted by bronston
Try the starter with the headlights on and shining on something you can see. If the lights go way down when the starter is engaged, check the battery and connections. If your battery is weak and/or it has a bad connection the starter will drop system voltage way down and the lights dim. Have you noticed if the interior/instrument lights dim when the starter is used?
Do check the connections anyway. Don't just wiggle them to see if they are tight. Disconnect and clean with wire brush or some other suitable abrasive.

As always DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE (GROUND) FIRST AND RECONNECT IT LAST. SAFETY FIRST. We don't wan't to see any more rebuilding of post fire Porshes for a while.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Bob, I can pretty much guarantee you that it's the starter. I've had the problem since I bought my car 4 months ago. I just went ahead and changed the battery hoping that was the issue. Wishful thinking on my part. A new battery did nothing and the car acts exactly the same.
Mine does the same....no dimming or anything related to a weak battery. It's just the starter and it decides to work better at some times and other times it makes you feel like you may be stranded. However, the starter NEVER really turns the motor like I feel it should, even when it isn't doing the whole "pause" thing.

Quick Reply: tips on diagnosing a starter problem?