Sponsored by:

H6W Litronic Parking Lights Led Replacement Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:50 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default H6W Litronic Parking Lights Led Replacement Update

I posted a thread a few weeks ago inquiring about certain topics pertaining to replacing the burnt out H6W bulbs in my litronic headlights with leds. Based on the comments posted in the thread, I made the jump and ordered a pair from www.42draftdesigns.com and I am very pleased. I opted for newer high output versions of the Bax9s led bulb that they recently began selling. The total for both shipped was $16, and for about the same price as I would have paid for replacement bulbs from Porsche, I am very pleased. Now we will see if they last the "life of the car" as promised.....

Included are two quick camera phone shots after I finished the install. Quality is poor, but it gives you a general idea of color and brightness.
Attached Images   
Old 12-19-2007, 02:50 AM
AutoEuropeCars
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good.
Those are the parking lights? They look like the headlights...tempted to buy a pair
Old 12-19-2007, 03:43 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Yes, those are the H6W parking/driving lights on a litronic headlight assembly. My stockers just burnt out and the options are basically to go Led for 8 bucks for 2 regular Leds or 16 for the brighter ones, buy stock replacements from Porsche for approximately 15 bucks (I think), or pay 30 bucks to have blue bulbs (Phillips Bluevision) shipped from Europe. It seems that this bulb configuration is quite rare in the U.S.

The color matches the Xenon headlights quite well, but the photo makes the lights appear brighter than they are. I would say they are about as bright, if not a little bit less bright, than the stock halogen parking lights. In the pictures above they look blindingly bright, which isn't the case in real life.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:12 AM
mickey6
Instructor

I have the same and can say for sure they look great. They are not too bright but not too dim either. Just perfect.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:54 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Those look fantastic. Very nice option to consider.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't see H6W actually listed in the LED products, which LED did you buy?
Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RF5BPilot
I didn't see H6W actually listed in the LED products, which LED did you buy?
He listed in the first post that he bought the High Intensity Bax9s bulbs.

Here is a link to the site and the LED. 42 Draft Designs
Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Thanks for the compliment Edward, they do look much better than the stock halogen lights and were definitely a good upgrade for $16. Tim is correct, the H6W bulbs that Porsche lists in the manual have a Bax9s base so the push-turn Bax9s bulbs have the same physical dimensions as the stock bulbs. For anyone that is going to order, check out the specials page on the site before you do. Through the end of December they are running 15% (I believe) off on all their Leds, only adds up to a buck or two but I will take any discount.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

By the way, out of curiosity, what are the city lights for. Did a search on the forum and the web and while everyone acknowledges them, nobody really describes what purpose the fulfill. Basically, I never really did understand their purpose 'under' the headlights. Incidentally, I don't remember having city lights on my 1998 BMW or 1992 VW. Maybe it's a newer model addition?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:33 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to rain on anyone's parade but bright "high" wattage LEDs REQUIRE adequate heat sinks and those look like they might allow the LED to last maybe a year of so. The is NO air circulation within the headlight assembly and the HB halogen plus the HID will make things a little WARM on their own.

The LED's themselves generally drop no more than 4 volts so a resistor must be used to reduce the 12-14 volts. That resistor is obviously mounted in the base thereby contributing to the overall HEATING level which MUST be "wicked" away if the LED is to have its forecasted long life.

You might want to find a way (relay??) to turn off the DRLs with the LB and/or HB on.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have one of my driving lights out now. maybe I will upgrade.

You might want to find a way (relay??) to turn off the DRLs with the LB and/or HB on.
Does it stay on with the xenon headlight on? I will check that tonight. It seems silly if it does.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

What is the wattage of the OEM and you replacement bulb?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 PM
judd944
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I checked, the running light stays on with the xenon light. strange, seems redundant.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:48 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Originally Posted by wwest
Not to rain on anyone's parade but bright "high" wattage LEDs REQUIRE adequate heat sinks and those look like they might allow the LED to last maybe a year of so. The is NO air circulation within the headlight assembly and the HB halogen plus the HID will make things a little WARM on their own.

The LED's themselves generally drop no more than 4 volts so a resistor must be used to reduce the 12-14 volts. That resistor is obviously mounted in the base thereby contributing to the overall HEATING level which MUST be "wicked" away if the LED is to have its forecasted long life.

I specifically asked the company before I bought the lights about the necessity of a heatsink per your previous posts. They replied and assured me that their leds are entirely plug and play and that no heatsinks need be used. I made sure that they understood that it would be used in a headlight assembly with no air circulation. They further assured me that if the lights were to burn out soon, they would replace them at no cost. They don't seem to put out much heat, and with xenon bulbs not putting out as much heat as traditional halogen lights, I wouldn't think that it would get terribly hot in there if just the low beam and city light were on. We will see what happens.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:50 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

As far as the purpose, I believe they are required for european cars and serve as daytime running lights in canada. I may be totally off in that regard but I remember reading something about that. They don't really serve a specific purpose in the U.S.

Quick Reply: H6W Litronic Parking Lights Led Replacement Update