Sponsored by:

Preliminary PPI results...opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preliminary PPI results...opinions please

Keep in mind that this info was from the seller, who said he spoke to the inspector. I haven't yet talked to the inspector directly but will tomorrow.

The car is a 1999 Carrera 4, approximately 80K miles, approximately $25K. Body and interior in good shape. Black exterior/beige interior, sports seats, manual transmission.

Four reported issues:

1) RMS leak. Seller said he saw no leak, but the inspector said there was a leak. I have to give bias towards the inspector obviously. I will find out how bad it is. From what I've read, this is a $1000 repair and isn't urgent unless really wet. I could fix it when servicing the clutch, but there's no mention of the clutch needing service right now.

2) CEL related to MAF. Seller didn't give specifics but said he could fix it as a condition of the sale.

3) #2 spark plug sealing poorly. I don't understand what that means exactly but the seller said he would fix it and all it needed was a cheap grommet or washer or gasket or something to that effect?

4) Moon roof doesn't work. Seller again said he'd fix this as a condition of the sale. He said it was a faulty cable or electrical wire or something.

After I talk to the inspector I will have full details, but I'd like to hear your preliminary opinions based on just this early info.

Thank you very much.

Nat
Old 12-19-2007, 02:11 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) RMS leak. If only RMS leak, not suprising on '99 with 80k miles. When fixed check also clutch and flywheel. Negotiate a reduction of the purchase price if you're left with the repair. For every serious buyer he needs to get it fixed or reduce the price.

2) CEL related to MAF. new MAF is <0.3k, get the CEL code from the PPI form

3) #2 spark plug sealing poorly. I don't know the consequences of this issue

4) Moon roof doesn't work. If it's not leaking and he gets it repaired, probably not a big deal
Old 12-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. As long as oil is not running out, but just seeping, you can live with it until a clutch replacement

2. MAF is about $300 and takes about 10 mins to replace DIY

3. Probably the O-ring on the boots, easy to replace and is common

4. If he said he will fix it, no big deal, but sounds like a reoccurence if it has doen this before.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
Nat
Instructor

So bottom line so far, it sounds as if you guys would accept the car?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:48 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

IMHO, that's a pretty short list.

The only thing I'd say is that I would look at the RMS issue differently if it was the car's first than I would if it had had a few. If this is the first, or if it had a replacement early in its life, that's a seal design problem and minor. If it's been eating RMSs regularly, that's an engine problem. A service history would be nice.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

+1

Dig into the RMS issue. It could be fine, it could be a prelude to bigger $ issues. Get the history.

My '03 had it, fixed it, and no issues since so its not necessarily a deal breaker. Caveat emptor.....
Old 12-19-2007, 05:01 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Really a fairly inexpensive 996. If you were that close already to a purchase to get the thing inspected, and after seeing list, agree with above. I'd buy.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:14 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

did he mention these faults up front... you dont need a PPI to find out about these problems. If the seller wasnt up front or "didnt know" about these faults then his character is questionable. JMHO
Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
did he mention these faults up front... you dont need a PPI to find out about these problems. If the seller wasnt up front or "didnt know" about these faults then his character is questionable. JMHO
double talk - may want to edit.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Really a fairly inexpensive 996. If you were that close already to a purchase to get the thing inspected, and after seeing list, agree with above. I'd buy.
I spoke with the inspector today and the problem list is quite a bit longer than what the seller reported (surprise). I would like to show you guys the bigger list but I'm at work right now and can't I will do it tonight though. Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The price is decent,and the complete list is available so you can decide if the PPI has more serious issues than your short list. Other than the RMS(which may or may not be an issue) the other items seem pretty minor.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:27 PM
Nat
Instructor

Okay, here is the synopsis. Most issues are what I'd consider very minor and liveable. They would not be good for a show car but I'm looking for a fun daily driver.
  1. Hot film sensor/check engine light
  2. spark plug boots/o-ring/spark pin
  3. RMS leak (described as "not gushing," perhaps under 1 tsp. after several hours but definitely wet)
  4. possible oil separator hose
  5. clean K&N filter
  6. left front axle seal leaking
  7. adjust parking brake
  8. washer bottle/hose leaking
  9. replace wiper blades and arm caps
  10. seats are dirt & cracked - typical for mileage and age
  11. left door panel
  12. CEL - hot film
  13. lighter inoperable -- blown fuse
  14. steering wheel dirty
  15. sunroof does not close
  16. radio inoperable -- blown fuse
  17. nick in lower portion of windshield
  18. various scratches & chips & dent right rear
  19. small dent from license plate
  20. nail in RR tire
  21. wheels scratched
  22. may need 90K service
  23. headliner has wear/scratched

Compression/Leakdown
1) 110/95
2) 115/95
3) 120/98
4) 120/98
5) 120/100
6) 120/98

Total estimated repair cost for every issue is $4319.

He said that he has seen better but he has seen worse, and the car is not good but not bad. He would not state if it was worth the asking price ($25,xxx) since he doesn't follow sales, but his take-home message was, "If it's at the right price, it'd be okay to buy." So is it at the right price based on this info?

p.s., One thing he said that made me pause was that there were several blown fuses. They replaced the fuses. All of those blown fuses give the appearance of a recent jump-start. Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

It doesn't sound like the guy took very good care of it cosmetically, or maintained it mechanically. You could probably find a car in better condition for $30K, which is what you would end up spending.

Personally, I would pass, mostly due to suspected poor maintenance that could lead to additional problems later. I'm sure others will chime in here too.

Last edited by gota911; 12-20-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by redridge
The seller told me, "There's nothing wrong." Some of the minor stuff, such as "small dent from license plate" and "headliner scratched" I'd let slide on my own car. The thing is there are some things one would definitely have knowledge of, such as the radio not working or the moon roof not working, yet the seller said "there's nothing wrong." I get the gut instinct that I cannot believe the seller.

Quick Reply: Preliminary PPI results...opinions please