OT=US selling to a Canadien Resident

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OT=US selling to a Canadien Resident

Hi, are there any issues if a Resident of Canada wants to buy one of my cars? I live in U.S.A
THANKS!
Steve
Old 09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

It's a very simple process and described in great detail in ths post on Pelican: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=288322 Many of us are driving around in US-sourced Porsches since the dealers up here price themselves too high on pre-owned. Now that our CAD $ is worth more than the US $, you'll be seeing more and more of us buying cars in the states!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about something more long distance - I've got an offer on my car from a guy in Norway. He says he'll handle the shipping arrangements. Assuming the check clears, are there any downsides selling internationally like that?

I hadn't thought about the strength of the Euro...
Old 10-01-2007, 01:05 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
It's a very simple process and described in great detail in ths post on Pelican: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=288322 Many of us are driving around in US-sourced Porsches since the dealers up here price themselves too high on pre-owned. Now that our CAD $ is worth more than the US $, you'll be seeing more and more of us buying cars in the states!
Nice.. thanks for the link!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can the Canadien resident drive home from U.S. with my license plates?
Old 10-02-2007, 01:16 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nutbeem
How about something more long distance - I've got an offer on my car from a guy in Norway. He says he'll handle the shipping arrangements. Assuming the check clears, are there any downsides selling internationally like that?

I hadn't thought about the strength of the Euro...
I did an inspection of a car in Palm Springs for a guy in Sweden.

He bought the car, paid by transfer, did the shipping etc etc - now he's on this forum - no issues as far as I could see (although I wasn't the seller - just the hands and eyes to check out the car)

And Norway doesn't use the Euro.....
Old 10-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Duane993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold my 993 to a Canadian rennlist member. Seems to be a fair amount of paper work upfront and some import duties and taxes. It's easier to pick the car up on the US side of the border then drive it through. Having a car carrier take it through adds to the cost and hassle factor.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:37 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
Can the Canadien resident drive home from U.S. with my license plates?
Some have, but there is a debate about the legality of it once you cross the border. Many have gotten a trip permit from the DMV in the state they bought it, but some states require that sales taxes be payed before issuing the tag which amounts to double taxation since you pay taxes in the province you register the vehicle in as well. Best to call your local DMV beforehand. In some provinces (like Alberta), you can bring your own plates to the US and drive the vehicle back, but you must register it within 14 days of doing that. Best bet is to have the vehicle shipped door to door using a company like Hansen's or TFX and it's not that expensive considering it's an enclosed carrier. They'll even handle the paper work for you with the US and CDN borders.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There was an article in Excellence (Feb 07) about buying a 911 in California and taking it to Canada labeled 'Califoria Dreaming'.May contain some helpful info.

Quick Reply: OT=US selling to a Canadien Resident