Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Edit: Exactly how should the gas pedal (BE REMOVED?!) feel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Edit: Exactly how should the gas pedal (BE REMOVED?!) feel?

Here's a question for you guys: I've been super happy with the '99 C4 I recently bought, but, I suppose my biggest gripe so far is the feel of the gas pedal. Two things: it feels a little loose side to side - your foot is on it and if you move your foot left and right, there is significant play. Enough play, in fact, on my drive home I reached under there at a rest area to see if the pedal was "about to fall off". Luckily it wasn't - it just seems like there is a bit of side to side slop.

My other issue with the gas pedal is that in-out movement (accelerate/decellerate) isn't super smooth. There are spots where it feels a little "sticky" - like if you're trying to modulate the gas a little bit while "cruising" around a curve, you lift your foot a wee little bit (maybe a 1/16" of an inch) but the pedal stays where it is. Then you lift a wee bit more and the pedal moves back this time, but it has now moved farther than you initially wanted.

The best way to explain it, I guess, is it feels like the equivelent to pedal bushings going on an older 911/914/356.

Is any of this normal? Is this the way an e-gas pedal feels? Or is mine ready for a rehab? Maybe I'm being picky here, but I want it to feel superb - the brakes feel superb, why not the gas, too...

Any insight would be good.

BTW, I had to change a low beam bulb - that's super trick how the whole headlamp assembly comes out! I was impressed, but now I found an extra place to clean...

Last edited by Van; 09-29-2007 at 07:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
stam+ (07-19-2023)
Old 09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have that problem, but a couple of guys talked about having a "sticky" accelerator pedal. Post #9 in the thread below has some info that may be exactly what you need to resolve the problem. If this works for you, please post the results back here so others can be helped in the future.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ht=accelerator
Old 09-27-2007, 10:23 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Alright! I'm inspired to fix it! I'll let you know the results.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

OK, so I tried to remove the gas pedal, but was unsuccessful... Anyone done this before? Am I just not using enough brute force, or does it need to move in a specific direction?

After undoing the screw, I couldn't get that thing to budge in any direction (up/down/left/right/out). I tried levering with a screwdriver (in all directions) was was afraid of braking the plastic housing.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, this is the extent of the directions in the factory service manual...
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a post a while back related to removing the cylinder behind the pedal for a stiffer feel, many did this mod at the time! Maybe somebody can resurrect that post! I remember it beung very thorough!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

My wife's 330i pedal feels sticky like that. I can't stand it. My '02 C4S feels perfect, so I don't think it is normal.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:40 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by michael.s.under
There was a post a while back related to removing the cylinder behind the pedal for a stiffer feel, many did this mod at the time! Maybe somebody can resurrect that post! I remember it beung very thorough!
I think what you're reference is a mod to remove the assist spring from behind the clutch pedal. I don't recall reading about any mods to the feel of the accelerator OTHER than the link to the post mentioned above that describes a way to lube and clean it for smoother feel. I'm hoping to find some time to do that this weekend. I'll take pictures if it's difficult.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Let me know how you make out Edward. I removed that one screw, but couldn't get the pedal assembly to move -- I pulled and pushed and levered and cursed... When I put the screw back in, it was aligned up perfectly, indicating that the pedal didn't budge...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Van
it feels a little loose side to side - your foot is on it and if you move your foot left and right, there is significant play..
Van,

I saw the info. about the stiffness, but nothing about side-to-side.

I'm having the side to side issue. Did you get any results there?

CP
Old 10-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Hi CP, I was hoping that once I had the pedal assembly out and had a chance to study it, I would be able to determin the root cause of the side to side issue and fix it. However, I have been unable to remove that damn pedal...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:48 PM
waynesworld
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Van, try pulling the top of the assembly toward the back of the car about 1/2" as you gently lift from the bottom with a screw driver under the pedal.
-Wayne
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
OK, so I tried to remove the gas pedal, but was unsuccessful... Anyone done this before?
Dude! Did you not read the post mentioned in post #2 of this thread? That post is mine, and I thought it was pretty clear.

Maybe I should have typed it slower.

The throttle pedal assembly has to be slid up and then pulled out. It has a large plastic hook thingie on the back holding it to the bulkheard. It's a firm fit, so it takes a bit of effort to get out, but you don't need to lever it out with a crowbar.

You'll realize what a firm fit it is when you try to get it back in and that #^$%^@$!&$^%^@* screw lined back up.

Good luck.

Michael
Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Dude! Did you not read the post mentioned in post #2 of this thread? That post is mine, and I thought it was pretty clear.

Maybe I should have typed it slower.

The throttle pedal assembly has to be slid up and then pulled out. It has a large plastic hook thingie on the back holding it to the bulkheard. It's a firm fit, so it takes a bit of effort to get out, but you don't need to lever it out with a crowbar.

You'll realize what a firm fit it is when you try to get it back in and that #^$%^@$!&$^%^@* screw lined back up.

Good luck.

Michael
Dude! I did read your post! I alluded to it when I said, after all my levering and banging and cursing, the screw was still perfectly lined up -- indicating that I didn't move it at all... otherwise, like you said, it would be HARD to line up.

I had a short prybar under the bottom of it trying to lift up, but was afraid that I'd break the plastic if I levered any harder. Luckily, though, I do have a nice 30" crowbar.

I'll take another stab at it tomorrow, if I get the chance, and try pulling the top away from the bulkhead, as Waynesworld suggests.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm on this project this weekend too. I'm going to emphasis the 'slide' up a la Michael's instructions. Will come back to you guys with details.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Dude! I did read your post!
I had a short prybar under the bottom of it trying to lift up, but was afraid that I'd break the plastic if I levered any harder. Luckily, though, I do have a nice 30" crowbar.
I was working on my GF's BMW this past weekend, and as I was trying to remove a wire from a plug (with the grumbling assistance of her 10 year old) I broke off a piece of the plastic plug.

"What was that?" she exclaimed.

"Nothing. You don't need it."

Lesson: Don't let anyone watch you fix your car. or her car.

Best of luck. It was tough to get out, but trust me, it just slides up and out.

Michael

Quick Reply: Edit: Exactly how should the gas pedal (BE REMOVED?!) feel?